SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saabturbo99

Risk from neighbor using synthetic mosquito spray?

saabturbo99
5 years ago

Hello,

My neighbor has been using synthetic mosquito spray every 3 weeks during the spring and summer for the last few years. A professional company comes and applies it with those leaf blower systems.

This past season, they tried an organic spray at my request. I was just told that they are still getting bitten and would be going back to the synthetic spray next season. I worry about my children. We have a swingset not far from the property line with them. There is some shrubbery along the property line, but I'm not sure how much that helps with drift. Our outdoor dining set is on that side as well. In front, there is no shrubbery between us...and we have rocking chairs on the porch, etc. Our homes around only about 25 feet apart.

Personally, I think it is kind of nuts...the county we live in has around 1.5 million people, and 2-6 people per year contract West Nile virus. I'd rather get some bug bites versus pump my yard full of known carcinogens and hormone disputers every 3 weeks. I've seen this company do the spraying, and they don't even cover the children's toys, etc (they have small children as well). It's shocking. I know the stuff gets everyone, and gets into the house via shoes, etc...and small kids crawl on the floor, put their hands in their mouth, etc. It is the accumulated effect of these exposures over time that causes problems.

Obviously, I can't tell people what to do in their own yard. What precautions can I take? The company that did the synthetic spray two years ao actually broke the law...we received the mandatory (NYS law) spraying schedule in the mail AFTER the first spraying (and the letter was dated AFTER the spraying). My wife was pregnant at the time with the windows wide open and had no idea what was going on.

Comments (29)