SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oasisowner1

Over-budget budget yellow kitchen reveal

oasisowner
8 years ago

First, THANK YOU all for the knowledge on this forum. Many of you contributed suggestions when I asked for help with the initial plan; some of you helped by simply creating your own kitchens and posting them so I could look at them.

Our house is a 1477 sq. ft. ranch. The cabinets were stapled together and literally falling apart. The kitchen floor plan was horrible - chairs in front of the dishwasher and the oven that had to be moved so that either could be opened. I had 24" of prep space over the dishwasher.

We originally planned to expand into the adjoining dining room or bedroom, but the estimates to do so or to move our basement stairs began to approach half the value of our house. We ended up using the original kitchen area but rearranging quite a few things. This was a total gut of cabinets and countertops. The original budget was $15-20K and we ended up at $22K.

Cabinets - custom by Harmon Hardwoods, Dover, Ohio. Painted SW Dover White. Dan Harmon was wonderful to work with (thank you raee!).

Electrical & Wall repair - Tuscarawas Valley Construction, New Philadelphia, Ohio. Scott was referred by Dan and was also wonderful!

Counter - green soapstone

Lighting - undercabinet lights from Home Depot. The light over the sink is from Cabela's, of all places ($50)! The ceiling light is from Wayfair.

New range - GE double oven.

Refrigerator - Fisher & Paykel counter depth.

Walls are painted BM Windham Cream.

We are still planning on replacing the dishwasher at some point and will probably have Dan panel it. Base trim is not in place yet and we have to replace the ugly door to the basement. I don't know if we will do a backsplash (thank you mamagoose for the inspiration of using a tray over the range). We re-used the faucet and range hood, but I have my eye on versions of both in copper. I also forgot to have Scott put an outlet behind the tv and that will be changed in the future.

I wanted a vintage, looks-like-it-has-always-been-there kitchen. We are very happy with it. I have so much prep space! True, the range in front of the basement door is not ideal and there were a few other compromises we had to make. It is not, and never will be, the huge farm kitchen of my dreams, but I love it.

No trash pull-outs. My family is too messy.

I have 2 Super Susans - one for all pots & pans, the other for baking supplies.

Love the cabinet below for all the small appliances (and dog towels)!

Most of our pantry storage is in the basement, but Dan made this:

Comments (35)