SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

My hail, freeze, drought, sun proof agave: Agave metalifolia

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Some of you probably read THIS ID request posted here. I also placed it on the Name That Plant forum since I really wanted an ID on what turned out to be the 'Tree of Heaven'.

The agave part was posted for fun and I thought my Texas forum friends would be all over it with responses/jokes/names about my fake agave, but nothing. Oh well ... guess y'all were all out watering and trying to keep things alive during this hot dry spell.

Anyway, I placed the 'agave' on the deck where it was getting too difficult to keep the bougainvillea watered in its small pot ...

Incidentally, the sun highlighted leaves in the foreground is a Purple leaf vitex that Omar passed along this spring. It was just a tiny plant then, but has grown fast with full sun and very little water, and is even blooming. I love it!

Here's the original Agave metalifolia as Patty brought it from Santa Fe. Yes, it is nice like this ...

But since as Patty says I paint anything that's not moving, here it is in the process of enhancement ...

No watering needed for this plant! Yea!

And yes, I'm getting heavy handed with the paint brush again. If I don't have as many flowers due to my down sizing for the sake of easier care -- I will have COLOR! ! I will"make up for the sobriety of my youth" in gardening style... LOL

I'm thinking I'll transplant a clump of Burgandy ice dyckia into the turquoise pot and put white gravel around it. It takes full sun, heat, cold and low irrigation very well.

I'll admit I'm being influenced by images of Moroccan gardens. What's influencing your plant and garden style choices these days???

Comments (11)