SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncgisele

Greige Kitchen Reveal (before and after pics!!)

ncgisele
8 years ago

We are FINALLY 100% finished with our kitchen including lighting and furniture, and I am happy to share some "after" pics before everything is a total mess, lol! In all seriousness, I got SO MUCH help from these boards, often in times of crisis (ie GC would ask for a measurement or pose a question about something that I had no clue about and needed an answer right away, and I was always able to get great input here!). Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I hope that I can "pay it forward" and now help others as much as I can! I know how hard it is to have to make SO MANY DECISIONS, and can also attest to the joy of being on the other end of a six month project (although we are still a little shell shocked, and have yet to have anyone over to see our new kitchen! Need to get back into the mindset of entertaining again in the new year!!).

Our previous kitchen dated back to the late 80's, and although minor updates had been made over the years, it was really time for a complete overhaul. We were not sad to say goodbye to the green striped faux painted walls, the 27" ovens, the formica countertops with hunter green border, or the vegetable backsplash. :) I'm also very happy that I no longer have to use a lighter to get my burners to ignite!!

As you can see in the before and after pictures, we ended up removing a wall near the door, which resulted in a galley-style kitchen, which we love. Great work triangle. We wanted to open up the space, so we also added two 48" barrel vaulted walkways, leading to the family room and dining room. And, we added new windows along the wall so that we could move from an island cooktop, to a full range against the wall (with hood). There was a lot of wasted space at the "eat-in" part of the kitchen, so we opted to ditch the big (old) oval table for a smaller round one (perfect for our family of five), and extend the cabinets all the way along that wall, giving us much more usable space. The kitchen does not get a ton of light, so our main goal was to open and lighten everything up.

Because we were doing a retrofit, we ended up going with custom cabinets, and were very pleased with the results. Some other specs below (many of which were a direct result of information found in this forum!):

Cabinet color (perimeter): Duron Estate Greige (saw sample at cabinet maker and knew right away it was the right color! Not too gray or too yellow/beige. Just right!!)
Cabinet color (island): Sherwin Williams Black Fox
Wall color: Sherwin Williams Shoji White
Countertops: Madre Perola Quartzite 3cm w/eased edge
Hardware/Pulls: Top Knobs TK595 and TK 594 Oculus Oval Polished Nickel Pulls (various sizes)
Hardware/Knobs: Top Knobs M1317 Ringed Knob Polished Nickel
Crystal knobs on hutch: Emtek Old Town
Sink: Elkay Crosstown Collection Stainless Undermount Single Bowl
Faucet: Brizo Artesso Pull-Out Spray Kitchen Faucet (touch faucet - very cool!)
Fridge: Sub-Zero 48" Built-in side by side refrigerator with exterior water/ice (which is a "must have" according to my kids)
Range: Wolf 48" Dual Fuel Range with 22" griddle
DW: KitchenAid w/Pro Handles (KKDTE254ESS)
Warming Drawer: Dacor 24" Custom Panel Warming Drawer (IWD24)
Backsplash tile: Highland Park Antique White Arabesque
Grout: TEC Praline Powergrout
Floors: Refinished in Dark Walnut (very glad to be rid of our 80's red-tinted hardwoods!!)
Pendant lights: Visual Comfort Grosvenor Pendants (Polished Nickel)
Breakfast light: Visual Comfort Classic Ring Chandelier (Polished Nickel)

A few musings post-project about some of our decision dilemmas:

SINK: I REALLY struggled with going single or double bowl. I wash a lot of dishes by hand and was really wed to having two bowls. Ultimately went with single, primarily b/c we relocated sink to the island, and this way I can pile all of my dirty dishes into the sink if I have people over and do not have time to wash them first! (It's amazing how much you can fit in there!!) I do still miss the functionality of my double bowl, but have gotten much better about scanning the room beforehand and making sure to scrape any food down drain before filling sink to wash pots and pans. I wish we could have included a prep sink with DisposAll, but we did not want to sacrifice the space needed to do so...

COUNTERTOP: We knew we wanted to do quartzite, but were torn between polished and honed. Ultimately decided to keep it polished b/c it was more reflective of light (room is pretty dark), and we also liked the look of polished nickel for fixtures/hardware, so it was consistent. I do love the texture of honed or leathered, but the stone looks beautiful polished and every day I find myself finding some new pattern or facet in it. :) Also we were torn btwn Mother of Pearl and Taj Mahal, and went w/MoP b/c it seemed to go better with our Greige cabinets. TM was a little warmer; MoP was a little cooler tone.

POT FILLER: Struggled with whether or not to include, but b/c our backsplash is an arabesque pattern, I did not want to put any "thing" on it (no outlets, etc.). There are definitely times when I wish I had one since the sink is across the aisle, but I think the disruption of the tile pattern would drive me crazier than having to carry a full pot across the (narrow) walkway!

TV: We initially were not going to include one, but decided to put it over the fridge at the 11th hour. Family is very happy that we have one there for football games etc. Very glad for the retractable doors!

Things I'm glad we did:

FAUCET: KD suggested the "hands free" model, and I highly recommend it to anyone with small children. It's fantastic!

COFFEE STATION: This is my FAVORITE kitchen feature! It's so nice to have the coffee machine in its own little area, so that my husband is not underfoot in the mornings. Highly recommend!

WARMING DRAWER: Again, was not going to include one but decided to at the last minute. TBH we have not used it a ton yet, but I think/hope that we will when the kids get older and we are not able to eat together every night! Also appreciate that Dacor has many different sizes available.

I queried the family about things they wish we had done differently, and not one person had anything to add! So I think that means we met our needs very well, whew! Never want to go through that again!! :) :) :)

I will post some before and after pics below, and add some more detailed pics in comments section. These are all taken w/iPhone so not the best quality, but if I don't do this now, it may be 2017 before I get around to sharing...! Apologies that this ended up being so long!!!

Panorama from family room before:

Panorama from family room after: (note the wall is gone)

Island before:

Island after:

Eating area before:

Eating area after:

View from corner before:

View from corner after:

"Mom desk" before: (sorry it's hazy but I cannot retake! This was ALWAYS piled with clutter and everyone's junk...)

Hutch after: (all clutter is hidden behind antique mirrored doors!)

Comments (47)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert