SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mywormyworld

New Worm "Parent" Here...Long Post.

mywormyworld
5 years ago
Been lurking and learning in this forum for weeks now. Decided to post finally and to thank everyone for very helpful tips!

I refer to myself as "parent" due to the fact I check my wigglers as often as if they were my new born child. No joke. I am definitely in the "overprotective" category of wormers. Mostly due to the fact that my initial experience with my relaxing new hobby turned into one filled with that fear parents have over their children. Are they too hot, too cold, are they eating, etc...LOL I quickly felt like being an actual parent just might be easier than being a worm parent. Here's why:

I started my bin July 21st. - Plastic Two bin style. Added some worms a few days later. In total I had approx. 270 worms. Within about 3 weeks though I knew this system wouldn't work for me. My worms kept escaping through bottom holes into second bin.- nothing like having to wrangle up worms when your running late for work ...- Almost every morning, I was gathering them up off the garage floor...and at one point, I must have lost about 50 at once and with that came the horrid smell. Dead worms in the liquid. In an instant, I killed 50 of my worms. HOW is this possible? I peeked in on them 5 times a day! And I refused to ask my husband for help as this was "my rodeo".....he got too much pleasure out of watching me during this time.

Fast forward, I ended up using one bin, placed on an aluminum foil covered piece of cardboard to prevent escapees. Then put tape over all air holes except top row and lid. I freshened up the bedding, etc. and since then no runners!!!

However; I have been battling a mite problem. Taking lid off and airing out seems to help (their disappearance boggles my mind...losing them is almost worse then seeing them!) so today I decided to reclaim my bin. I did a complete overhaul. Turned the entire bin. Took out long strips of newspaper (do not like strip method)...took out corn cob. The worms I found, about 20....seem healthy and active. I could even see some castings in very bottom. I added a bunch more lightly misted cardboard pieces, paper towel tubes cut and my new favorite, shredded brown lunch bags. I also sprinkled coffee grounds throughout and finally, wiped sides, inner and outer as well as lid to get rid of as many mites as possible. I'll update on that when I know if this helped.

The only concern I have right now is the worms seem to stay primarily in 4 corners of the bin even when I feed. Which, btw, due to mites...I am holding out on wet food and plan to start using a dry chow.

Anyway, Here are pictures of how my bin started and how I finished it off today. Will add more worms tonight. Hopefully, I've found a better balance now...

Comments (7)