SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexandra_holt10

Help! Small, awkward open floor living room furniture placement

Alexandra Holt
4 years ago

Hello. I’m living in a new and small apartment with a new roommate and 3 dogs. The living room is open with a kitchen counter sweeping over with two bar stools (not sure what to call that feature). There is no designated entry way and an infuriating recessed wall next to it. I want my living room to be a place where I can watch movies and be comfy. It seems like the obvious set up was to put the TV in the recessed wall with shelves and have a very large couch (my roommate’s and nonnegotiable, sadly) across from it. This set up has many flaws. First, the entry door is right next to the recessed wall, so when entering it’s like “There’s the couch!” and “ Dont mind me, I’m just walking in front of the tv while you’re watching a show.” Second, the couch is in front of the best lighting window. I have lots of plants I would like access to the window. Also, the tv in a recessed wall is too far from the couch, as well as asymmetrical. I have a lot of books, records, record player and dog crate. My roommate has a giant coffee table (again, nonnegotiable). I’d like a designated “tv watching space” but not sure how to achieve this. There’s also a nice brick arch above the counter with stools (should this be the focus of the room, or the tv?). There are windows and doors on every wall. The recessed wall is bare. As I’m sure you can tell from this rant, I’m so frustrated and don’t know how to use this space. PLEASE HELP. I’ve been using room planner, so here are some photos.

Comment (1)