SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmstaff0rd

Furniture placement in an awkward family room

LStafford
5 years ago

Okay, so my husband and I have been working on our ‘80s Colonial (floor, paint, etc) well our family room is 25’ x 12’ with a centered fireplace w/ woodstove and multiple doors/entryways to navigate. 1 entry is from the foyer, the other is from the kitchen, the other doors are a powder room and laundry room. It also opens into a sunroom. Currently we are using our old furniture that was originally a sectional that’s we’ve pieced apart (the couch & recliner) the chaise portion is currently in the sunroom. We also have a love seat across from

the couch. We mounted a TV above the Fireplace with an extendable/swivel/tilt arm.

I’m looking for suggestions on ideas to furnish this room. We will be replacing the furniture and my current thought is a couch on the same wall our current one is now, and where the love seat is doing 2 accent chairs with an accent table. I like the idea that at Christmas I could put the accent chairs on either side of the fireplace and the tree can go in the corner by the window. I’ve been driving myself bonkers trying to figure out how to layout furniture in this room without feeling like every length of wall requires a piece of furniture (I prefer a simple/clean look) but I do like to have some decor.

**Side note: this isnt 100% complete, the lamps are temporary as we will have crown molding lighting, I plan to get an area rug as well.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (19)