SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2449149

help with roof

User
5 years ago
I am looking for help on knowing if the roof will look like I want it to with these plans from our architect. I know the sides are 16/12 and I like the look of that. My concern is the 8/12 in the front and back of the house. If I like a tall, grand looking roof, how will this look in person with 16/12 sides, or do the sides even matter? What I do not want us to be looking at my house from the front and the roof be too short.

Comments (30)

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I would be more concerned with the problems you'll have with drainage on that roof.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @cpartist they have solutions planned for that :)
  • Related Discussions

HELP, my roof is red/orange. I need help with paint color.

Q

Comments (2)
    What part of the country do you live in?
    ...See More

Need help choosing roofing/siding/colors for house with Mansard roof

Q

Comments (7)
    No brown roof on that house. It wont look good with the brick. The charcoal color it is now, is perfect, and I would redo it with the same color it is. No, dont paint the brick. Why take something maintenance free and turn it into maintenance. The shutters could be a bit darker than wht they are. I agree with above, your house right now is perfect for the style of the house. Do not muddle up, what already works very well. Put your money on something else, or just bank it and enjoy what you already have, which is a very well done exterior.
    ...See More

Help Choosing Roof Color for my English Tudor

Q

Comments (7)
    I like weathered wood. It is a more “neutral” brown IMO and not too dark. We used weathered wood on four rental properties a few years ago and they look great still. None are Tudor style, so I can’t help you with photos. Do you have samples you can hold up next to your house? That’s the best way to see how they will look.
    ...See More

Help with roof color!

Q

Comments (12)
    Are you keeping your shutters dark? I feel like with your color bricks you’d be best to contrast and even pull in that shutter color by picking one of the darker shades. Driftwood almost has a blueish hue to it so I’d maybe avoid that one as well as the browns which are just going to blend too much (ick!)
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yikes! The help with that roof starts with the design underneath it. You need a redesign.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

This approach is rather odd, IMO. Have you compared the front elevation view to the rear elevation view? If you have the rear elevation, why not post it for a comparison?

Have you considered asking your architect to build a model so that you and everyone can see excactly how it will look instead of struggling with elevations (which never show true views)?

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Sophie Wheeler I like it, but thanks!
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

I'll admit I am a stickler about properly-sized shutters. IF you want shutters (and I do think they will add interest to the front facade), eliminate the quoins. Properly sized shutters will cover the quoins (so why bother). Custom shutters and appropriate hardware will add lots of curb appeal.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ chiflipper I agree. Thanks for the ideas.

This is our first view of the elevation. I’m not even doing stucco so there will be no quions OR shutters. The area on the far right is actually going to be reconfigured as well, as it is garage and we have to turn it front facing. My husband reminded me that this picture looks very flat but in real life it will stagger back with the center portion of the house being the most forward. I was hoping somebody who knew about roof pitch would be able to give me some insight on if this will be tall enough before I possibly insult our architect!! It looks great in the picture but I know that changes once the house is being built.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

I'd say your designer has some work to do. Why not return when you are closer to what you want?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Notice PPF said designer. It's obvious this wasn't designed by an architect. Not with that roof. And I don't care what they tell you. You will have major problems with water and ice with that roof.

And may I ask why you'd want a roof that is 3x the height of the house?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

What is the location for your house?

• dan1888
    5 years ago

If you can keep the side entrance garage you'll have a higher quality more valuable design, imo. This complex a roof design needs to be reviewed as a model. I'd probably eliminate the last left hip roof segment of the house. Too busy. If you need the interior square footage extend the next segment in.

• tira_misu
    5 years ago

The front and the back of the house look like 2 completely different houses to me in terms of style and architecture.

• User
    5 years ago

That is a horrifyingly bad roof. And expensive. And results directly from the fat house underneath it and the lack of talent of your drafter to integrate interior and exterior properly as the design is being developed. You need to hire someone with design talent.

• homechef59
    5 years ago

Remember, every corner is expensive. Roofing valleys and dormers are opportunities for water intrusion.

This should be a very simple style of roof with few valleys. But, the add on design seems to have complicated things unnecessarily.

If this is an architect, I would return to him with the idea of structural simplification. If this is a "designer" I wouldn't bother to return. I would engage a real architect.

We can help you find one. Just let us know.

PPF is extraordinarily talented. Listen to what he says and take it to heart. He isn't trying to hurt your feelings. He just wants you to get the best design for your building dollar. In the end, good design saves money and creates happiness.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Way too much going on with the too many roof angles , too many different styled windows just too much altogether. Get an architect and stop trying to put everything you have ever seen that you like into one house.

• worthy
    5 years ago

stop trying to put everything you have ever seen that you like into one house.

Heck, not even close!

Toronto landmark home. Photo: Greg's Southern Ontario

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

We just are winding down another post that featured a house that looked almost identical to this one. Where are they building these things?

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I wouldn't ever worry about showing enough roof unless unless it was potentially disproportionately small in relation that the rest of the house? I don't believe that roof show is generally considered a grand element. Kind of the opposite, unless you want to show off super expensive slate or cedar shingles, but even then I think people would get the idea with what you have or less. If it were me I wouldn't want the telescoping effect on the left-is there a reason that space can't be housed under one roof? Also I would want the roof lines and heights on the left and right to match. Too bad about the front by facing garage, but if it must be, invest in real wood, not vinyl, doors. Too many homes invest in square footage at the expense of quality materials. Good luck with your build!

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

If you'd like to see this style home done right, have a look at Jack Arnold's website. You would be well served to purchase his portfolio "Old World Romantics."

Here's a link:

http://jackarnold.com/custom-design/

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @greenfish1234

Your points on the roof are very valid! Thank you. My fear is it looking disproportionately small or low for a two-story elevation. I’m going to have my builder’s architect show me a perspective view because I don’t want it too large or too small. We are trying to keep our square footage to 4000, that is why the area on the left staggers back and has multiple roof slopes ( they are different rooms, I will attach the floor plan so you can see).

I’m bummed about the front facing garage as well, but we plan to push it back about another 5 feet from where it is currently on the floor plan and the way it will sit on our pie shape lot, you really won’t see it too much(our lot is narrow up front and gets very large in back). I want it to be very attractive and flow with the center elevation of the house.

The only thing I showed our architect is the center elevation and we worked on the floor plan. Architect came up with the rest of the design based on the interior. I realize we have some work to do to make it look more cohesive. Thank you for your input and delivering it with manners and a kind delivery! Not the case with some of the odd ducks on this site!
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @charelesrosshomes

I LOVE Jack Arnold designs! Thank you!
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Odd ducks, lol! Melissa, from a purely lay person's perspective I think the current height looks more than adequate, FWIW. Setting back the garage (and wood doors!) will definitely help. I posted this on another thread about a hip roof home and I am crazy about it. May be a bit grander ($$$) than you had planned, but a nice inspiration, nonetheless I likke the simplicity of the roof and The symmetry of the wings. Drool.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @greenfish1234, that is stunning!!! Love the symmetry
  • AnnKH
    5 years ago

These "odd ducks" are thoughtful people who have varying levels of experience designing and building homes - including licensed architects. Some may not have the most tactful delivery, but I believe that all of them have a sincere desire to help you build a beautiful, functional home.

I am not an expert in building or designing, but I have spent enough time here to recognize good and bad aspects of home design. I'm afraid your home (especially after seeing the first floor plan) has a lot of aspects of "bad". First off, there are 40 corners, which add a lot to the cost of the home (and complexity of the roof line), without providing any real benefit.

Second, the home will feel like a cave. There is no natural lighting in any of the living spaces, except for 2 small windows in the dining room (and we don't know what direction the house will face). There is a ton of wasted space, and very little storage. The two entries from the garage to the house are odd: I can see going one way to drop off groceries in the kitchen, or the other way to leave your jacket and boots in the mud room - but what if you are wearing a jacket to the grocery store?

You obviously have a large lot, but apparently nothing to look at outside, since no room in the house is set up to enjoy a view.

Call me an odd duck if you will, but I think it's back to the drawing board on this one.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @AnnKH did you miss the three sets of 8 ft tall French doors in the living? :) they will let in tons of light. I’m Adding a set of French doors to the dining as well. Great idea about hanging up your coat from the grocery store. May have him add a little coat closet on to that entrance.

And yes there are some very odd, rude people on here. I did not say all, but some! Have a wonderful day!
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

@AnnKH did you miss the three sets of 8 ft tall French doors in the living? :) they will let in tons of light. I’m Adding a set of French doors to the dining as well. Great idea about hanging up your coat from the grocery store. May have him add a little coat closet on to that entrance.

Actually no they will not let in a ton of light since right behind it is a covered porch. Add to that your kitchen will be very dark. And no, the light from the dining room will NOT reach the kitchen. How do I know? My condo windows were only 11' from my kitchen and were floor to ceiling windows with only a 7' deep covered patio facing west, and even during the late afternoon when the sun is the lowest, my kitchen never experienced the light from the windows.

Here is a mockup of how the light will enter the first floor rooms. Note how much of the house will be in darkness? (All the white areas)

This is very similar to lots of factory plans we see over and over again. Part of the problem is the house is 3+ rooms deep which is why you are getting those strange roof lines and the dark interior. A well designed house which allows for lots of light entering the house is never more than 1-2 rooms deep so that windows can be placed on at least two outside walls. The only rooms that would allow you to do that in your house are the master bedroom, the dining room and the laundry.

Another problem, as Ann mentioned is all those corners. Corners add cost without benefits in the majority of cases. So will such a steep roof. That too will add a lot of unnecessary cost for little to no benefit and actually will create problems down the line.

Another issue is how you will get to your master bedroom. It means cutting through the living room almost through your seating area versus designing a house with a central axis so instead of walking through your seating area, you walk around the perimeter of the space.

Some other issues I see:

Double doors into the master closet from the bathroom? Yet you have a pocket door into the bathroom? Pocket doors are good for rooms that rarely need to be opened or closed. They are not good for bathrooms that are used daily.

A fireplace in the master bedroom which can be lovely, but one of you will not really get to enjoy it as the only two places for the bed are either opposite the door or beside the door.

A window in the guest bedroom closet?

A study that is quite small.

Two entries into the house? How confusing will that be trying to figure out which one to use. Or as Ann said, you come in wearing a coat, boots etc but you have groceries.

May have him add a little coat closet on to that entrance.

Ok so you hang the coat there to put away groceries. However later that day you need to shuffle the kids off to practice. You run into the mudroom to grab your coat but it's not there because you hung it on the hook by the kitchen. Or if you need to help the kiddies with their stuff?

An island that appears to be overly wide. How wide is it? Over 5' is almost impossible to clean the middle.

Also in the kitchen is a HUGE expanse of perimeter counter but your area next to your sink which is where you will prep is small in comparison. The kitchen needs work to make it more functional.

The only thing I showed our architect is the center elevation and we worked on the floor plan. Architect came up with the rest of the design based on the interior

Are you sure you are working with a licensed architect and not a designer/draftsman? Unfortunately this looks more like the work of a draftsman and not a true architect. I say that not only because of the 3+ room depth but also from that roof. No architect that I know of would come up with a roof like that, but I've seen over and over draftsman who let their CAD programs design a roof that looks like that.

Lastly, I apologize if you considered me rude, but honestly we all just want you to get the best house possible and to use your money the wisest.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

To CP artist's point, I have a one room deep first floor. It faces just a tad West of south, mature trees. My kitchen/DR has 6 windows and large French doors, and gets shockingly little natural light, even in the winter when the trees are bare. The adjacent living room had only The French doors and a window facing the back and is open to the entry which has a covered front step but 12 panes of glass and sidelights and gets 0 sun. The family room on the opposite side of the kitchen has 2 windows on a 3rd wall in addition to 5 total on the front and back walls and is beautifully sunny.

I also love view/air/access to both my front and back yards from my command center, the kitchen. I can not imagine having my kitchen in the center! Your view out the back will be severely restricted by the DR and MBR, don't you think?

I wonder if a slightly larger center mass and smaller guest room would allow you to eliminate some of the issues, even an entire wing off the back-If the DR were in front your kitchen could open to an unrestricted, uncovered back yard? So much roof height on the left wasted, you are paying for it anyway, eliminate the cathedral MBR and make a 2nd floor guest suite?

I know lots of people do island sinks these days, but I have to put in two cents about that, too. Most people stack dishes to be rinsed and loaded to one side of the sink, washed pots and pans to the other. Do you want this mess on your island? I like to face my company doing more glamorous work like sautéing, scullery work I like to look out the window :)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Is it time to suggest starting over with someone with real design talent will result in a much better design...?

• User
    5 years ago

A 1.3M+ project surely is worth the investment in a proper professional’s skills rather than a faux one who really isn’t very good. That’s more of a DIY effort translated by a drafter than it is anything else. And a person of design talent would have told you NO in no uncertain terms about some of that bloated mass. And then given you something better, and worthy of your property, and expense. That is not something anyone should build unless hey are vampires who need to get in more than 10,000 steps.