SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_rebecca

DIY Family Room on a Budget Reveal Before/After Pics

RenoGirl
5 years ago

My husband and I are experienced DIYers who've taken on renovating our entire little 80s home, inside and out. The family room was a cold, dark, dreary space we never spent time in. We had a small budget for this room....we were only doing cosmetic updates, and saving money by reusing furniture. We bought all new furniture for our living room upstairs and sent all the old stuff to the basement. We sold the old basement furniture and used the money to help pay for the renos here. The only furniture I added was the teal chair, a c-table and the coffee table. We also added accessories and new flooring in the entire basement. We gave the wood stove presence by adding stacked stone to the corner behind it and changing the shape and tile of the pad it sits on. The basement and room is now bright, cozy and just feels happier. This has become a room we actually use and enjoy.

As usual, we realize this won't be everyones cup of tea here, as we all have different tastes and likes. It fits our personalities and style and we love it. This post is to show what you can do on your own if you don't have access to a very large budget, contractors and designers- but do have access to determination, imagination and are willing to do most of the work yourself.

Before:

After:

Comments (33)