SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_ferry

Should I convert dining room to bedroom?

Jordan Ferry
5 years ago

Hello,

My 1950's brick ranch in Northern Virginia was purchased as a 3 bedroom (2 on main level, 1 in basement) and 3 bathroom home.

It turns out in the 1970's, one of the bedrooms was converted into a dining room by opening up a side wall and closing off the door in the hallway. I didn't realize this at time of purchase.

View from living room into dining room (converted bedroom). You can see the original bedroom closet in the background)

Rough sketch of floor plan:

My question: Would I be crazy not to convert the dining room back into a bedroom for resale value as a 4 bedroom home (3 on main level, 1 in basement)? It would cost nearly nothing to close up that wall and reopen the old door and I'd imagine it'd fetch more for resale. It would close up a wall and make the house a little less open feeling.

If I did so, I need advice on where to place a dining table.

I know the trend is open concept kitchens and eating on peninsulas. There's only a little space for a very small table between the kitchen/living room and stairs to basement (approx. 7' from kitchen to stair railing and about 10 feet wide (this was actually the original dining room space before stairs were moved here.)

Is this enough and should I place the table right up against the stairs?

Comments (13)