SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_tex_gw

calling all painters - help - sw or bm paint for new house

big_tex
18 years ago

Calling all Painting Professionals and knowledgeable consumers... I'm torn and don't know what to do. Let me preface my questions by stating that I didn't know a thing about paint until I read all the wonderful information on this site. The info on this site is incredible and I feel like I've learned so much. All of my quotes are based on data I picked up here. Thx for sharing all this valuable knowledge.

Well I've finally settled on a painter and he's provided several options for our "new old house". We're building a very traditional house in Texas where the temperature is going to be 80 degrees or more for the next 6 months. We're painting our brick exterior and we'll install either a smooth flat or light orange peel finish in the interior. Our cabinets are being built by a local cabinet professional who paints (finishes) the cabinets at his shop. Supposedly he uses some special industrial SW paint that's only available for commercial use. He claims it more durable and lasts longer. I hope it's worth the premium....

Now the questions. I'm trying to determine which paint brand to use. I want to purchase the best product out there at the most reasonable price. I'd like to avoid repainting the exterior for at least 10 years and I'd like for the interior to be easy to clean and touch up. For the record my wife likes the BM colors the most.

Please guide me to the best quote below. I'm a quality freak....

My paint quote (labor & materials - primer w/ two coats) came in at $18,000 for Sherwin Williams Super Paint and $20,000 for Benjamin Moore Moorguard. The SW includes super paint for exterior and interior. The BM includes Moorguard for the exterior and their contractor product for the interior. I thought the prices were very reasonable. Thoughts?

The painter swears there is little difference in quality between BM premium interior paint and the contractor version. Thoughts? Is this BS?

To upgrade to SW Duration I'd have to pay another $3k. Is it worth it? I'd still need two coats hence the significant price increase.

What do you think? What do your professionals use to paint brick exteriors? What brand would you paint your house with? My brick is exposed to the sun and we get hammered with all the elements in Texas. It's going to take a beating so it needs to be high quality. Plus I want it to look good.

Please provide me any and all advice. I'd love to hear what people think of BM and SW. Is the quality equivalent, are the colors as rich, should I upgrade, etc...?

Thx in advance for any and all advice!

Big Tex

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!