SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_344001470354

What if you don’t care for your friend’s friends

Jo54
5 years ago

I have a friend of many years who lives close by. I wouldn’t say we’re very close these days, but we care about each other, keep up with birthdays, and get together or talk occasioally. She enjoys entertaining, and often invites us to her parties. She’s also very outgoing, and knows everyone in our upscale community. I love her, but we don’t enjoy her parties.

Her friends are nice enough people I suppose, but most of them are quite wealthy, and while I don’t mean to say that it naturally follows that they are snooty, some of them are arrogant and overbearing and we don’t enjoy being around them. We live in the same neighborhood, but we are quiet, less outgoing, and got here the hard way, no Ivy League educations or silver spoons on our resumes. We don’t particularly feel like we fit in, whether it’s our social backgrounds, political leanings, or personalities. It’s almost as if we’re not pushy enough to hold our own. Which is a weird thing to have to do at a dinner party.

Her parties would be absolutely magical if it weren’t that we don’t enjoy the company of her other guests. I don’t want to hurt her feelings by declining more than the occasional invitation. I guess I need to just grin and bear it for the sake of the friendship?

Comments (14)