SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taraotani

Confused about garage door color advise

taraotani
5 years ago
I recently posted a poll about garage door color and white appears to be winning over black for our white exterior home. Many people commented that a garage should not be a focal point of a home. However, I see many homes with dark exteriors and white garage doors. Doesn’t this design advice apply to dark homes as well???

Comments (49)

• User
    5 years ago
    We are doing a dark garage and light house and flying on the face of everything recommended on Houzz. It seems there are two camps. Garage is like trim or garage should blend in. My personal thought is your house your call.
  • ILoveRed
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Even though no one around here color matches their garage doors to their house I decided to follow the advice of the wise designers here and do it. I love how my dark garage doors look with my dark house. When my dd and sil saw the garage doors for the first time a few days ago...they thought I was nuts. Oh well, you can’t please everyone.

• Related Discussions

Still confused on which HE detergent, please advise

Q

Comments (23)
    looser, I was speaking of the US market and I have to disagree with you on the global requirement. "Market" by nature is broken down. I was referring to the US market, though I didn't say specifically and to try to speak globally is difficult. My point is, and I stand by it, that if P&G wanted to sell "All" it would be a minor purchase for them. They're big enough to get it. And All is not a truly "big seller" by market share in the US or worldwide. I'm not suggesting that Unilever is a small company, rather that the detergent market they have here isn't that big and just like when RJ Reynolds bought the Butterfinger candy brand, they soon sold it to someone more into the candy field. Unilever would probably be very willing to sell off that brand if the offer was made, just as if Unilever (being big enough) were to make an offer to buy Dreft or Ivory Snow brand, P&G would likely sell it. It's total speculation and not something that can be proven so I'm not trying to make an argument. Rather just offer a humble opinion. The other point about comparing globally, then you would have to take into account the other brands, such as Arial, Daz, etc. Different brands are marketed differently in different areas. And having the right to make something is tenuous at best. That can change rather easily. And though there's many loyal Persil fans, again, in the US, Persil isn't something that the average grocery store will sell, since it doesn't have the market share here. I can't address whether it's a big player in Europe. Different market. FWIW, I tried to get some quick stats on market shares mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. (I am the curious type!) Tough to get! LOL But the one I looked at suggested that the 60% figure is likely total P&G US sales to include Cheer, Gain, etc, and as I think back somehow 40% rings a bell which would sound about right. 40 for Tide and another 20% for the other brands. The one quoted year 2000 figures as: Brand/Manufacturer /Market Share 2000 Tide Procter & Gamble 34.8% Gain Procter & Gamble 11.8% Cheer Procter & Gamble 8.4% Ultra Tide with bleach Procter & Gamble 5.4% Surf Unilever 4.3% Tide Free Procter & Gamble 3.8% Arm & Hammer Church & Dwight 3.6% Ultra Surf Unilever 2.7% Private label brands 2.6% Wisk Unilever 2.4% The Wisk surprised me. I thought that would be the Unilever flagship brand. But again, these are OLD numbers and clearly not a complete list so the number could be skewed depending on what their point was. BTW, I make no representation as to the reliability of the site used nor the accuracy of their figures. After a much longer post than intended (!) I guess I am still curious as to the veracity of the previously mentioned industry insider. I'm still skeptical on those claims. Happy laundering all, er, everybody! Here is a link that might be useful: Not my #s - here's the source I used...
    ...See More

Confused about flooring.... (Super confused.)

Q

Comments (17)
    Floorman here 40 years experience professional installer First. You have a bigger leak under floor if it buckling. Sound to me you would be better to have vinyl plank installed instead of wood. If you want a professional job it will cost you $10 plus for wood and labor no furniture. Labor alone is $5 in Missouri. The cheap hardwood is all going to be soft easy to scratch. Vinyl plank would be cheaper. Labor is $1.50 to $2.00 sq ft. Its glue down or it can be loose laid if you buy that type. If a peace gets scratched easier to replaced even for DIY but that peace will have to be glued. Vinyl plank looks like real wood now days. Water won’t hurt it as long as not a major leak. If your on concrete for wood or vinyl a moisture test should be taken first to see if there’s any hydrostatic pressure if there is it shouldn’t lay either one would have to fix problem first. With vinyl plank if it is glued you might need 1/4” underlayment on sub floor. But loose snap in vinyl plank you shouldn’t need underlayment. If your floor is wavy so will the vinyl plank look. Just my advice.
    ...See More

Do you paint door same color as garage doors or same as other doors???

Q

Comments (10)
    Try it with the same trim color, but if it pops out too much, go back and do the gray that's on the doors. I'm thinking the trim color will defeat the purpose of blending in the garage doors and side doors. You don't want to call attention to the garage doors, right? Even having gray or black french doors with white trim would have the effect of outlining the doors and making them stand out rather than recede. JMO
    ...See More

Confused about kitchen counter/cabinet color

Q

Comments (8)
    all I would do for now would be add top moulding and a backsplash, change to more updated hardware. generic brown in that condition for the age would be a gift. they look like maple and so often the slight darker stains on maple are really blotchy, look poor. You have a good transitional door style, and cabinets that are holding up....do some other things.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    ILR which proves my point! Please yourself. Read what people say and ask for opinions but do what works for you ultimately as you are the one who lives there.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

When painting garage doors darker, I'll often choose a color a bit lighter than the dark on the house. On the first house above, for example, I might try the color in the gables on the garage doors, or the body color a few shades lighter.

i like the white on the 2nd one, but the house body color, since it's not so dark, might work too.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

ILR which proves my point! Please yourself. Read what people say and ask for opinions but do what works for you ultimately as you are the one who lives there.

Just because you did it and are happy with it is great. However it doesn't make it good design. Most people post here because they are looking for advice and want to make it the best they can. Not everyone wants the pat on the back. That may be fine for the children you teach, but not for those looking for advice here.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

However, I see many homes with dark exteriors and white garage doors.

I see lots of McMansions and other elements -- like fake shutters or faux stone trim that's pasted just on the front of the house and doesn't wrap all the way around the house -- but that doesn't mean they're attractive, pleasing, a good idea, or correctly or well-done.

I'm sure your mother probably gave you the "If all your friends were doing X, would you do it, too?" talk. It works with same with building houses, decorating rooms, etc : ) . Bad or poorly-thought out design choices become popular -- especially easy in these days of HGTV, Pinterest, blogs, etc. -- and soon they're the default option. It doesn't mean those options are the best ones, they just have the weight of popularity and lemming-like human nature behind them.

Doesn’t this design advice apply to dark homes as well???

It does. It's easy if you just remember that the garage should, generally, match the siding. That means white/light siding = white/light garage doors. Dark siding = dark garage doors.

It ultimately depends on how one views or uses the Houzz/GardenWeb forums. Some folks just want some cheerleading and "you do you!" pats on the back. Others are truly interested in principles of good design and applying them to their houses and interiors to make the most pleasing home possible, and are open to considering differing points of view. It's up to you to decide which way to go.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Doesn’t this design advice apply to dark homes as well???

Yes it absolutely does. Ideally to paint it the same color as the main body of the house or a shade lighter. The idea is the garage shouldn't be the focal point of the house. The house and the entry should be.

Here is the same house with the garage as you posted and with it painted close to the same color as the body of the house. In each photo what is the first thing you notice?

For me, in the first photo what I see first is the entry and then the overall look of the house. In the second photo on the right, the first thing I see is the garage doors and I'm having a hard time getting past them to really look at the house..

• mzloolue
    5 years ago

Do you want a house with a garage or a garage with a house attached?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Alison, I'm discussing principles of good design, not personal style. Big difference.

You don't have to like my house color or my windows. That's fine because that's personal style. However there are principles of good design that go beyond choosing gray or green or using a stained glass window or not.

And yes in the end you're free to choose whatever you prefer. You're even welcome to do what every other person in your neighborhood is doing so you'll fit in. But it would be remiss for those of us who care about good design to just say do as you want and being a cheerleader for bad design (not different stylistic choices) without explaining why something could be better.

Or to quote Becky above:

Some folks just want some cheerleading and "you do you!" pats on the back. Others are truly interested in principles of good design and applying them to their houses and interiors to make the most pleasing home possible, and are open to considering differing points of view. It's up to you to decide which way to go.

• User
    5 years ago
    Well then I guess in this case I’m firmly in the you do you camp. Listen to what people say, weigh your options, choose what is best for you because not a single person from this random forum will see you house and you will every single day. So yes listen to the different opinions but choose what you will be content with. There’s a reason HGTV is popular and some of the design snobs need to accept that it appeals to the masses. If good design is something so far removed from what the average person wants then it is useless. There is a huge difference between functional things like a house shouldn’t be too deep because there is less natural light than it should be these colours or this part should be one colour over the other. Colour moves into tie personal sphere for sure.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

wow. 'baby poop green' and stained glass in the windows?

Alison, cp has a craftsman home. stained glass windows are very period detail in those types of homes. her stained glass throughout is stunning and fits the house to a tee. I'm surprised you would bag on her for that. as for the 'poopy green' color, also common in arts/crafts homes. did it occur that maybe in person it looks different? She's an artist. I'm sure if the colors were off in any way, she would repaint.

color is a personal choice. I think the difference she was alluding to, design-wise, is there is personal choice w/good design (like cpartist) and personal choice w/bad design. you may not like her poop green color, but in her house w/her other decor, it does work. it's not a design faux pas.

I like the idea of a dark door w/a dark house. The white works too, it's a matter of choice.

I might pick something like this, and also do wood for the curved gable accents, and maybe cedar shingles instead of those lighter gray ones.

• User
    5 years ago
    Beth you further proved my point that colour is personal. So if someone wants to paint their garage colour A vs B they get to.
  • User
    5 years ago

I have a black garage door. I suppose I should drown myself.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

The difference with Beth's choice is it also blends in with the house so it's not the most prominent feature. If you squint you can see the value is almost the same as the body of the house.

• Robin Morris
    5 years ago

Yes, good design principles are important and the advice from people like Beth and cpartist are very valuable, but to Allison's point, we all see through very different eyes. What is lovely to one will be ugly to another... even if good design principles are followed. I think you can "do you" and still have good design most of the time and that is what Houzz is all about.... at least it is for me. I want good design, but I also have to love it. No one can convince me that something I think is ugly is not ugly just because it is good design.

For example, no matter how many people think Jackson Pollock is a genius, it will alway look like someone spilled some paint to me (https://www.jackson-pollock.org/convergence.jsp).

Btw, I had just decided a few days back to paint my garage door the same as my house for the reasons stated here. This thread helped me validate that decision. Thanks!

• Robin Morris
    5 years ago

Just for fun, I wanted to add that here in SF, people take "you do you" to a new level when it comes to exterior colors. I personally wouldn't want a rainbow house, but I love walking around and seeing all the color experiments. Here is a small sampling:

http://www.upout.com/blog/san-francisco-3/tour-san-franciscos-whimsical-colorful-houses-will-make-smile

https://mymodernmet.com/san-francisco-colorful-houses/

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...However, I see many homes with dark exteriors and white garage doors. Doesn’t this design advice apply to dark homes as well???..."

It's really this simple: If one wants their garage door to blend in and not have a strong visual contrast, then make it a color very similar to the siding color. On the other hand, if one wants to dramatize the garage door and call attention to it, then make it a highly contrasting color.

The design challenge with garage doors is that they are always the single largest component on any residential façade. That means they tend to visually dominate the entire façade where they are located. In most situations, and in all cases with a "snout" garage that is a bad situation.

And just because "many homes" have highly contrasting garage doors doesn't make it a good design decision. In most cases, these folks aren't even aware of what happens with highly contrasting garage doors. In some cases, these folks simply don't care.

Good luck on your project.

• Architectrunnerguy
    5 years ago

Great discussion on taste vs. good design vs. personal preference (and I deal with that on a daily basis...LOL) but fail to see how derogatory adjectives adds to it.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

The problem is the design of the front façade. Looking at the example of white garage door vs color matched garage door above, design is the problem. Color matched allows the front entrance door to be emphasized. But it then needs more. And that's the design problem. That façade was drawn for a white garage door. When you color match the entrance needs to be redesigned to exploit the fact that it's the focal point. You aren't getting the best façade yet.

• User
    5 years ago
    Architects commenting on derogatory adjectives being used in a post is comical. Pot calling kettle black much...
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

Oh robinlmorris, those candy colored houses in SF hurt my eyes!

5 years ago

Thousands of members over several decades have been able to understand without any prompting or assistance the long-standing unwritten rule at GardenWeb -- call it the GW golden rule -- that while projects before completion, and anything for which homeowners request opinions, receive unvarnished critiques, completed projects are off-limits to critique. Not surprising, though, that a member who fails to understand the former also fails to understand the latter.

• Megan Shaw
    5 years ago
    Either way works for your home. Trying to hide the garage doors by painting them the body color comes into play more with smaller, less interesting homes. My home is a lot smaller with less detail than yours. If I didn’t paint my garage doors to match, half my home would be garage. You don’t have that concern. I say go with what you like.
  • User
    5 years ago
    CP loves her house and enjoys her choices. That is wonderful for her. I don’t and that is exactly my point. Colours are personal. And no people don’t get to pick apart some projects and not others. How are my comments any different than the ones disparaging floor plans when the home is already well underway and changes no longer possible? People have been told to burn their house down rather than live in it and yet somehow me suggesting I dislike a colour choice has broken the golden rule of GW. That’s rich...
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Who said it?

"Pretty sure this was mistakenly put up as a post and was intended to be a question asked of the photo poster. I’ve noticed this happening a lot lately on Houzz and is likely just an error. No need for the rudeness."

This next one was in response to a comment made by another person in the same thread about how the OP in that thread was the rudest person.

"Not disagreeing Holly. Just noticing a trend as of late."

"Get off your high horse. I would never paint my house the baby poop colour you chose or fill it with stained glass windows but you clearly love it...Your selections are far from “perfect”"

"Architects commenting on derogatory adjectives being used in a post is comical. Pot calling kettle black much..."

All are comments above are from the same person.

This is the same person who constantly lets OP's know that they should ignore the "nasty comments" from "certain people on this forum".

• User
    5 years ago
    CP you have a lot of time on your hands. Last night I was frustrated that yet again you appeared to be waiting for me to comment on a post only to troll it with your own comment putting down whatever I have said. So yes my frustration showed through. I’m not going to hide behind the fact that I dislike you constantly attacking what I have to say. You referenced my job in an attacking way and repeatedly take the time comment on my ideas in a personal way. So yes I did the same and perhaps shouldn’t have as it is entirely contradictory to how I feel in general about how discussions should go. Everyone has their breaking point and last night you crossed mine. The cumulative nastiness of your rebuttals to what I said have made an impact. So yes I stooped to the very level that you claim to find acceptable. The irony is now people telling me the very thing they do all the time is unacceptable for me to do. My comments last night, are absolutely contradictory to what I have said in the past, but entirely in line with what I’ve been told time and time again is acceptable on Houzz.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

I'd suggest this is an it depends question.

I often choose 4 colors when painting. Body, Trim, Primary Door (accent color), and Secondary Doors (including garage doors).

Using the body color shown below, I'd choose the 2nd from left for the secondary doors and one of the reds for the primary door.

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago

Actually, the biggest difference in the garage door Beth posted is about $6,000.

I initially wanted a wood garage door, but the price of one made that decision for me. When I made a post asking about a paint color for it on my red brick/white siding house, I got the gamut on answers from pros and non pros alike. From white, brown, green, blue to red matching the brick.

I really don't believe there is a correct answer. Even saying one color will draw attention to your garage door over another is subjective. If it IS like art, then everyone will have their own opinion. Even in the example CP gave up above, I actually think the white garage door helps the front door stand out and look crisp. But she believes the darker color looks best. Even if there was a "rule", every house is different. A lot can depend on the style, landscape, etc.

OP, the best way to decide is to do some mockups and see which one you like the best. Then make a decision and don't ask anyone their opinion ever again.

• lindacottonwood
    5 years ago

Play nice people. Maybe take a break.

My Mom always said " The problem is never the problem".

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...I really don't believe there is a correct answer. Even saying one color will draw attention to your garage door over another is subjective. If it IS like art, then everyone will have their own opinion. Even in the example CP gave up above, I actually think the white garage door helps the front door stand out and look crisp. But she believes the darker color looks best. Even if there was a "rule", every house is different. A lot can depend on the style, landscape, etc..."

Well...it's certainly true that some types of art (and architecture) appeal to one person, but not another. And that's fine, and as it should be, since we all are different individuals with different knowledge and preferences.

But...the principles of value, color harmony and contrast are just that...identifiable principles.

There's an old saying in art and architecture, "if you want to break the rules, you first have to know them!"

For example, anytime and anywhere that a light value and a dark value are juxtaposed adjacent to one another there will be a very strong visual contrast created. And that means that one's eye will be drawn to that location and held there by the strong visual contrast.

This is the reason why strongly contrasting garage doors, which are already the single largest architectural element on the façade of a single-family residence, will be a visual "eye magnet".

So...paint your garage doors any color you want...just be aware of the consequences of your choice. Every choice has a consequence. So make it the one you prefer.

Good luck!

• User
    5 years ago

One other thing - the garage door is like THE EASIEST surface on the whole house to paint. So do it twice! Or three times! See which is best for you.

On my old house I had a dark door. But the heat from the morning sun warped it! I didnt think thst was possible. Anyway, I ended up somewhere in the middle, probably to the consternation of the architectural review committee.

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago

I agree Virgil. Every choice has consequences, but those aren't necessarily bad, and 'bad' or 'good' is still subjective. I think most people on here have an idea of what they want, and they are more looking for ways to make what they want look the best it can. Not necessarily make the best look of all design.

And I'm not disagreeing that there are principles of color or design. I agree that one color may highlight a different house feature than another color option. But what the person wants to emphasize can be different. I also stand by the fact that other circumstances, such as the architecture or landscape can affect the result. It's not all about the color rules. It's about what someone wants the end result to look and feel like.

I am curious though, if a house has both gray and white paint colors, and the garage is painted either gray or white, how is it really considered "contrasting"? To me, a contrasting color would be something totally different-red, yellow. Gray or white would be coordinating, and each emphasize something different.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Thank you, Virgil.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

I am not suggesting either "bad" or "good".

I am simply suggesting that contrast is one inevitable consequence of a color choice for a garage door...or any other architectural feature.

What makes a garage door so critical in a residence is it's size--it's always the single largest and most visible architectural element on the façade of a house.

As for contrast...there are a wide range of definitions and possible methods for achieving contrast: value, color, intensity and temperature, just to name four. Of these, value contrast is widely considered to be the strongest method for creating contrast. Thus a light/dark combination of painted elements will always create very strong contrast wherever it may be located.

5 years ago

Actually, the biggest difference in the garage door Beth posted is about $6,000.

I initially wanted a wood garage door, but the price of one made that decision for me.

Unlike Bunny Mellon, many nowadays don't like "faux" finishes but we went with wood-look steel garage doors to break up the large expanse of green siding, with a similar color value to the siding; we live on a farm in rural western Canada where winters get down to -40 and hail storms are common in summer so have a three-car (okay, three-truck) garage for the five us, and the garage is between the two-story house and two-story workshop with granny suite above. The price was reasonable and the quality very good.

I really don't believe there is a correct answer.

There's rarely one correct answer, but there do tend to be better answers and many of those come with supportive reasons, which is often more useful to posters, especially those who are new, than "you do you". I agree with PPF that here, and elsewhere, it's often an "it depends" question. One thing I've found frustrating especially of late is the complete lack of supporting information from OPs when posting their queries. They either don't supply any, or give it only late in the discussion and only after it's had to be teased out of them, bit by bit. It's hard to think of any design question that isn't affected by context -- location, climate, local/vernacular styles, quality of the natural light, budget, and so much more.

Then make a decision and don't ask anyone their opinion ever again.

For anyone who's at all interested in design and has already developed a good sense of style and a good eye, as tara seems to from a quick look at her ideabooks, I'd say the thing to do is to start educating yourself, whether it's reading through the GardenWeb archives, looking at pictures on Pinterest, finding designers you like and looking at their work to figure out what makes certain elements successful, etc; many designers like Tom Scheerer and Mark Sikes have websites or books where you can get a better look at their projects. You can definitely cultivate a good eye and that's something that's very helpful going forward for someone building a house who might have interior design/decorating questions coming up when the build is finished.

• Architectrunnerguy
    5 years ago

Architects commenting on derogatory adjectives being used in a post is comical. Pot calling kettle black much...

Alison...you lost me here. I went back a month or so and reviewed my posts and couldn't find anything I thought derogatory. If I missed something please let me know which post you are referring to. I try to make a point of framing my advise in a helpful and constructive way.

• Megan Shaw
    5 years ago
    I’m pretty sure the bright white garage doors came into style when everyone started replacing their wood garage doors with vinyl. All I see are garage doors with the sunburst windows around me. I’ve been seeing them since the early 90s, when as I kid, my parents upgraded their sixties split-level wood doors with them, lol!They stand out like no one’s business, and it’s not to my taste, but so what! When I painted my vinyl garage doors the color of my house so they’d blend in, my mom was sort of confused. It had never crossed her mind to paint them. But, she likes hers white and I like mine painted. It’s about what you like. I trust the advice I get here, but ultimately, I trust my eye more. After all, I’m the one seeing it everyday ;)
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    5 years ago

Personal preference & lately there's a dark garage door trend (which I personally as a designer, do not like at all unless it makes sense in a rare case). 100% depends on your unique home. Renderings are everything :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

justwantapool 6K if you want the real wood doors. Or, you can get the wood look. I have two on my home. less than 2500, if I remember correctly. And there is always a faux wood-look paint treatment. a s killed artisan could do it for you for less than new faux doors.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

I say po-tay-toe and you say po-tot-toe...let's call the whole thing off!

• Elin
    5 years ago
    any comments on aged pewter body white trim black front door....garage door color?
  • Michael Lamb
    5 years ago

Equally important but mostly forgotten is the color on the other side(inside) of the garage door. Remember, every door has two sides, and you will see the inside of the door more than the outside.

That aside, the outside of the garage door should be the same color as the doors and windows on the rest of the house, if the doors and windows are the same color.

• Elin
    5 years ago
    Sorry, I should have used punctuation. body aged pewter, front doors black, windows and trim white.....any ideas for garage doors color?
  • Elin
    5 years ago
    wrong picture
    5 years ago

Elin, you will get more comments if you post a new, separate thread.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...any ideas for garage doors color?..."

Same as above--there's no difference in the response, simply based on different colors of the front door and trim.

If you want to accentuate your garage door, create a strong contrast with the rest of your house and call every visitor's attention to your garage door, make the garage door a color and value which is highly contrasting with your siding color and value.

The siding in your two photos of your front doors shows a middle value gray colored siding. For a very high, attention grabing contrast the garage door could either be white or black. Both will create a high contrast with the siding and ensure everyone sees the garage door before anything else.

On the other hand, if your house wasn't built to create a setting for your garage door, and you would like to downplay the garage door, and call attention to other architectural features of your house, then paint the garage door a color and value similar to the siding on your house.

If you are stil indecisive, someone will be along soon to point out that it's your house and you should just do what you want to do and like best! After all...it's your house.

Good luck on your project.

• Elin
    5 years ago
    Thanks!
  • HU-654230283
    3 years ago

Can anyone tell me which is whiter a standard white or Glacier white she it comes to garage doors. That glacier looks whiter but keep reading it has off white in it.