SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louannie_gw

Anyone tried mosquito sprays/barriers made of garlic?

louannie
16 years ago

I was searching the internet for info about how far mosquitoes fly from where they're "born", as we have a terrible mosquito problem in our yard. Since I don't have any standing water, I was wondering if they're coming from our neighbors' house...they have tons of old pots and buckets and such laying around with water in them in their yard. So I ran across this stuff (don't want to say the name of it in case it's against the rules or something), made from garlic juice that supposedly kills adult mosquitoes and, mixed with oil, kills larvae in standing water....and then leaves a barrier that repels them. Completely non-toxic. And it said on the web site that many town and cities are using it instead of spraying toxic chemicals...many testimonials, newspaper articles cited, etc.

So, has anyone here used the stuff? If so, please let me know how it worked...I'm seriously considering getting some, and if it works, pitching it to my town...they are still spraying every summer, going down the road, not killing many mosquitoes and spewing toxic chemicals into the air.

Comments (39)

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

does not work. mosquitoes travel a LONG way from their nesting area. about the best thing i can tell you is to invest in OFF and use it.

• louannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But have you actually used it? It would supposedly drive the mosquitoes away from anything I spray it on in my yard...it can even be sprayed on the sides of the house. And it will supposedly kill any that it comes in contact with...the mosquitoes rest in my bushes and flowers in the daytime. They also seem to hang out under my house in the daytime...no standing water under there, though, I've checked.

Anyone else have any experience with the spray? The web site quotes specific cities that are using it, and even has an article by some gardening or outdoor magazine editor or something, saying it works well.

• Related Discussions

Garlic Barrier to deter Japanese Beetles

Q

Comments (5)
    I've used a product called Triact 70, homeowners use it as neem, but it has a strong "garlic" odor (garlic is listed under scent on the MSDS sheet). Anyways, I sprayed about 50 roses with it and for almost a whole week with no rain, there were no beetles on them, not even in the flowers. They tore up 5 or 6 lindens across the aisle about 15 feet away. Based on this I would say give it a try. The problems I have had is the rain, or any other overhead irrigation, plus the smell which on hot days was overpowering.
    ...See More

OK. For the record - Mosquito Garlic Sprays - Do they work?

Q

Comments (2)
    I haven't replied because I haven't tried mine yet. The thing I don't like about it is that it only is supposed to last 1 day. I thought I was getting something different. If it works, I'll post back.
    ...See More

Home made Mosquito Recipes

Q

Comments (6)
    We were eaten alive by the Zanzare Tigre (Tiger Mosquito) in Italy this summer...I had already decided to load up on Vicks....but I (egotistically) thought it was my own discovery....I am glad to read from some authority. Anyway 'Watch out tiger mosquitos this summer!!!' L.
    ...See More

Does anyone here have mosquito control service?

Q

Comments (13)
    Broadcast sprays with residual action (the only way they'd have any effect other than shortly after the actual spraying) are not benign. I know of nothing that targets only mosquitos so anything you use will also kill other, unintended, insects. (And potentially harm the birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and mammals that eat the poisoned, off-target insects.) Just because the company is owned by an entomologist doesn't necessarily mean he has much interest in live bugs, or a healthy environment. Indeed, one of the most lucrative career paths for entomologists is working for chemical companies devising new insecticides. I live (and work outdoors) in a buggy, ticky, rural area and there is no way I'd ever consider broad spectrum, residual sprays for my own comfort. Biting bugs can be miserable - you don't want to experience the sheer misery of black fly season on my northern NY farm - but there are ways to make them less annoying w/o adding to the chemical load in our world. Disrupting the environment by spraying makes it difficult for natural balance to exert itself and help mitigate the problem. More effective solutions such as neighborhood efforts to get rid of standing water everywhere make a bigger difference in the long run. I have lived in parts of the world where mosquitos carry deadly diseases and a huge difference happens when people change their behavior and discourage the conditions that promote mosquitos, even w/o sprays. Landscaping and environmental changes, protective clothing, head nets, screens, dumping water accumluations, fans, even the odious chemical-attractant mosquito killers (not ordinary bug zappers, which really don't work and kill many beneficial insects) are much better than insecticides which don't really work unless sprayed frequently at high levels. And at low levels are mostly ineffective but still extract a serious environmental cost on non-target organisms. Please consider some other remedies before the dubious, and enviromentally costly, quick fix of spraying. Your worries about your dog's safety are laudable, but what about the other animals that live on or near your property whose much-smaller body masses makes them even more vulnerable to the sprays. You not proposing to keep all the birds, squirrels, bunnies, turtles, snakes, fish, etc., safely inside your house on spray-days, are you? L.
    ...See More
  • davidandkasie
    16 years ago

believe half of what you see, and NONE of what you hear/read.

just because it works with 1 mosquito does not mean it will work for the ones you have. there are over 80 subspecies of mosquito in the continental US. of those, we have about 20 in my area. not a single type IN MY AREA has been shown to be repeled by garlic. the city/county here tries something new every year, but since they quit spraying DDT years ago they have never been able to control them well. we have clouds of skeeters here, i got 20 bites last night in less than 2 minutes. i stepped out my backdoor to grab the towel off the grill, and came right back in. 20 BITES!

you may try it and it work wonders, then again, you may find that you would be just as effective by writing a check to the mosquitoes.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

BTW, in my last post i was not sticking up for DDT, jsut pointing out it was the only thing that worked, but the side effects were worsee than the skeeters.

• organicbugspray
    16 years ago

Garlic does work well for up to five weeks if it doesn't rain much, obviously less if it does. I own an organic pest control business and use garlic all the time with satisfied customers. Call me if you have questions. 877-627-7729

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Bug Spray

• scottamuss
    16 years ago

I've been trying to leave buckets of water laying around with a film of oil on top. The M's land and get stuck. It seems to help. It's a very cheap experiment so give it a try. Make sure to check on the oil film every few days. I hear soapy water does the same.

I've planted some garlic in the hopes of repelling stuff but I'm sure I need to plant a lot more to see any effect.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    16 years ago

The Mosquito Magnet types of machines do an admirable job. The only problem is they(at least the smaller ones)need to be both plugged into electricity as well as fed propane gas. They attract the biting females and I've even found biting midges and no seeums in the collector net.

I wouldn't want to fuss with garlic for two reasons..the smell and the need to redo it. Also, garlic oil is sticky. Imagine having trapped bugs all over your siding or fence.

Keep water dumped, wear long loose pants and long sleeves to garden in and use Deet spray on your exposed parts.
    I say 'loose' because skeeters can bite right through taut cloth and zing you right in the butt as you're weeding.

Anyone notice the current cover of National Geographic???

• jennijenjen
    16 years ago

I've read about using a garlic spray to repel mosquitos on skin. I'll experiment with it & let you know. Anybody else wanna try it? Personally I can't stand the thought of putting chemicals on my skin that could very well cause cancer & other diseases.

• fegmcg
    12 years ago

We've used garlic oil here in Montana and at our previous residence in Idaho with good results. We have grand kids and pets in addition to some livestock and were not happy about spraying chemicals around them or us so we tried it. It's garlic so there is an odor to it during application. We highly recommend giving it a try - we're still using it!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

You came to the southern gardening forum to give advice about - of all things - mosquitoes based on your experience in a totally different climate in a discussion that's 4 years old. Seriously?

• Jonnwins_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My wife gets eaten alive by mosquitos anywhere we go, but our backyard is ringed by dense trees and undergrowth. We could see the swarms of mosquitos in the air. I found a company selling garlic oil online and loved the idea of a non-toxic, effective solution. You mix a few tablespoons of oil with some Dawn (it's biodegradeable)and a couple of gallons of water. Use a pressure sprayer and spray it on plants and structures. I spray underneath the leaves to make it last longer. Even on top of leaves and areas exposed to rain, this stuff eradicated almost ALL mosquitos for over 3 months. So I spray twice a year, March and August, and we have the only mosquito free yard in the neighborhood. When I spray on the property lines, I am happy to explain to my neighbors that I am NOT spraying toxic chemicals. DEET is some nasty, nasty stuff, that tests have shown actually attract mosquitos after 20 minutes. If you don't think Georgia is a hot and humid enough testing ground, come visit. I tell everyone who asks about this stuff. It's the first all-natural product I have found that exceeds it's promises.
    Did someone say something about bugs stuck on your fence? Lmao, not even close. It's a light solution that leaves no residue. Our yard smells like an Italian restaurant for a few hours, then there is no smell whatsoever. Try it, you will be convinced when you have to remind yourself that you are not being bitten or itching!

• mimisideals
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

People kill me. Some things have been and will be relevant for years/decades. In fact, sometimes time actually helps a discussion because some will have had years of experience since the originally post. So, the sarcasm from some (and not just here) people is uncalled for. Now, it's 8 years since the original question & 4 years since the last post. I google garlic yard spray, besides ads to buy it, this was the number one search result. Hmmm.... So, I've decided to try some natural repellents and came across garlic sprays and ended up here. Anyone have any new updates, advice, homemade recipes for it? :) [Oh, btw, I'm zone 9a Florida ;)]

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There's a product called Mosquito Barrier that is likely what the OP and jonnwins were referring to earlier. When mixed and applied according to the label directions, I have found it to be fairly helpful in the instances that I've used it.

It does have an odor that lessens over a few hours, but it is garlicky.

No homemade recipes, sorry.

Edited to add that this product is not a magic elixir....mosquito abatement needs to include the removal of standing water, even small amounts, the use of bacillus larvicide where appropriate, etc.

• s8us89ds
    8 years ago

The best way to control mosquito populations is with birds, bats, lizards, amphibians, and larger insects.

The best way to prevent mosquito bites is to wear protective clothing and avoid going outside at times when they're most active.

• User
    8 years ago

I've been researching a product called Mosquito-less. Has anyone with pets used this and were there any issues arising with your pets after you have used this - or any other garlic based mosquito repellent????

Mosquito-less is a garlic based spray applied by way of a sprayer nozzle which attaches to a garden hose and applied to yards and surrounding foliage, etc. According to the advertisements, it supposed to be safe for use around pets - although the label says keep away from children.

Called their 800 number to inquire as to any issues regarding its use and my dogs exposure after it has been sprayed in and around our property.

They say it's safe however, when I posed the same questions to my Veterinarian, the Doctor advised against it's use as Garlic can have serious effects on a dogs blood system and could also cause respiratory problems. The Vet said it would be easy for her to say -- "yes, go ahead use it" and then profit from me having to bring my dogs in for medical intervention. But she said she wouldn't use it herself (and she dogs and horses) and recommends not using it - due mainly because of the ingredient - Garlic oil. Unfortunately she said, in the end, I will need to weigh the pros and cons.

Hopefully, there is someone who has had experience with the use of products such as this and other Garlic based repellents and if any, effects it has had on their pets.

• Candy Rose
    7 years ago

Interesting....I have shoved garlic down the mouths of my cats, dogs, and goats and have made them heathy and happy not toxic and vet bound but i suppose one could die from it as persons who have allergies to wholesome foods. I aim to try the garlic for me and my pets.

• Candy Rose
    7 years ago

Btw i worked for a veterinarian and know how much they marked up their pharmaceuticals and i also know as well as they do that home remedies do work and remember how some vets loved the after hour call$

• jcfairchild
    7 years ago

How about killing non-target insects?? That's what always worries me. HOW does garlic kill mosquitoes? Will it also kill my caterpillars and butterflies and ladybeetles, etc? Will it harm the lizards?

• gchv
    7 years ago

We have used Mosquito Ranger's all organic garlic spray for mosquitoes and ticks for two years now. You have to specify that you want the non-toxic one as they also have a stronger version, but for our yard, the plain garlic spray did the trick. With a small vernal pool behind the home, our backyard had been pretty much vacant with the army of mosquitoes alway waiting to attack us. Now we can use the entire yard and my kids can even go in the shady, wooded areas and not get attacked. There is a smell for maybe an hour like garlic pizza (I actually think it smells good), but that goes away quickly and then you just get the protection. One time it had to be reapplied when there was a torrential downpour the next day, but other then that, we have been very pleased to have our yard back and know that we aren't hurting the birds, bees, butterflies, ladybugs or earthworms. It will kill and provide a barrier for mosquitoes, ticks and flies.

• luvmydumplin
    7 years ago

THIS WORKS! I use a 5 gallon spray pump filled With boiled garlic water I just boiled in my kitchen, I crush the garlic then boil it...its ready to put in pump and spray when garlic is boiled into a water garlic oil mixture...Never fails!!!.. I also spray the grass near the house..works perfect!!

• luvmydumplin
    7 years ago

If u don't mind the smell of garlic apply some to your arms and legs..I put it on the back of my neck and leggs...I never have a skeeter bite.

• (Jay/Jax FL/Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Please be careful with garlic it might kill some mosquitoes or deter them but is toxic to many animals, including cats and dogs (it is much more concentrated than onions which are already toxic to those animals). I would not recommend spraying it in your yard for this reason as it can also probably kill wild animals besides mosquitoes, too (like squirrels and fish/frogs if it gets in water).

You can experiment with it on yourself if you don't have pets but it doesn't seem worth it to spray it around, especially since it is harder to tell if it works that way. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe for everything.

Instead, I'd recommend limiting outside activity after rainy periods and at dusk in general and to use repellent on yourself as needed. There is no stopping mosquitoes. They come from near and far and controlling them generally has greater consequences for beneficial and beloved wildlife than it does for mosquitoes (which travel far, are plentiful, and repopulate more quickly than their insect predators do so what stops them in the short term can make them worse in the longterm, like lawn pesticides). You gotta accept what we share this world with and just take precautions to keep them off your body specifically.

That's it, hope it helps c:

• heather334
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've never heard of garlic killing anything, let alone mosquitos! Garlic merely acts as a deterrent and preventative measure to control pesky low-life critters like mozzies, mites, lice and ticks. It is eco-friendly and can be ingested by our pets in small quantities. Used around chicken coops and on their roosts, it control mites, lice, flies and mozzies too. Diluted, it can be sprayed directly under the wings of chickens and their nether regions. Fresh garlic can be added to their water, or into their food, and this helps internal parasite infestations too. I'd say it's a cure-all.

• Martin Knapp
    6 years ago

I never thought I would have a comment about mosquito repellent but I can put some light on the subject. The family and I went to Disneyworld last year, and very quickly I realised that the swampy sandbar with tons of wetlands (aka Florida) should be full of Mosquitos. I happened upon a landscaper who worked for Disneyworld one day and asked how they keep the mosquitoes away. He said Garlic oil. I thought he was pulling my leg. But they apply every few days (because of the consistent rains in FL), and it is a large part of their gardening budget. I was never harassed by a single mosquito while we were there. If it's good enough for a multinational corp, it's good enough for me. We use it now.

• Jeanette
    6 years ago

Can anyone give me the recipe Please

• heather334
    6 years ago

Try http://www.wisebread.com/4-cheap-and-easy-homemade-mosquito-repellents - or Neem Oil mixed with Dawn. It should be a requirement for your neighbours to ensure they do everything to rid their premises of mozzies, so if you get no positive response to your request to clean up, contact your local council who will pay them a visit.

• SAGO GO
    6 years ago

From Sri Lanka, these days we have Dengue outbreak more than 230 killed and more tha 80,000 cases reported and hospitalized. I am very interested on Garlic oil based mosquito killer agent. Please share your successful experiences.

• lordora
    6 years ago

I used it. I brought mine from a company that services farms etc. I shook it well. But it clogged my sprayer. So I filtered it via a coffee filter. Added a title dish soap & canola oil. I sprayed it, it worked on those little biting flies/ gnats too. Gave some to my my mom in an old spray bottle. Worked for her too. I took the sediment from the coffee filter & wiped my patio furniture down with it. I WILL buy this again.

• PRO
    Mid-State Supply- Kitchen Design Center
    5 years ago

We used a garlic oil/citrus oil mix that was proprietary to Terminix for 3 years, it worked fantastic. It was applied to the trees/planting beds around the perimeter of our yard. Reportedly the citrus attracts mosquitoes, once ingested the garlic destroys their digestive system. Initially it took several weeks to really notice a difference but once it took effect, this stuff worked outstanding. We live in a heavily wooded lot with a small stream that tends to leave pockets of standing water here and there, as well as about 100 yards from a very large lake. It worked great and had no adverse effects on my dog.

For whatever reason, Terminix discontinued it in favor of the "traditional" toxic chemical Deltamethrin, which is supposed to work much more effectively and much faster. We've had 2 applications this month so far and the mosquitoes are as bad as we've seen since before we hired Terminix the first time. I'm going to give it another month and if I do t see a reduction in activity, we're going to terminate Terminix in favor of a garlic oil...

• alison_slep
    5 years ago

Concentrated garlic is a toxin, not just a repellant, e.g. http://greyduckgarlic.com/Garlic_Controls_Insects.html.

"LC50 value is the amount that kills 50% of the insects. In contrast, pyrethrum extract has a LC50 value of 1.47 µg per insect. This means that the main oil in garlic, diallyl trisulfide, is twice as toxic to insects as pyrethrum."

• Zhao NN, Zhang H, Zhang XC, Luan XB, Zhou C, Liu QZ, Shi WP, Liu ZL. Evaluation of acute toxicity of essential oil of garlic (Allium sativum) and its selected major constituent compounds against overwintering Cacopsylla chinensis (Hemiptera: Psyllidae). J Econ Entomol. 2013;106:1349-54. Pubmed.
  • nazli
    5 years ago

My neighbor used this garlic spray in her back yard and it worked.

• Lg Tuttle
    4 years ago

It does work, but it doesn't kill mosquitoes. They don;t like the smell so they don't lay eggs.It will have to be reapplied per directions to keep the barrier going.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

I too like the older posts when they stay on track. I was considering the garlic spray for my yard just this morning. I was glad to see this pop up.

FYI: They are a REPELLENT and not intended to kill mosquitoes. You do not apply concentrated, It is diluted with water.

I think I am going to try this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Garlic-Barrier-2002-Liquid-Gallon/dp/B004WC11OQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XPDNKRG5Q6G4YR1Z9BY1

• HU-115295842
    4 years ago

Disney World uses all natural garlic spray, they have no mosquitoes. Walt Disney was very specific during construction that he never wanted chemicals sprayed at his park.

• HU-967856381
    3 years ago

Bought mosquito less at home hardware spray yard as per instruction lasted ,2 hr waste of

• HU-122034879
    3 years ago

This is not related to Garlic compounds although that's what we were investigating. But wanted to tell everyone that they should get the small spray bottles of Repel lemon eucalyptus spray they sell at WalMart to use on your skin. We found out about it down in Florida where the biting insects were terrible and Repel works vastly better than anything else and it's also all natural. Down side is it makes you smell like a citrus cocktail and leaves the skin a little oily. But it washes off easily after you get back inside.

• Bill Kamauf
    3 years ago

Disney uses garlic oil spray to combat mosquitoes and you never get bit by them at Disney and believe me there are plenty of mosquitoes in Florida

• Robert Thompson
    3 years ago

Bill is right. Just read an article Disney World being mosquito free. Boils down to no standing water and garlic. Disney has billions. If their answer is garlic then that's the best way.

Sponsored