SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kariyava

Should I replace my aluminum windows?

kariyava
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our new-to-us house needs exterior stucco work. Since we are replacing the stucco, it seems like the obvious time to consider replacing the windows as well. We have 23 year old builder grade aluminum windows. My chief complaint with our current windows is that if I am anywhere near them in the winter (we get cool winters here) I am cold because the inside of the windows feel the same as the outside temperature. This is especially bad in our breakfast nook, which has windows on three sides, so I am always cold sitting there (this is where we eat the majority of our meals). They are double pane, but it is my understanding that the aluminum is a poor barrier in terms of keeping the cold/heat out. A few glass panes are a tad bit foggy, but most are fine. Most of the windows open without any problems, but a few stick a bit. Some of the big picture windows are low to the ground but not tempered, and I have gotten conflicting information regarding whether that is up to code (we will replace them with tempered glass regardless of code). If we do not replace the windows at the same time we replace the stucco, we won't be able to justify replacing the windows for another 20-ish years (when we re-do the stucco again), and I doubt that these windows will last that long (and I will hate the cold in the meantime). However, I don't want to replace them if it is frivolous to do so, especially given the cost (we have a ton of huge windows). New windows will have the benefit of low-e glass, which should help with energy savings as well (we have hot summers and strong direct sun). I just want to make sure that our plan to replace the windows is justified in this situation, and confirm my suspicion that replacing the windows with a good vinyl window (I don't think we can justify the cost of fiberglass) will make a material difference in terms of feeling cold in the winter.

Comments (5)