SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

How is Price Pfister quality?

kelleg69
15 years ago

My plumber loves Moen. I have decided to go with those faucets throughout the house, but I was reconsidering my choice in the kitchen b/c I started thinking I might want stainless instead of chrome and I don't like Moen's stainless color. I saw some faucets at HD today and I love PP's stainless color. Are their faucets decent quality? I have also started thinking that I don't care that much if I need to replace the kitchen faucet in 5 years or so because I am considering a lower priced pullout faucet that won't be a showpiece or a star of my kitchen. I have replaced the faucet in my current kitchen once or twice in 10 years (one was a Delta, can't remember other brand).

Back to the original question--do you have a PP and if so, do you like it?

Comments (30)

• megradek
    15 years ago

We have PP in our current master bath (for the last 3 years) and have been very pleased with the quality (Marielle design). PP has some very high end fixtures that aren't available through HD or many big stores, but could check their website for a dealer near you (they're out of California). I would put PP's quality against any of the mass market brands (including Moen) with the exception of the high end kohler stuff. Make sure to get a faucet with a ceramic disk versus plastic. We are doing our whole home in PP faucets and fixtures (every bath, sink, rainshower, thermastatic valves, etc.), so we will find out more in a couple months!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mairin, thanks for weighing in. I have been checking out the website. I think the Marielle is pretty. I just went to HD to see the finishes. Thanks again. Good luck with your new bath.

PS--I think my plumber likes Moen so much b/c they really back up their products where there is trouble.

• Related Discussions

Anyone have Price Pfister Marielle faucets?

Q

Comments (19)
    Pinktoes - We were more like Nomads! We had sold our house and were renting an apartment when DH took the travel job. DH was gone for a month at a time and could only come home for one weekend a month. It was hard for all of us being away so we packed up everything and put it in storage and went with DH! We drove everywhere as we had a Golden Retriever so flying was not a option. I home schooled DD for most of kindergarten and half of first grade...(HS was not a could fit for me or DD! LOL!) I told DH I would do it for one year and then I felt it was important for DD to be settled and in school. It did help us save up money to buy our land and start to build by not having to pay rent :-) DD did get to so so many wonderful things. We went from one coast to the other! Boston was one of my favorite places but I fell in love with Salt Lake City! Oruboris - The sales lady at the store I went to was really more concerned with making a sale then anything! I pressed for questions for the difference on the PF and Moen faucets but she really just kept saying they were about the same. She stated that she has had customers that swear by PF and some that swear by Moen, etc. I did not like the comparison she showed me for Moen, that looked like the Marielle. I really liked the PF so that is what we decided to go with. Good idea about ordering the extra parts! I might have to follow you on that one.
    ...See More

price pfister tuscan bronze finish falling off!

Q

Comments (2)
    I emailed P-Pf about a problem with my kitchen faucet, they were fantastic. Identified the problem, apologized for the inconvenience & replaced it, couriering the item to my door (& I'm in Canada) Ask them to replace it.
    ...See More

Leaking PricePfister faucet (photo)

Q

Comments (11)
    While washing dishes a dripping hand is constantly touching the handle to turn on/off or adjust the hot/cold ratio. Also some splashing occurs when transferring wed dishes from the sink to the drying rack. I sprayed some water with a bottle on the handle joint and most of the water immediately ended up under the sink. ---------------------------------- Well I took it apart and, seems to me, a rather obvious faulty design. But perhaps someone can debunk my theory here. Bear with me because it takes a few pictures to convey 3d concepts Here is where the 2 O-rings are: And here is how the water, obviously builds a bit around the top O-Ring and then goes down the hole into the shaft where it is eventually free to run all the way down under the sink. Seems a rather obvious design flaw!! Here is the detail of the joint And here is the faucet at various stages of disassembly
    ...See More

Price Pfister faucets

Q

Comments (4)
    I just changed all my faucets out with Delta, parts are available at Lowes and Home Depot. Delta has a lifetime warranty on the finish to the original purchaser, if they leak they will also send free replacemnt parts. I really like the feel of the faucets.
    ...See More
  • pfmastin
    15 years ago

It's been years ago, but we had PP milkglass handle faucets in the bathroom. I dropped something in the shower and hit the faucet handle just right and broke off one of the little "spokes" on one of the handles. I called PP and they mailed me another faucet handle at no charge...even though the breakage was my fault. I was impressed. :)

• hapyfrustrated
    15 years ago

We have PP in two baths, Marielle in one, which I just love, not sure of the other. I think they have some type of protected finish. Will be putting PP in the new bath also. Have Kohler in the kitchen, it is awesome, my only expensive faucet though.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

They don't have a great repuation, which is too bad. I love several of their designs and the range of finishes they offer.

I ordered PPf's 'Ashfield' for several bath faucets, but the plumbing supply store talked me out of using PPf valves inside the walls-- assured me I'd regret it. I insisted on one in the seldom used guest bath shower, so we'll see.

I went with Moen Showhouse for the kitchen because I figured those would see more use cycles a day than anywhere else, and though I like the look and feel, I regret it a little. Ultimately, kitchen faucets aren't usually hard to change [though a lot depends on the sink clearence, etc]. If you really, really like PPf and it doesn't last well, at least it's a brand you can afford to replace if you need to.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Kelleg...I could have typed your message! We're using Moen in all 5 bathrooms, but I went with PP Marielle fixtures for the kitchen because I love the style & finish.

We're building our own house and had to research all of the products that we're putting into it. I think I know why your plumber likes Moen for the bathrooms. If you ever decide to change the trim in the shower you don't have to open the wall to change the valve. Moen's valves will fit all of their trim kits. With some other companies the valve has to be change...which means opening the wall, ruining your tile, etc. Big mess & big expense!

Anyhoo...we don't have experience with everyday use of PP in the kitchen yet, but my thinking is that they are inexpensive and easy to replace if there is ever a problem. I figure if I get 4 or 5 years out of them than they were worth every penny and I will have had the pretty faucets that I wanted. My tastes might be completely different 5 years from now. :o)

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Kelleg,
    PP has some mid-range and some low-range faucets.

"Most of its line is high quality brass with ceramic valves, but it does cut a corner here and there in its low-priced products  so read the product specifications before buying."

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Faucets Ratings

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I have had more than one plumber as well as the store clerk state to me not to buy PP fixtures. Not good quality but if you want to replace them in a couple of years, go for it--to quote them on the topic. They preferred Delta or Moen for fixtures that lasted longer.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Count me in...

Plumber said he would not give me a warranty on the PPf tub filler I wanted. But, it was literally the only single handle tub filler I could find, at any price. This is in the guest bath and will not be used too often. Fingers and toes crossed.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

The husband of a colleague is a plumber who after years of having his own business decided he wanted regular hours and a pension and switched to working at the Home Depot. He told me when he was in the trade if you had a bad experience with a brand you generally don't recommend it but now that he is in the store he says rarely is any brand all good or all bad. I bought a Pegasus and he checked it out for me and his only reservation was that a replacement disc would be harder to get. Home Depot has a good return policy, bring one home, if your plumber is doing something else in the house, have him take a look at the actual faucet and see what he thinks. Plumbers are rarely impressed with the bling - I got terrific practical advice from my colleague's husband that saved us a lot of money.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, you all are making my decision tough again. Mixed reviews...

Like a few said, i can replace this in a few years if I want. I really like the look of their stainless better than any other I saw... At this point, we are doing everything, so I don't want to go with an expensive faucet since I have to buy so many and I don't care about it that much. In a few years, when I don't have so many expenses, replacing a kitchen faucet isn't that big of a deal.

Anyone else have any other comments?

• Fori
    15 years ago

I think they are fine. (Pfine?) (The only faucet I've ever had that was a lemon was a Moen. I did have a cheap brass lavatory fixture of an unnamed brand (HD in the old days) that turned green instantly but even it still worked fine for years.)

I agree that changing a kitchen faucet isn't too bad--the least painful of the fixture replacements I think. So go for it! Just be sure you know how many holes you'll be wanting. That's the only risk--that you'll fall in love with something later that has the wrong number of holes.

• User
    15 years ago

YOu can't go wrong with Kohler or Chicago Brass. I've never had a kitchen that had any problems with either. PP is hit or miss, and for the money you put in it, I'd rather put in a little more and not have to worry about it. Delta is a decent quality, and plumbers love it, but it's a PIA too in that most Deltas don't come "granite ready" and need to have an extension ordered in order to fit a stone countertop. Delta will also nickel and dime you to death on most of their fixtures by selling the trim and the handles and the valves separately and you have to be really careful that you pick the correct stock #'s that go together.

Whatever you do, don't buy the cheap Chinese made house brands of any of the big box stores.

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

I have Price Pfister in both bathroom and kitchen. Love them so far. It's only been three months, so verdict is still out on longevity. My plumber did not have any issues with installing that brand. I would say go for it if you love it - a faucet doesn't need to be forever.

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

I've had PP's Parisa faucet in the bathroom for 3 years now. I had my FIL, who is a plumber, look it over before install and he said all the parts were good quality. The faucet had worked very well and I really like the design so I bought PP's Picardy pullout faucet for the kitchen and had FIL look it over again. He thinks it's good faucet, so it'll be installed next week when we get the granite.

• fustian
    15 years ago

My parents have a PP faucet in their kitchen which is spraying thin jets of water in various directions from around its head after two years of use. I've never seen a faucet fail like that before. I just helped them pick out a new faucet to replace it this weekend, because it's becoming unusable. They did not want to replace with another PP.

That having being said, the problem may have been with the installation - not the faucet. The Home Depot installers did a really bad job with their sink and faucet, and I never thought the faucet worked correctly.

• pew1
    15 years ago

I have found that PF in the big box store to be a different quality that carried at a plumbing supply house. I have also found their customer support second to none!

Some plumbers do not seem to like them, could it be profit margin? Don't know.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All good points. I did call Moen yesterday and ask if they have different faucets at different stores. They said no. If it is a certain model, it should be the same at HD as your plumber will sell you as you will get online--with Moen at least. I guess I could go with Kohler, though I still didn't like their stainless as well and my plumber doesn't like Kohler (he may be the only one). Any more stories?

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I asked about the often rumoured lower quality box store versions of brand name product and was told it was nothing more than an urban myth. Re-badging of course happens but usually the product isn't altered just assigned a new name. I was told to check where the Pegasus faucet I bought was manufactured (mine was made in Italy)for the reasons cited by l_w_o.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

We have Price Pfister in our main bath, and it's had very heavy use for 8 years. It is a wonderful faucet. I have not had to take advantage of the lifetime warranty, but have no doubt that they would back that up.

We have a Moen in our kitchen and have had to replace parts on it at least 6 times, including the wand twice. They are very good about sending parts out, free of charge because of their lifetime warranty, but the Hubster is sick of having to constantly fix it.

We bought a Price Pfister (Marielle- pullout) for our new kitchen. I bought it online for an incredible price and am looking forward to using it.

• faucetman886
    15 years ago

Ive read all of the answers above and am new to the plumbing scene but have been studying a lot of blog sites of late to help form my on opinion for future use for my home. I have a good friend in the internet supply business that has helped me understand the quality issue and has helped me answer and carry on some conversations here.
    Bottom line is
    1. PP is a great brand for the price
    2. The urban myth about supply house mdse IS TRUE, many times the box store versions of the same model will have plastic fittings and parts or will be missing installation parts that you need to make a complete installation. My buddy as an example provides EVERYTHING with a faucet needed to install that faucet and back up phone assistance free of charge to help you install it. Additionally a supply house will provide quicker warranty and supply of replacement parts than any discounter
    3. The very best product for faucets is GROHE. Man they showed me an example of a Grohe spayer head as an example compared to any other and it was the difference between driving a Mercedes (which I do) and a Ford. If you shop some of the online discounters you can get the Grohe quality at a reasonable price.
    hope this helps.... Im saving for Grohe myself...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: National Builder Supply

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We had Price Pfister's Parisa pullout faucet in our old kitchen for many years and never had a problem with the faucet itself. It is now in my brother's kitchen...still going strong! No problems with finish, spray, etc. We did have to replace the hose once...but we had to do the same twice with our first faucet in fewer years (manufacturer eludes me right now...but it wasn't PP).

About the spray issue that Fustian's parents are having...have they "massaged" the "bristles"? If they have water that leaves any kind of deposits or causes any kind of corrosion, their "bristles" may be clogged or partially clogged....massaging them should help.

I do have to say though, that we have well water that does have sediment and leaves mineral deposits and we rarely had to massage the "bristles".

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, this is helping. I may just go for the PP b/c i like the looks and there are enough positive reviews. I am thinking about the Parisa!

• shopdpo
    15 years ago

Price Pfister used to have some quality problems. However, they have solved this by offering their pro line. The faucets are all brass etc.. I would be careful though of buying from one of the home centers. The home centers are moving to having the manufacturers that will make them a cheap exclusive line that usually has plastic parts or is made in China. Best bet is to buy online or from a real plumbing showroom or supply house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Price Pfister Faucets

• Donna Ekins
    7 years ago

I have just bought a Pfister kitchen faucet (Pasadena). I paid to have it installed and it immediately was leaking from the handle. I had to call the company twice to try and get a replacement cartridge. Unlike other manufacturers, they do not give replacements to Home Depot. You need a little hex key to undo the faucet handle and they don't even include that. Personally, I would not recommend this company.

• justinmallred
    7 years ago

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets1b.htm#.VzIq0Zj3anM

Check the info and reviews here. I found this information very helpful and insightful.

• Donna E
    7 years ago

I had a PP kitchen faucet that I hated with a passion. It looked good in the box, but the pull out handle felt cheap and plastic and after time the handle became hard to turn on and off. I called the company and they sent a part I had to install. It still sucked and I had to keep an Allen wrench near the sink to tighten it. I got so frustrated that I had wasted the money and paid a plumber to install it that I bought a new Delta faucet and INSTALLED IT MYSELF even though I know nothing about plumbing (thank you YOUTUBE). That's how much I hated that #@$&& faucet.

• Craig Knowles
    3 years ago

Avoid Price Pfister. If you have a problem with Moen they make it right. If you have a problem with PP, they make sure you will blow a gasket trying to use their warranty. Buyer Beware!

• KATHY
    3 years ago

I have had a price pfister kitchen faucet for 13-14 years with no issues. My plumber brother in law ordered it for me and his company installed it along with a new sink. It is a black finish that has held up well.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz