SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa001

Help decide colors for house makeover. Painters coming NEXT week!

Lisa
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

AFTER WE PAINT (a lighter, brighter color), we will get a NEW ROOF (Maybe black or charcoal), update our lights fixtures and make our column thicker too. Our house faces south and so the front gets lots of sunshine. ALL ideas welcome!

1) WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR THE MAIN BODY? (all siding, garage and triangle and we're going with Sherwin Williams) OR GIVE YOUR OWN FAVORITE COLOR:

--- SW Repose Gray

--- SW Mindful Gray

--- SW Dorian Gray

2) WHAT TRIM OPTION DO YOU LIKE? or your own idea?

a) White trim on all trim, column and gutters. Eider white or possibly extra white if going Repose Gray.

b) White trim around garage door and windows and Black Fox (Dark) on the roof line trim

c) All trim painted darker color (maybe Black Fox or Gauntlet)

d) Triangle painted a different color - like two shades darker or lighter on the strip than main body.

3) BONUS QUESTIONS - or what else am I forgetting?

--Do I paint the back of the house trim the same as the front? Many brand new houses around here only have white trim on the front side of their houses and paint sides and back same color as the siding.

--What color should we go with on the roof (Black, Charcoal, other?)

--Favorite color for front door?

Comments (54)

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Found another sample for you to consider. Clapboard in Gauntlet Gray (SW 7019), shakes are DoveTail (SW 7018), trim and garage door is Origami White (SW 7636), So in your case, you could do the darker Gauntlet Gray on the body of the house or Dovetail. Both great looking grays with white. The roof looks like it is a mix of gray and browns. These grays are darker that Dorian. So there is more of a contrast with the white.

The Broadmoor - Fall 2013 Parade of Homes Model · More Info

Lisa thanked houssaon
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much for your ideas!! One thing I didn't mention is that our house siding is steal and I don't think it was painted correctly and now is peeling (where the sun hits it the most). I have done some research on how to paint it the right way and one thing I have heard is it's best to go with a lighter color so it reflects more light and doesn't get so hot. That is why I was thinking Repose for a while. I'm considering a little darker color now because I don't want it to be too bright to look at when it's sunny!
  • Related Discussions

help the painters are coming on Monday!!!!

Q

Comments (9)
    The thread sammi2 mentions has some great colors: add to the list Benjamin Moore's Crown Point Sand (a neutral, earthy green), Baby Turtle (darker) and Camouflage (light) -- both popular greens on these boards. Ellen Kennon's Ashen Green is very pretty, too -- I believe you can only have Sherwin Williams mix her colors, though. Here's the link to a recent post re A.G.: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0316462329182.html My kitchen is done in B.M.'s Crown Point Sand (with toffee maple cabs) and I love it: Also, check out this additional thread on greens: Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Greens
    ...See More

calling all painters - help - sw or bm paint for new house

Q

Comments (10)
    Very Interesting News for EVERYONE. I just got a call from the Benjamin Moore store that sells the paint to the painter. Apparently BM just came out with a new version of Moorgard and Moorlife that has a LIFETIME warranty like Duration. The best part is the price does NOT change. Just like Duration the product is thicker and uses some new technology. I hate to be the guinea pig but a life time warranty for exterior paint sounds appealing. The only catch is the warranty is available only on the Exterior paint line. Apparently they didn't upgrade the interior paints. That will probably come later. The new model number is N105 and N103. The additional (N) in the part number is the important part. That specifies that the base is the new concentrated mix that comes with the lifetime warranty. If anyone else familiar with this? Thx Big Tex More Info: http://benjaminmoore.com/wrapper_pg3.asp?L=prod&K=xprods&N=prodext&groupid=8&productid=255#article Here is a link that might be useful: New Lifetime Warranty for Benjamin Moore!!!!
    ...See More

Great room paint color suggestions, painter coming this week!

Q

Comments (34)
    sheila, I love the Shaker Beige! I have seen it mostly at night this week because it's been so dark when I get home from work, but I would describe it as very warm also. It looks almost soft gold in low light, but really gives a nice feeling to this room where we spend most of our time. Really like the Woodlawn Blue too, although that one is taking a little more getting used to. I feel like I have some work to do tying it in to the rest of the house, if that makes sense. For example, when time/budget allows I want to replace the builder carpet on the stairs with a striped runner with a little bit of blue in it. Have seen some DIY ideas online and think we can do this ourselves. (As usual, one thing leads to another!) I'll post pictures tomorrow when I'm home in the daylight!
    ...See More

Front door color?? Painter comes tomorrow!! (pics)

Q

Comments (81)
    Ath this point I think it may be awhile. After balmy temperatures for so long things have turned cold and damp, not a good combination for painting. I'm waiting for the new sidelights to come in and may just wait for them to complete the whole thing at once. In the meantime, I have the luxury of more time to make a decision that is pretty much guaranteed to look good no matter what I do, thanks to squirrel's mockups. No lost sleep over this one!
    ...See More
  • parker_31
    5 years ago

I love Dorian Gray! It's the perfect neutral gray -- doesn't have a yellow or blue cast to it, at least not on my interior walls. Played around with some of your ideas to see what they'd look like. I personally love a warm brown stained door but tried out a dark grey here (maybe similar to Black Fox). Doesn't feel like a dramatic change to me, if that's what you're going for -- and maybe you're not! But I think the overall look is crisp and clean feeling.

Lisa thanked parker_31
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    5 years ago

This house has a sunny, cute disposition & I would not go gray. I would keep all trim & the shake portion above garage white. I could see a blue/green/gray (muted grayed-down version) to replace the green. Brownish gray roof, bronze modern light fixtures, new column (will do wonders).

Lisa thanked Color Zen
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm so thankful for everyone's thoughts on this!! Love the pictures parker_31. those are so helpful!

-- Maybe I would like the white gable better if the body of the house was a brighter/fun color. I'm not totally convinced. I was pretty set on gray and painting the gable! :)

-- I saw a picture of Dorian Gray cut 50% and loved it. But it does probably have a more serious feel instead of cheery.

-- I do not think a new garage door is an option at this point, unfortunately. Would love to have a more interesting door for sure. Maybe some day.

-- I will look into more cheery colors. If you have names of ones you suggest, please say those!

Other advice I've gotten prior to this post just for FYI

1) Choose a color you love and paint the entire house with it, that big triangle and all. It will look far more cohesive. Paint the front door a bright color like blue.

2) Nobody would buy a new business suit, then have the right arm or left pant leg dyed bright orange, but they'll paint their garage door or roof gable stark white.

I just don't get it.

3) Benjamin Moore Camouflage with a Dark charcoal grey roof.

4) Painting the gable would make the house look more expensive.

5) Paint the garage door white. Paint the front door a red or blue color. Larger Porch Post. Architectural roof shingles in a black color. New fresh landscaping.

This is Dorian Gray cut 50%

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

How important is it to carry out a color inside the home as well? Our main interior colors are Pacer White (Creamy), a warmer gray flooring and oak trim. We have no plans to paint with green.

I had been considering Agreeable Gray or Anew Gray. It's a little more cheery....but maybe not enough?

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I never heard of steel siding. Learn something every day!

If you want to paint the gable a different color go a step darker than the body of the house as in parker_31 photo above.

• Izzy Mn
    5 years ago

I think the agreeable and renew gray are nice. I think they look more beige to me but I like it. My house was painted a gray for 15 years and I always referred to it as battleship gray so am over gray..but.. the Dorian gray is nice. I think you should paint the triangle above garage the same color as body of house, not white, the white is too much. I would keep all trim white.

Or you could paint the triangle a darker or lighter shade of the gray like this. I think it's a good look. I've been seeing the two toned more lately. ( I googled two tone gray houses and a lot came up)

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/pennsylvania-place-craftsman-exterior-chicago-phvw-vp~46553176[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/pennsylvania-place-craftsman-exterior-chicago-phvw-vp~46553176)

Regarding steel siding. That stuff lasts forever. My parents neighbor has it, at least 40- 50 years old and in good shape. Paint was peeling a number of years ago and they had it painted but it started peeling again, I don't think they did enough prep just slapped paint on. I think it's not uncommon for paint having adhesion issues on steel siding. They had it repainted again with more attention paid to prep ( a lot of scraping) and correct primer. I don't know the details on what kind of primer however. I would do some checking on the correct way to prep and ask your painter if they are well versed on insuring that paint will adhere properly to your steel siding.

Yeah, you can drive yourself insane with paint colors.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I would treat the garage door like the front door and trim.

I would double the size of the light fixtures.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Heading to the paint store now to check out some soft gray options! if anyone has Sherwin Williams suggestions, let me know...or they could match other brands of colors too.
  • gm_tx
    5 years ago

I agree with Color Zen, and I love parker_31's mockup!

SW Illusive Green is a really nice gray with a touch of green to it. Not too warm and olive-y, though. Has a lot more life to it than just boring gray. Looks beautiful with stained wood, if you decide to beef up your column with natural wood, and/or update your front door eventually.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm so so thankful for everyone's thoughts on this. Next week is coming so quickly!! Did I mention I hate making decisions!?! :/
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Could someone show me what our house would look like to paint the Gable the same color as the body of the house? And may I ask how are you doing those visualizations?
  • flopsycat1
    5 years ago

Is anyone else distracted by the oversized trim on the sides of the windows? How would it look if the long side pieces were painted the color of the siding to make them disappear?

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

My first thought, flopsycat1. Wonder if the siding is in good shape behind those? The windows are not enhanced by that trim. I don't think of gray as a "bright" color. How much fun can the neighborhood stand? I'm thinking yellow, green or even a plum color.

• tackykat
    5 years ago

I would not paint the triangle/gable/above the garage white or cream if the rest of the house is a darker color. It just draws attention to it.

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

I would choose the roof color first. There are thousands of paint colors but only a handful of roof options.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Now that you have gone to the paint store, you've come back with 8 choices. Keeping in mind that you are going to change the roof to a darker gray, consider each and come up with the top three.

You can use the mock-up parker_31 did with a gray roof without the wood door, since you are not going to do change your garage. Download it to your system and then try loading it up to the Sherwin Williams visualizer to check out the colors. Frankly, I find their app a pain, but it might work for you.

Or you can trust your gut and pull the ones you like best. Buy samples and paint them on foam core board to view them on your house. It is better, in my opinion to use form core rather than painting directly on the house. Having multiple samples on the house is distracting and just makes the process more difficult.

As for what do people use, some use an app called Photoshop, which is pretty expensive and is a learning experience, but gives really realistic visuals. Some use Paint - a MS product that comes with the operating system - crude but it can be effective. Others use something else.

• parker_31
    5 years ago

Removed the wood garage door/door update from my previous image and made the gable section the same color as the house. Hope it helps! (I saw your question above -- I'm using Photoshop.)

• parker_31
    5 years ago

Just saw where someone wondered what the house would look like if the wide window trim was the same color as the house. Quick attempt here:

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, thanks for those photos!! So very helpful! If you see this, would you mind doing a combo of your last picture (painted around windows) and a white gable?
  • parker_31
    5 years ago

No problem. :-)

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 years ago

My house is Mindful Gray with Black Fox shutters. I get a lot of compliments on it.

This is not a great pic, kind of overexposed.

We are painting our cabin Gauntlet with Sealskin trim. Shutters are Composed. The orange is a fun accent for a bench and some planters.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    5 years ago

Parker's post here 'Just saw where someone wondered what the house would look like if the wide window trim was the same color as the house. Quick attempt here:' was perfect, both with the matching color of the gable and the trim around the windows.

What a huge difference. The garage gable overwhelms the house in size, so I hope that you paint it the same color as the rest of the house, and also do around the windows like in that example.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Those are great colors! The house across the street from us is Gauntlet Gray. They have tan with some orange stone. It's gorgeous!
  • Lisa thanked partim
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That could be a possibility - it really would be nice to have something else up there. Thanks so much!

I'd love to see what it could look like with a thicker pillar too, if any of you are able to Photoshop that in? A thicker plain square pillar would be great on at least one of the last three photos!
  • partim
    5 years ago

Just fooling around with some ideas. If you go with this, you'd want to box around your porch post to make it square too, and a little larger.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Your porch post needs to be much larger than pictured to balance the huge and unbalanced garage gable. You have the right idea there. That is also why I prefer the gable painted to match the rest of the house.

Overall, it seems like most of the trim is not beefy enough to support a big contrast in color (and I love a warm gray with crisp white trim, but the trim has to be more of a feature, when small/thin it looks like an afterthought.) At the least I wouldn't paint the line dividing the gable and lower garage white. I think a moderately darker tone of your siding color would be good.

Maybe partim would be kind enough to try out both somewhat darker and slightly lighter shades on the trim for us?

ETA: Don't do a black roof, the summer heat gain inside from black is significant. Choosing a roof color first is actually very good advice -- there are really nice gray-brown-multi blends that look good with lots. Weathered Wood (most brands have a version) is always a favorite of mine.

• partim
    5 years ago

With your large gable, you could add some Craftsman elements to the house, or use a Craftsman color scheme. The green would be a good start. Some rust brown/red would really pop with the green, maybe for your door. And go with cream rather than stark white trim.

• partim
    5 years ago

Sadly, I'm not really good at that type of imaging. Straight lines are about my limit LOL.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks!!! All ideas welcome!

For the body of the house, we are pretty sure we want a medium toned or light/med color (with white trim to match pretty well with our white backyard fence).

The current color is Connected Gray and we are ready for something lighter, brighter and something that has a pretty good balance of cool and warm.

I'm planning on painting poster boards soon! Painters haven't been here yet, so I have more time phew!! Keep ideas coming!!
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm curious what it would look like if all around the windows be white, like the siding at the bottom of them as well as the sides. Could it be a tie in with the white gable? Would anyone be willing to Photoshop that?
  • parker_31
    5 years ago

I know you've already said you aren't planning on updating the doors but I had created this a few days ago when I was playing around -- it shows the wider porch column that others have mentioned. You could obviously do that in white. Wanted to share it since I already had it made. To me, this feels more craftsman -- like partim suggested. I have no architecture training/education so that's my uneducated opinion. :-)

• parker_31
    5 years ago

I don't think painting white around the windows will look right. It kind of dates the house or something?

Lisa thanked parker_31
  • gm_tx
    5 years ago

You've gotten lots of great suggestions here!

I do not think the gable pediment fits with the style of your house, though, so would disagree with that suggestion.

Did you decide on your colors, Lisa?

• parker_31
    5 years ago

Sorry for all my posts! I'm still catching up on all the comments -- here's what I think raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohiois suggesting? Correct me if I'm wrong. May not have the colors exactly right, but you can see what a more monotone color scheme would look like, as opposed to a white trim.

Lighter trim

Darker trim

Lisa thanked parker_31
    5 years ago

Yes, Parker_31, that is what I was curious to see! Thank you!

I do like the more monotone, not sure if I like lighter or darker trim best. And this would work well with any of the pretty colors that you posted last Friday.

Then I would consider switching the lights by the garage door to larger fixtures, maybe black, and maybe painting the front door black as well? Or another stronger color?

ETA: your white fence will still look good with those soft colors, even if you don't have white on the house itself.

Lisa thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Please do not apologize for all the posts parker_31! They are so helpful!!! Of the paint samples I tried on poster board, we like SW Oyster Bay and Magnetic Gray the best --- but I'm not sure if either are exactly right.

I see what you, raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio, are saying about the trim not necessarily being white because it's not very prominent. However, that is one thing we originally thought made our house more interesting :) since we don't have brick or stone. If we go with a more monotone scheme, I definitely like going lighter with trim... Oh man, all these suggestions are great! Still think I might keep the white triangle which is a big switch for me (I just don't know!) :)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The wider post looks really good in those pics! Cannot wait to make that happen!

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

I really like the gable in the same color of the house. It's very dominant and the pitch is steeper than the rest of the house. Having it white makes it look top heavy and brings all the attention to the garage. Keeping it the same color will let it recede and become part of the house so you can focus attention on the front of the house with landscaping and a pretty color door. JMHO-ymmv.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update for you!!! I think it's looking really good. Thanks again for all your help!

We decided to try keeping the white strip between the garage and gable green like someone suggested! Thoughts?? We still have the option of making it white.

What do you think about the light?--color, style or size?? it's the one we both liked best at the store. But we could keep looking :)

We WILL beef up the post.... just haven't gotten to that point yet!

Thanks again!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, any thoughts on a front door color!? :) and is okay to paint the storm door the same color as the door? We'd really like to keep it.
  • josielcpc
    5 years ago

Lisa, since your front door is under an overhang, I think you need a bright color to make it "pop." Perhaps a shade of red or bright blue. Be bold!!

5 years ago

It is looking good! Painting the gable to match has made a big improvement!

I like the lamp -- the size is good and the black will show up better. I would paint the address post below it black too.

I also approve of not painting that dividing strip white as that helps to de-emphasize the out of balance gable. I like the color overall!

How do you feel about a kind of bittersweet orange for the door? Black would be great too -- a blue also, but I can't confidently suggest a particular blue to go with the siding -- maybe someone else will chime in with one. Yes on painting the screen door to match! Otherwise, your color will be mostly hidden.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like the idea of Bittersweet Orange or I was even thinking a Autumn-like yellow. The lamp is actually bronze colored even though you cannot tell from the photo. We also need to get our roof done and I am leaning toward weathered wood. Thanks so much for your comments!
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

I like what you have done so far. The gable does not dominate as much now. I like the lamps. Please update us after lamps installed and new post put in.

• Izzy Mn
    5 years ago

Wow, looks great. Painting the Gable above garage the same looks great.

I would get a different larger post for your address. Like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/313774299017262345/

Just added: Or if and when you get a larger more beefy post by front door walkway I would put address on that. It would be up higher and easier to see from street.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor