SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_499622911

NEW PALATINE ROSES !!!! Out of my way!!

HU-499622911
5 years ago

For Pete's sake, get a grip Oldrosarian.

Lot's of my old roses there. I must put in an order. Sorry, did I knock you over? I love the smaller Korde's roses to fill in the mall spaces..

Comments (176)

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Diane I agree with you. We should contact them. I would love to get my hands on Charming Piano rose and several others from their website.

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    I agree with both Dianes. I would love to see more of their roses here. Piano looks gorgeous, as does Soul and Marionette. I emailed them using this address I found for their US agency, OS International in Fairview Oregon. osintl@w-link.net
    Very strange though, when I used this email address, it turned into their regular tantau email? So if I hear back, I'll let you know. I like the idea of ordering their catalog in English. I'm sure it's gorgeous!
  • Related Discussions

Hey Digger - Check Out My Really New Rose

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks all! Windeaux - I sent you a long detailed email last summer with a list of rooted roses I wanted to send you, but I did not hear back. Quite a few folks out here were thrilled with the cuttings you gave me as I kept 1 for myself and gave away the remaining. Lets take offline here and you can name what you want from my rose list at HMFR, or, if there is something that Great Lakes Roses happens to carry that you would like, I can pick that up for you also (my treat since you footed the mail charge last year).
    ...See More

Palatine Roses has some new OGRs

Q

Comments (5)
    Whew - gorgeous!!! I went back to my notes from a nursery near me - Port of Stockton Nursery, that is supposed to have it available. I didn't see it in stock when I looked last (but could have missed it amongst 200 roses). I'll have to go back!
    ...See More

My Palatine roses have shipped!

Q

Comments (25)
    My Palatine DAs arrived this morning, and are soaking. They are a LOT smaller than the usual Palatine monsters, but look good! Kristine, K&M Roses will be introducing Dave Bang's roses this summer or fall, not sure when exactly!! Dave sent a lot to For Love of Roses a few yrs ago, but they recently closed up and are in foreclosure right now, so DO NOT TRY ORDERING FROM THEM... you will not get your roses or your money back! A lot of people have lost out on roses and their money! It's a sad situation. But Jim at K&M Roses has already been busy grafting and rooting Dave's roses. He's going to be inundated with orders, so It will be awhile probably before all of us can get them!! Gonna be fun in the pursuit tho!!
    ...See More

Was Palatine’s Instagram Story a Rose Reveal?

Q

Comments (42)
    @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Kristine, I hate to "like" your comment, lol, but I do agree the whole experience was frustrating. There's a lot more detail to my travails with their website, but a lot of it is repetitive and not very interesting! But just one example is the Ascot I first had in my cart that was "sold out", then back, then "sold out" AGAIN before I could check out...on I think the fifth or sixth attempt. This was after hovering over my computer for at least three hours at this point. Never again.
    ...See More
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I didnt realize that Ascot is a Tantau

They have so many incredible roses

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

At one point one of the heads at Certified roses discussed bringing over Tantaus (there is a video of it somewhere). I wonder what happened to that effort. I also wondered if that was why Palatine couldn’t sell Augusta until the patent expired, because someone else was in negotiation for North American rights.

• oldrosarian
    5 years ago

To carry a hybridizer's roses, you have to be able to guarantee to sell a certain amount. That means if you buy the Tantau roses, they may want 500 sold per season, then the new nursery would have to be a very large one. Palatine is not s large nursery. It would have to be Hortico which does sell the Tantau roses. You can't just ask to sell roses or buy a select few which you could sell. Roses, it seems, have become big business.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Very interesting oldrosarian. Always appreciate learning a bit of how the business side of Roses work.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

Sheesh I should stop posting and relying on my memory. Ben, it was Philatelie I was able to add onto my order, not Broceliande that was indeed removed from the lists this year. And Diane is right that it's the Tantau roses we've been trying to advocate for Palatine having the rights to sell, not Delbard (though both would be terrific).

That's useful Oldrosarian about the volume requirements for a hybridizer's roses. You'd think that selling some roses would be better for them than selling none, particularly since Tantau doesn't have to supply the volume of roses but just authorize Palatine to bud and graft from their parent plants.

But what do I know - I'm just a rose consumer and fanatic, not a Big Business expert. Make me glad not to be in big business if the policies conflict with my common sense.

Cynthia

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

Received a UPS notification that Palatines shipped my order today and it will arrive at my house on 11/20. I'm excited to see them (2 x Augusta Louise, 2 x Pompon Veranda , Sunset Dreams, Blush Veranda, and Madame Anisette). I'm sure those of you who placed orders with Palatines also have received similar notifications. A good news to give a break from all the sad news. Helen

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

I'm as happy for you, Helen, as if they were coming to my house! Beautiful selection of roses and colors. Mine won't come until spring, but it's nice to see our orders are already being shipped. I've only had Blush Veranda of those on your list, and it was a beauty. That was before I knew potted roses had to be brought in during winter here. Keep us posted.

5 years ago

Bayarea. That is so exciting! So cool when the roses arrive.

You got some good ones. The only one I have is Sunset Dreams.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

I agree, something to be happy and excited about, I received my notice too that my plants will arrive on 11/19. I’m getting Augusta Luise, Chartreuse De Parme and Charles DeGaulle. I had forgotten that I’d be away for Thanksgiving week (Eek!). A neighbor will pic them up and put them in her garage...I read that bare roots will be okay for over a week that way, so hope it all works out.

5 years ago

Oohh. Ben, you got some good ones too.

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Very excited vicariously for you guys. Hoping to see lots of pictures of all of them, when they start to produce blooms!!!

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

I have not received a notice yet. I was supposed to get Ascot and Pomponella from them. :( I wonder why I haven’t heard from them.

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

I'm happy for all of you! I'll be receiving the fabled Augusta Luise, La Rose de Molinard, and Diane Loomer on Friday from Palatine. I opted for 3-day delivery but I think it's actually 4 days if it was shipped on Monday.

Tomorrow I'll be getting Wonderstripe from Heirloom. It's supposed to be a fragrant striped rose, hybridized by Heirloom, and it's been out of stock for a long time so I bought one as soon they notified me that it was back in stock.

Happy Rose Christmas!

Ann

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

I have roses coming from Palestine too - excited about August Louise, Emma Haftl, Sonnewelt, Diane Loomer, among others......but havent heard from them, they were to be shipped this week. Wish they would be here by the weekend - next week is going to be hectic, but will be glad to see them anytime they come!

Judith

5 years ago

It is so weird not to have anything coming. I will just live vicariously through you guys.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

How exciting for everyone! I wouldn’t worry too much, Dianela. I just received my shipping notification/tracking number, yesterday afternoon. They must be sending out batches each day. Mine should be arriving on Tuesday, 11/20. That’s perfect because I’l be away until Monday or Tuesday. I’m getting my long awaited Augusta Louise and 2 Pompon Flower Circus. Is that the same as ‘Pompon Veranda’, Helen? I sure hope they stay small, as advertised. My newish Pomponella is growing larger by the day, but I’m totally in love with her blooms!

Tiffany and Dianela, I love the Tantau roses and the whole “Piano series” are gorgeous. They look irresistible to me. On Diane’s suggestion I got the Tantau catalogue last year, or maybe it was early this year. What a fantastic bunch of roses to drool over! It’s a gorgeous catalog, that’s for sure.

Dianela, here’s a little something to look forward to.

Pomponella, taken this morning 11/14/18

The blooms have held up very well in our recent weather. These blooms have just gone through two days of 9% humidity and Santa Ana winds gusting up to nearly 50mph. All things considered, I think they look great. Lisa

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

I will sure to share their pics when they bloom.

Kristine, the Sunset Dreams pics that you posted make me excited to see mine when it's ready to bloom.

Lisa, yes they are the same (Pompon Veranda / Pompon Flower Circus / Pashmina). I have been wanting to have it since I saw it on Instagram from people outside of the US and am really happy to have access to it now. Helen

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Lisa how wonderful to see your pictures. I am so excited you will be getting Augusta Luise. I will have to wait until the spring. I am actually a bit afraid I might have made a mistake asking to receive my Ascot and Pomponella this late in the year. I hope they make it this late. I cant tell you how how much I have drooled over pomponella. I ordered it last year (not from palatine), and this spring I got a refund after the place informed me they had ran out of them. Please tell me how old are yours and how big are they. I wanted to place them on my front bed, but after many reports of huge pomponellas I might have to change the spot. Does yours gets any shade? I also got the Tantau catalog this year and have drooled over their piano series. I am so glad we are able to get the Ascot and AL from Palatine. OT: My Mel's heritages have grown around 10 feet this year. This is a most amazing rose. Thank you, thank you for all your wonderful recommendations.

5 years ago

My Pomponella is a strong rose, disease free and is blooming prolifically right now, though I afraid blooms will be ruined by the 28 degrees we are getting tonight. You will enjoy yours! I adore my Mel's Heritage! It spreads over my front yard fence and is covered in little pink blooms spring and fall. Dont recall seeing it bloom much in the summer.

Judith

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Thank you Judith for the info. :) When you say strong are we talking 4 feet or 7 feet? I just had to move my Madame Anissete that was over 7 feet tall from the location I was hoping to use for Pomponella. I can’t have something huge there. Palatine has her listed at a smaller size, but at help me find there are some very large ones. I am thinking because since I am in zone7b, I expect mine shouldn’t be any bigger than yours. Thank you very much again, I am sorry to keep asking for more details. This one and AL have been the most anticipated roses for me this year.

5 years ago

I cant wait for my AL too!! Also several others, Emma Haftl and Sonnenwelt, that I missed out on last year. My Pomponella is planted along my front yard fence. It is not in a pampered bed, but gets along great. I think you will be pleased with the size - it is about a 2-3' bushy shrub - not that big. Mine is covered in blooms. Or was until this freeze we are getting tonite! I really like mine - leaves are healthy, shiny.......no blackspot, just a really neat, pretty bush with lovely pink blooms. I bought mine some years ago at Chamblees sale bin for $5 - a real bargain! This rose may be allowed to grow larger with good soil and fertilizer - I didnt get to the fertilization this summer so the blooms it has are all on its own. I am going to mulch with composted horse manure then regular mulch, fertilized it good in the spring and will see what it does with some TLC.

Judith

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Oh Lisa, I love your pomponella! This rose has always intrigued me! I think it looks so unique!
    I haven't received any word from Palantine, so fingers crossed something soon? I thought I was receiving it 11/12, but then realized 11/12 must have been the ship date? I'll be waiting anxiously like everyone else! I'm expecting AL and 2 Florentinas for an arch.
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Can anyone compare Pomponella to Jasmina? I have Jasmina. Is the only difference the color of the blooms? Other than that, they look like the same rose to me.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

Tiffandrew, you are right. 11/12 is the shipping date, and UPS has the package info in their system on 11/13 and sends out notifications to customers the estimate arrival dates. Helen

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I really love my Pomponella blooms. I ordered it from Rogue Valley Roses. It was just a little band size that I planted directly into the ground in February of this year. It already has canes about 4F long! I hope it takes well to pruning, because I don’t want it to take up too much space. It’s super healthy and vigorous. I have it in full sun. The blooms are perfect little globes. They are small, but larger than I expected. I’d wanted Pomponella for a long time and can’t wait to try it in arrangements.

Dianela, I’m so glad you’re happy with your Mel’s Heritages. He just gets better and better with maturity. I love mine more than any other rose I grow. His spring flush was truly amazing. Even nongarders couldn’t help but comment on it. Mine bloomed all summer long, and is still blooming and forming new buds.

I’m excited for all of us to see our Palatine orders. I don’t know if I’ve ever been as excited about a rose, as I am AL. Diane and Fragrancenutter sold so many of us on AL, that they ought to be paid a bonus by Tantau:). Lisa

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

I just received my Palatine order of Augusta Luise, La Rose de Molinard, and Diane Loomer!

The roses are in great shape and excellent quality. Air quality is exceptionally bad due to the Camp Fire so I can’t even think about going outside to plant these roses until sometime next week when it’s expected to rain and clear the atmosphere.

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

I’ve tried four times to post a photo of the bare roots from my phone but this “optimized” site keeps rejecting it. Will try from my laptop. Success!

Ann

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

The roses are gorgeous! Love them. Helen

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Thanks Helen about the UPS notification. I got a notification from UPS on the 14th saying I have a shipment from Gramic? arriving next Wednesday. Hopefully that's it!

Great pics Ann! Thanks for posting your bare roots, I hope the air quality improves soon.

I'm glad you like your Pomponella Lisa, those globe shaped blooms are gorgeous!

Take care everyone! Tiffany
  • Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Thanks Tiff! - The Gramic notification is from Palatine.

Tomorrow is supposed to be better than today so looking forward to seeing some improvement! All the birds have disappeared so I hope they come back soon. I'm worried about the animals that have to live outside in these conditions. :((

Ann

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Ann I hope your air gets better. Your bare roots look amazing :). You will have some gorgeous roses.

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Thanks dianela! This morning is definitely better than yesterday. I walked into the garden to feed the birds which have re-appeared and I could actually smell some of my roses instead of smoke!

Ann

5 years ago

Ann, you have the most amazing roses.

On American Idol they used to say " you could sing the phone book "

I think you could grow the phone book

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Kristine - you are too kind! Thank you but your praise is truly undeserving. I'm just an average rose gardener with an advantageous climate. But thanks anyway!

Ann

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Oh, I agree that Kristine is kind, but you are clearly more than an average gardener!

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Thanks Ann for letting me know that Gramic is Palatine, I thought that was strange! I'm glad to hear that the air is a tad better today, it does take a while. I worry about those poor animals too.
  • erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

Lisa, your Pomponella blooms look larger than I expected also. I was on the fence about that one awhile but have one on the way. I like the strong color. I think Rachel at Palatine said that the blooms dry well and hold their color.

Also ordered

Augusta Louise !!!! Hope it makes it...glad so many people are finally able to get it.

Pompon Veranda

Sou. de Louis Amade

Clarence House related to Aloha I think

and another Delbard Rosier de something

I was outside sp'ing a few to make room for the new ones today. Also got a Lavender Crush in the ground by my fence, and some clematis plants and a Verbascum chaixii planted . Was a beautiful sunny day, a little windy with lots of leaves blowing in the wind. I have been feeling so old but it was good to get moving outside today.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Ok :) so Finally my husband told me I received Pomponella and the Ascot rose today. Problem is I won’t be home until Friday or Saturday:(. Can they stay in their box that long? should I ask a neighbor for help with soaking or something? I have never left them in the box that long and don’t know what to do.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I'm sure they could stay in the box that long until you get back. If you have a tub or trug, your husband could start soaking them now. That would be ideal. Then they would be all ready to plant when you get back home.

5 years ago

Erasmus, so exciting to get those new arrivals. Spring flush will be here before we know it.

I cant wait to start seeing pictures

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Sheila thank you for your advice. I have one bathtub in the house and I’ll ask him to do that for me. Thank you!

Erasmus you have a very nice list of roses there. Looking forward to seeing them soon :)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Here's hoping the spring flush will be preceded by a very wet winter in California. My plot looks like a desert landscape with a few trees stuck in here and there. The squirrels have denuded the hillside and thrown tons of dirt and stones onto the concrete, and neither hubby nor I are any longer able to cope. I advise you all not to get autoimmune diseases because they will drain you dry. The one my husband has was unknown and unnamed until about five years ago, and my theory is that they are caused by a toxic environment and all the artificial substances we use, eat and drink which overwhelm the body's immune system and slowly destroy it. It's just another way we are destroying ourselves and the environment since sooner or later all that stuff enters the soil, water and atmosphere. Until they find out otherwise it's as good a theory as any, I say.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I so hope you get rain Ingrid. You are right, the autoimmune diseases are very difficult. There are new treatments the scientists are working on. I donate to some medical research and it is our best hope for health challenges and climate science to get the planet back on track. Go science!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

Received my Palatine roses today (2 x Augusta Louise, 2 x Pompon Veranda , Sunset Dreams, Blush Veranda, and Madame Anisette). They look great. I’m really impressed with how Palatine could pack 7 roses perfectly in one narrow box and there is no cane damage at all. I’m soaking them in the water right now and maybe will pot them the next few days. Helen

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Wow 7 roses in that box! Impressive packing, they look great. Thanks for sharing the pictures Helen!
    5 years ago

Im a little green with envy

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

How is everyone's Pompon Veranda doing? I am wondering if I should keep mine in pots as patio roses.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

I want Larissa