SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidocd

How I became a Grohe convert (and beware the Delta Lahara)

OrchidOCD
12 years ago

So, in the process of planning my master bath remodel, the classic 'scope creep' of redoing a half-bath crept in, and I found myself ordering new vanity, granite counter, sink, faucet, etc., etc. "No problem, I can do that myself", says I.... And all went beautifully, until I got to the Delta Lahara faucet, not a low-end faucet but a product designed and manufactured in a very wam climate, it seems.

Long story short - the Delta 'quick connect' connection between the 8" center spread valves and spout is anything but 'quick'. In fact, it's a total piece of garbage. 2 of the 3 wouldn't compression connect - no matter how much pressure was put inti forcing them together, they clicked, but wouldn't hold under water pressure. The 3rd connected so well that in removing it, the stupid plastic clamps popped off. This I found out when I ripped out the poorly designed faucet and marched out to my nearest big box store and got a Grohe Arden as a replacement.

the Grohe wasn't as pretty, but it's connections are all metal compression fittings - beautifully engineered in every respect, right down to the well-thought pop-up drain lifter. So, I'm now swapping out all of the fixtures I'd planned for the master bath and main bath for Grohe's. I figure if they're so well-engineered a non-plumber can do a full mini-remodel in a weekend with no issues or leaks, they're well enough engineered to be flawless in the bigger professional remodel.

Anyway, just my plug for a well-engineered product from a DIYer's point of view, and a warning about the flaws in design of the Delta Lahara. Maybe I just got a lemon Lahara, but even one lemon's too many in my opinion.

Comments (7)