SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

I'm giving up on my English Garden dream

msrose
12 years ago

I had dreams of filling my raised bed with lots of perennials and roses, but I've come to terms that it's just not meant to be. Alot of what I planted last year died, because of the heat/raised bed. I have two Drift roses that weren't phased by it, but that was the only thing that seemed to work. I'm trying to come up with something more practical now. Maybe not my dream garden, but something that will work in the heat, low water requirements and low maintenance. It just needs to be a nice backdrop for my yard and I can plant all my pretties in my lower beds. Another problem I have is the weeds. There's an office building behind me, so the weeds are constantly creeping in under the fence. I noticed my neighbor has some fairly large rocks that fill her flowerbed. I'm thinking about doing the same after I get some plants in and hopefully I won't have to worry about the weeds then. Any ideas on what plants you would use and how you would arrange them. I'm not sure if I want to use one type of shrub all the way across or alternate between two or three different ones. Not sure if any of these would work, but a couple of plants I wondered about is some type of Nandina (don't want the invasive one), Purple Diamond loropetalum (Does it really stay purple all season like advertised).

{{gwi:311341}}

I can't remember what they're called, but my neighbor has a similar yard and has a couple of these tall, skinny trees:

{{gwi:1341692}}

Laurie

Comments (46)