SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mevans426

Were we a baseball team, we could use all this grass. But we're not.

Matt
5 years ago

So we bought this lovely house on a nice double lot, which we really like because we enjoy not having the neighbors too close. But c'mon, nobody needs that much grass, plus it'd be even better if we couldn't see the neighboring houses at all. We could use some advice on what to do about it. We're saving our money to put into the deck so I'm looking for something DIY I could do mostly myself, and what I was thinking was basically to outline a reasonably sized lawn there in the middle and kill all the rest of the grass. Then plant some larger trees strategically to block the visible houses, and a bunch of smaller trees that would grow up over time to increase the density of the "woods". The former grass area would be so large that pine needles would probably be the only feasible mulching material, both from the standpoint of cost and also the logistics of putting it down since the gate isn't big enough for a dump truck. My questions about that idea are 1) I know it would take a lot of herbicide to kill the grass initially (sorry, I don't think I can tackle eliminating that much grass by hand) but I feel like afterwards I could keep a pretty good handle on the regrowth through the mulch just by more frequent smaller applications. Is that unrealistic? and 2) Could I get away with "no dig" edging for the remaining lawn? It'd probably be about 350 feet of perimeter so of course I'd rather not dig, but I suppose the edging that goes down into the soil would be a lot better at containing the lawn.

A friend suggested as an alternative to go ahead and delineate the smaller lawn, but rather than killing the rest of the grass to just let it grow and see what happens as it turns into more of a meadow effect, which might be fine. I suppose the only risk to that is just that it might look awful for a while and then we do the original plan or something else anyway. Is there any other downside to that?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Matt

Comments (14)