SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattyl11

Tile partial or all the bathroom walls?

pattyl11
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am planning on renovating my narrow 4'10" X 10' bathroom . I will tile the bathroom floor and shower walls, and use a shower pan. Would it be unusual to tile just the vanity/toilet wall and not the others? The 4'10"wall consists of only the door and the return end of the vanity, so that leaves just one long wall left untiled. The reasoning about only tiling the vanity/toilet wall is that I am planning on using a travertine look porcelain tile for the floor and shower, and I'm concerned about it looking too closed in if I tiled all the walls in this narrow room. Whether I tile all walls or just the vanity/toilet wall, I would tile it to chair rail height, and paint the remaining walls. What makes this confusing is the 10" wide bump out area to the right of the shower outlined in red on the plan.

If it is OK to tile ONLY the vanity wall half way up :

#1 . Would I tile the bump out area with a full tile wall like the shower wall it is next to or a half wall like the vanity/toilet wall it adjoins?

#2. Should I tile the return wall at the end of the vanity?

My other options are:

#3 Tile ALL the walls half way up?

#4 Tile the floor and shower only and just have a vanity backsplash, using either tile or the countertop material, behind and to the left of the vanity?

The difference in the plan photo is that the plumbing is actually in the bumped out red area and I will be enlarging the shower from a 32" depth to a 36" depth which leaves about 3" to the edge of the bump out for bullnose. I am also doing away with the recessed makeup area and using a full 48" floating vanity instead. Your thoughts please.

Comments (2)