SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
retail29

Delta Rough In Valve connection leak

J. Cecil
5 years ago

In July, I remodeled our bathroom and replaced an old cast iron tub with a shower. I installed a Delta rough in valve. I soldered the 1/2" adapters to the copper pipe then tightened the hot and cold connections very tight. I pressure tested for 3 days with no drips, the started work. I finished the shower after a week and when I closed it up, (put the trim plate over the valve, now 10 days) there were no drips.

We have used it for two months. I was under the house a week or so after to install a water hammer arrestor in the adjacent bathroom (a couple of feet way from this shower), and all was dry.

Last night, my wife told me she heard the toilet (also replaced) dripping. I went in and heard what she was hearing but it wasn't coming from the toilet, it was coming from the shower. Drip, 5 seconds, drip, 5 seconds,, etc… I pulled the trim plate off and the cold water connection is leaking at the threads where it connects to the rough in valve.

This was pressure tested for at least 10 days! It was not dripping a couple of days ago. It is well protected inside the tiled shower wall.

There is virtually no room to work in there. The 1/2" adapter is soldered to the copper pipe, so I can't just tighten it.

Question: Can I turn the water off, remove the guts in the valve and sweat this (threaded, brass/ copper) connection?

If not, what are my options?

Comments (38)