SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_48381429

Please help! Tin ceiling in an asymmetrical dining room?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Is there any way to make a tin ceiling look good in our dining room? The room is an irregular shape. The chandelier is also off-centre because it hangs over the dining table.

The ceiling is 12’ high. However, there’s no space to put in a tin cornice, or a tray ceiling. We have window molding that meets the ceiling on one side, and glass panels to the ceiling on the other side.

(The glass panels are for safety reasons because of small kids - we ripped out a pony wall between the dining room and the living room, which are on split levels.) I'm assuming it's very difficult to recess a ceiling without creating a tray (?).

If we install a faux tray ceiling using molding, and put the tin panels inside, will it just end up looking weird? My husband and I both love tin ceilings, and if there’s a way to install one here, I think it could be beautiful.

We do have a contractor who can install this for us, but we’re a bit stumped when it comes to the design.

Please help!

There's a large mirror mounted on one wall:

View of the dining room ceiling from the living room:

This is our inspiration photo - obviously, our dining room is very different, but we love this look:

Yes, install a tin ceiling!
No, don't install a tin ceiling!

Comments (18)