SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Allergic to most dog breeds except for ....?......

woodnative
5 years ago

Background: I would like to be able to get a dog someday. Right now we have a 17+ year young cat and it won't be until he passes. However, the problem is our daughter has allergies which may prevent this. She is allergic to dust, maybe some pollen, and even shows some allergies to the cat which she grew up with. However the cat doesn't go into the bedrooms/kitchen. She is fine with him for a while, even on her lap, but long periods she gets some sniffles. Some friends have dogs and she often ends up sniffly and watery eyes with them, which is not good (though some of it may be pollen etc. on their hair) Anyway, any list of "hypoallergenic" dogs will come up with poodles, "doodles" at the top of the list. Two friends have full-size Goldendoodles (one an F1, one an F1B [more poodle]). She was very reactive to them this past Spring (once again could be partially or mostly pollen they were bringing in....they have a lot of hair). The grandparents have a miniature aussiedoodle (half poodle, half aussie) that we all love. Sometimes she has had some reaction to him, other times not as bad.

Although all the doodles are supposed to be "hypoallergenic" since they don't shed, and poodles have low dander, I also have read that many people are still allergic to them. My daughter seemed very good around a Lab, which I was surprised as hair was flying off him. Right afterwards I googled that and I found out that Labs generally have low amounts of dander. On a Havanese forum there were a couple people with strong allergies, including to poodles, that seemed to tolerate Havanese without any issue. I don't have any first hand experience with Havanese though but they look like nice little dogs. I also realize allergic reactions can vary from one individual dog to another in the same breed.

So my question is, those of you allergic/very allergic to dogs (or close friends or family members who are).......are there certain breeds/or dogs that you are personally fine with?

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH