SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rinahen

My family room needs your help

Rina Henderson
5 years ago

Below you will see the current layout of our long and narrow family room. The family gathers in one half of the 11.7 x 24.8 space, while the other half is furnitureless, except for an old armoire stuck in the corner with no use. (needs to go) The house is a 1957 ranch and I believe this space was once a screened porch, thus the low ceilings. There are windows on all the walls (overlooks backyard) and our dining room is next to the space. On one of the short walls, we have an entertainment center that completely covers two windows. We'd like to get rid of the entertainment piece, but then need to decide what to cover the windows with (prevent glare for the tv). Was thinking of either closing in the windows, using drapes or plantation shutters. We want a total remodel of this room (new furniture, paint, etc.) but don't know what pieces/and sizes of furniture we should get. Meaning sectional vs. sofa/loveseat vs. sofa with comfy chairs. The narrowness of the family room causes traffic flow issues with the furniture currently (overstuffed sofa and loveseat). As you can see we have two columns (load-bearing) that have to be considered with the layout. The way the sofa sits now (large one)… you have to squeeze between the column and sofa arm to enter the space from the kitchen/dining room. I would love some ideas on what pieces would fit and look best in this space. We are a loungy type of family that have kids over a lot so need some seating, however our daughter is a senior and will be leaving this summer for college. I am looking for furniture that is smaller in scale, track arms, neutral performance fabric and COMFORTABLE! Have considered slipcover furniture but am thinking my OCD might make me want to tidy and fix the covers constantly... lol. The room is currently painted a dated golden yellow and I'm loving the idea of lightening up the walls with a neutral paint and adding pops of color with artwork/pillow/ rug/ etc.. kind of like an ecletic/coastal style.

I would so appreciate your ideas/and suggestions for furniture. I don't want to make a mistake and really can't afford a designer to help me. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys!!!

Rina

Comments (3)