SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carladr

Your favorite induction cookware

5 years ago

I'm looking for recommendations for a quality set of induction compatible pots and pans that you have used and loved.

Comments (58)

• 5 years ago

Anything that a magnet will stick to, are good for induction. I have a set of Cuisinart stainless steel pots and pans and they work beautifully. BTW, I use every single piece of it. Pots, skillets, large pasta pot, good for things besides pasta, and my steamer insert. I've yet to have a pot or skillet that I don't use.

carladr thanked Jasdip
  • 5 years ago

Chantal 21 ceramic frying pans are very good. and heavy enough. $55 on Amazon for a 10" They are very responsive because of a mix that includes copper and titanium. This is a good basic set for $219 shipped.

carladr thanked dan1888
  • Related Discussions

Best cookware for induction - Part II

Q

Comments (17)
    > maybe your particular pan has an issue It's a lump of iron. There is not much scope to have an issue in something so very simple as a lump of iron. We can see that it is reasonably uniform in thickness (the base is flat and the inside is flat). > your sample size of one is kind of small to draw a general conclusion I don't believe there is significant variation in cast iron cookware beyond thickness (and the Lodge is by no means thinner than average). As such, I think it's reasonable to draw wider inferences from the tests we performed. I would be interested to see what results you obtain in similar test conditions. > How long did you let the CI skillet heat before you measured the > temperature variation? Did you measure more than once to get some > idea of variation vs time? We tried both rapid heating on a high (but not the highest) setting and slower heating increasing the setting in steps. We measured repeatedly during heating, dwell, and cooling - maybe 15 minutes in all. We had expected the variation to even out during cooling, but it was surprisingly persistent - heat loss to the air was apparently offsetting conduction across the pan. By contrast, the temperature of clad aluminum pans evened out rapidly (and obviously stayed even during cooling). > Also, how did you measure the surface temperature We used an IR thermometer from Thermoworks, and a bead thermistor held in contact with the pan. The results correlated between the two devices. I have since purchased a better contact probe thermistor (the bead is a bit flimsy); I will use that for future tests if/when we are able to perform them. Scorchprints are a handy technique if you don't have instrumentation (Google is your friend). Here is a link that might be useful: Thermoworks IR thermometer
    ...See More

induction disk? For using non-magnetic cookware on induction..

Q

Comments (8)
    I just received this email from the folks at MetroKitchen from whom I purchased the induction disk I had to return. I am so impressed that they care this much about the quality of their products! So, a plug for MetroKitchen! Happy Thanksgiving everyone ! here is the email: Lee told me about your problems with the induction disk. We're very sorry that it did not work for you. I am investigating it further with the manufacturer because we want to make sure it works as we promise on our site. We had been told that it makes most pans induction-ready, but obviously that's not the case with yours. Thanks for bringing the problem to our attention. We'll do our best to help you try to use your current pans. For all of your extra efforts, we'd like to offer you a 10% discount on a future purchase at MetroKitchen.com. You can call us at 888-892-9911 with your order and mention this code --xxxxxxxxx . Or you can order on line and enter the same code in the "special instructions" box in the shopping cart. (It's on the same page as where you enter your credit card information.) Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. We'll keep you posted on what we learn from Mauviel about the disk. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Regards, Lynn Nowicki CEO www.Metrokitchen.com
    ...See More

GE Profile Induction Cooktop and Cookware

Q

Comments (24)
    Talk about a coinkidink... this thread came up to the top again, just as the A&E service guy left my house. We got our new GE Profile 30" Induction cooktop installed this weekend. There is a "Control Lock" that disable the controls so that you don't turn on the stove while you're cleaning it, etc. Well, Day #1, and we had trouble with it. I swear, this appliance nightmare is giving me gray hair. First, I couldn't get the control lock ON so that I could clean the grubby fingers prints off after it was installed. After messing with it, I got it ON. I got out my new pots & pans and was ready to cook dinner that night, and I couldn't get the control lock OFF! I fiddled with it, then hubby fiddled with it - and he finally got it off so we could have dinner. After dinner, I had a hard time getting it back ON, so that I could clean up. Long & short of it is, that they had to order a $500 part for our brand new induction cooktop. They'll be out in 10 days to put in the new circuit board. Arggggg..... I am SOoooo over this whole appliance nightmare. Boxie
    ...See More

induction ready cookware - xpost

Q

Comments (33)
    When I searched for affordable tri ply all clad (not the All Clad brand which was too expensive) induction cookware a couple years ago I read about the Tramontina from Walmart too. Unfortunately I also found that Canadian Walmarts do not carry it and I couldn't order it in from an American Walmart. I could have gone to the U.S. and shopped there but it wasn't practical. So if lisa_a happens to be from Canada it would be why she can't find it in Walmart. In doing research on it, it seemed the Walmart line is made in China whereas other Tramontina sets are made elsewhere (can't remember where). Some people don't trust materials etc. on stuff coming from China. I ended up shopping Amazon.ca and getting a set of Quisinart French cookware for a very decent price. It is made in France (I don't think all of Quisinart is). It is triply and all clad as well so not just the bottom heats up. I have been happy with my cookware and feel I got something similar to the Tramontina I wanted. It has a lifetime warranty. There are other very similar sets of Quisinart available so you need to really watch to get the triply all clad ones.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

Chantal Induction 21 ceramic coated is what I like. A Basic set is $219 shipped. A 10" frypan is $55 on Amazon. They are more responsive because of a mixture of copper and titanium. Still magnetic. Solid and heavy enough with comfortable handles.

carladr thanked dan1888
  • 5 years ago

I prefer the Atlantis handles.

carladr thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • 5 years ago

I use Cuisinart - easy to find a big set on sale at a great price. Pots are substantial and I use them everday. Work just fine. Do like those fancy pots though! So pretty! But I usually keep my pots and pans inside a drawer.

carladr thanked sonni1
  • 5 years ago
    For those of you in the New England area, Zwilling has an outlet store in Merrimack, New Hampshire that sells first quality Demeyere for 50% off, and some pieces more discounted than that. Zwilling also has discounted first quality pieces online.
    carladr thanked Carolyn K
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have All Clad and LeCreuset and Lodge cast iron. They work extremely well with induction. Another reason I like All Clad is because of the stainless steel lids which will not break.

Just be sure you get stainless steel. Aluminum or aluminum clad will not work on induction.

BTW, I love my induction cooktop. And you are sure to love your's, too.

• 5 years ago

>>>"Zwilling has an outlet store ..."<<<

ZwillingUSA also has a virtual outlet at https://www.zwillingonline.com/clearance.html

>>>"... looking for recommendations ... quality set of induction compatible pots and pans that you have used and loved..."<<<

I found your question and the variety of responses above to be thought provoking.

Are you hoping for a set to ease the process of buying replacement cookware because you will be getting induction and need to replace some or all of your current pans? Or, maybe, you are looking to upgrade your current cookware and have been phased by the dizzying array of pan brands and models and marketing hype? (So much for the oft-repeated canard that induction requires "special pans" which can be hard to find, eh?)

It seems to me that there simply is no "best" choice for everybody. Every possible choice of brands and models will present a mix of tradeoffs even if you are just purchasing individual pans rather than a set. Some mixes of choices may suit you better than others.

Thing is, what other folks "love" in pans may or may not suit you, depending on how and what you cook (or want to cook), your budget, and your other personal preferences,

The hard part is matching your preferences and needs to the information others provide. I mention this because folks occasionally come here hoping to find Illuminati with secret empirical knowledge that will lead to the indisputably absolute "best" choice, one that will inspire awe and admiration-- and maybe envy --- in anyone entering their awesome kitchens. ;>)

Anyway, you got me thinking about the subject of design and use tradeoffs between brands, models and designs of cookware, and how choosing a set of pans can complicate the task of choosing between them.

That, in turn, got me reflecting on pans I have and like a lot versus those with which I find "good enough." In the latter category for me are my non-stick pans, which I did buy as a whole set. These are Circulon Premier Pro I got at Costco back around the turn of the decade. (BTW, Costco still carries this set.) These are non-stick lined annodized aluminum pans with induction disks imbedded in the bases. I would not say I love them -- heck, to me they are just tools, not family heirlooms or art, and they are non-stick which makes them somewhat short lived compared to other pans I have.

Still, I like this set a lot for what it is --- induction capable non-stick pans that heat fairly evenly and quickly on induction, that were sufficiently inexpensive (on sale) that I don't worry about guests using them, and that are sufficiently durable that I can and do run them through the dishwasher. I use all of the pans in this set with some frequency, even the 6quart stock pot.

On the other hand, there's Demeyere. That company's product lines -- particularly the Atlantis/7ply Tripleinduc lines --- often get a lot of love and admiration, both here and elsewhere and are durable enough that, like cast iron ocookware, could wind up as a family heirloom.

I did not get a Demeyere set. I only own a couple of factory-second Demeyere pans: one is a large burner-spanning plancha/griddle and the other is a 10" frying pan. Both are "7ply" pans (aka the proline or "Atlantis" line) that I got from the Zwilling website as close-outs and factory seconds. Very heavy and heavy-duty pieces with excellent workmanship. The sort of thing that seems to inspire love in some buyers.

For me, what I find particularly useful is that these 7ply Demeyeres spread heat very evenly and are heavy enough to have heat rentention comparable to heavy cast-iron but also very good at quickly spreading heat, unlike cast iron. You can sort of season them (for each cooking session) so that they are as slippery as carbon and cast iron can carbon steel. (For this simple technique, google "stainless steel + seasoning" or download the Demeyere owners manual.) I've found the burner-spanning Demeyere plancha/griddle has excellent heat spreading which is great for for my bouts of mass production --- say, pancakes for brunches and burgers for dinner parties. Excellent for teppanyaki style cooking for a crowd. Plenty of other uses, too --- such as a baking steel for pizza (for which, according to a pizza-fanatic/snob friend of mine, the Demeyere plancha works better than his bakingsteel.) Of course, you will not find this pan in any sets offered under the Demeyere or Zwilling brand names.

Also, the so-called "seasoning hack" that I mentioned -- that work with All-Clad and other brands of stainless-surfaced pans including the Zwilling, Tramontina and Cuisinart Multi-Clad mentioned above. For me, Demeyere's pans' "Silvinox" surface treatment/polish seems to work a bit better with the seasoning hack than, say, my All-Clad. On the Silvinox polishing , the temporary seasoning seems as slippery in cooking and clean-up as well-seasoned cast iron and carbon steel pans. Unlike cast iron and carbon steel, I never have to be concerned about long cooking with acidic ingredients.

I would not say that I find the surface difference between All Clad's stainless and Demeyere Silvinox 7ply to be dramatically different, though. Other people might disagree, and if that is enough for them to love the Demeyeres, over All Clad, I will not argue with their preferences..

Going back to the subject of trade-offs, what are the trade-offs to the Demeyere 7Ply/Atlantis pans? For one thing, they are very expensive even as factory seconds. As pointed out above by Chess-Yeah-That's Me, nobody "needs" to buy expensive Demeyere when Tramontina and Cuisinart Multi-Clad and such may be good enough for a whole lot less money. But, loving a pan is not about "need", is it? Need them or not, it is very
    much a YMMV thing whether you will "love" them or not. Some might be just pleased. Some might not like them at all, Same thing with, say, All Clad (of which more below.)

Further, there is a flip side to the Demeyere 7play/Atlantis weight --- the heat retaining ability slows down responsiveness. How much that matters to or affects your cooking on induction is a YMMV thing. Slow responsiveness can be an issue for some folks' cooking preferences but a matter of indifference to others. Likewise, the accompanying heavy weight may be undesirable for some. I have friends who find my 10" skillet (and its cast iron predecessor) too much weight for them to handle comfortably. To be sure, other folks are happily using (and loving) only cast iron pans or not-quite-so-weighty carbon steel pans. A lot of personal preference to that.

Also, there is a tradeoff to the Demeyere frypan's rivet-less handles. No interior rivet heads to collect gunk deposits when cooking, which is nice. However, offsetting that, gunk can build up on the exterior of the pan on the crevices of the where y" shaped handle attaches to the sides. That's work to clean when gunk collects there. Goo will collect faster when cooking over gas, but the handles still need periodic attention even if used exclusively over induction.

I also own --- and like --- my All Clad pans. I bought them together a decade and something ago, but not as a set. Instead, I bought collection of factory seconds -- a
    small and large skillet, a large saucier, and a 3 qt saute/braising pan. This was back around the turn of the century, back when they weren't as many choices for induction suitable pans. Back then, factory-second All-Clads were in the price ball-park with the likes of Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro. Also, I liked that my Al-Clad stainless pans were made here in the USA where the less expensive alternatives were made elsewhere. (FWIW, If you are considering All-Clad pans, check out www.cookwarenmore.com which has twice-yearly sales of even more substantially discounted All-Clad "irregulars.")

Personally, I like my All Clad pans for many tasks precisely because they are lighter. Still thick enough to heat evenly enough for what I'm cooking. I find them responsive on induction, relatively even heating, and I can toss them in the dishwasher for cleaning. (In the instructions that came with my pans, Demeyere/Zwilling said you can put Atlantis/7ply in the dishwasher but they do not recommend it as dishwasher detergent can discolor and erode exposed edges of the aluminum layers in the pans' rims.)

I wouldn't say I "love" either my Demeyere or All-Clad pans (or my LeCreuset) though some folks do develop that level of passion for their brands. I merely find these pans to be good tools for what I do with them. Some folks may sneer at even this level of attachment and delight in buying what they think is "good enough." This will be an endless debate. For another take, expanding on the above, you might find it interesting (if not helpful) to read through this blog posting at Centruylife.org on the subject of "Is All-Clad Worth It."

Now, I know you said you were looking for a set of pans, but maybe you want to consider choosing a set without a stockpot. When you look at sets of cookware brands that folks say they "love," many come with stockpots that are heavily built, heavy weight pots. Do you want a heavy stockpot? Sometimes they can be useful as when, say, you regularly reduce large quantities of heavy cream or make copious amount of delicate sauces or stocks. Not something I do, but YMMV. Some folks see the stockpots as a substitute for a dutch oven. However, if looking for a dutch oven that you might love, many of those "short and stocky" stockpots might not be as satisfactory in the dutch oven role.. It seems to me that heavy
    weight stockpots with amazingly evenly heating (and heat retaining) heavyweight bases --- on induction -- do not make any difference for the tasks for which many of us would use stockpots. If you want to boil large quantities of liquid (e.g. pasta water), consider that adding a gallon or two of liquid to an already heavy pot maybe makes it too heavy for you to lift without strain.

So, I think it best to make a separate purchase of your induction-capable stock pot rather than getting it as part of a set.

carladr thanked jwvideo
  • 5 years ago

Holy crap.

• 5 years ago

I have three types of pans that I love for induction: Le Creuset enamelled cast iron, which I've used since electric coil and gas. On induction, my old least favorite pot has become my go-to, and my old favorite is almost never used, however. Look for the largest amount of flat bottom to make connection with the surface of the cooktop element, and the straightest sides because there's no heat advantage to a flare outward, and it just takes longer for the sides to heat up since they're bigger top to bottom. The iron, being a poor conductor, once it's hot makes a cozy, evenly heated vessel that's perfect for most cooking, independent of your fuel source.

Thin steel, both enamelled (Le Creuset stock pot and cheap Graniteware) and carbon steel (DeBuyer "crepe" pans). Instant reaction to changes in power level on the induction. Perfect for eggs. Careful with larger pots--don't be tempted to crank them up if you don't want to scorch them.

Demeyere clad stainless steel (I think I have one from each line--all are great). I love the no rivets. I love the look of the bright finish. John Pawson handles weren't meant for comfyness, but the pots are perfect by my lights, for the large flat bottom and straight sides. I only have a little one--it's a fill in size that I needed--but I love it. I also have a skillet and the old round teppanyaki. The steel gives you low conduction and heft of cast iron, with the fast conduction of the copper and aluminum layers. That is, all the heft, and still reacts pretty fast.

I also have a large Wagner cast iron frying pan which I liberated from my mother's kitchen. It takes a really long time to get fully and evenly hot on the induction--probably because of how big it is, though it's also heavier than the Le Creuset, though a feather compared to new Lodge. Like the Le Creuset, once it's completely hot, it's wonderful to cook in. Even more wonderful since it's bare seasoned iron. It does want to wander, however.

There's nothing wrong with any pot that gets your cooking done, but with induction all of the cooking is done by the pot. I find it makes a much bigger difference. I'm not saying you have to have top of the line, but you do need the right pots for you. It would be worthwhile to by a couple of samples and try them out on your own stove before making a commitment to a set.

carladr thanked plllog
  • 5 years ago

All-Clad has been my go-to for some time, though there are some (like some of the stock pots) that are not compatible. They are labeled.

I don't care that much for the Circulon I have. A bit noisy being aluminum with a steel piece welded to the bottom.

I've got some porcelain steel pots I bought at Kmart back in college for 7$ that work fine, so you don't have to spend megabucks to get a compatible pan.

I've gotton All-Clad at Willem-Sonoma on sale. I've also picked items up at BB&B from time to time.

carladr thanked weedmeister
  • 5 years ago

This is such great and helpful information - thank you everyone! I really need to see and feel them in person but this greatly narrows down my search. I've phoned around my local William Sonoma and Sur la Table to see what they have in-store and will go take a few for a "test run".

• 5 years ago

Just regarding All-Clad, make sure you see them and pick them up IRL. I ended up selling my 2 All-Clad SS fry pans and 1 saucepan on eBay. I couldn't stand the handles. They curve up in a kind of "u" shape. They actually hurt my hand to hold them. Of course, that is my hand and people will differ regarding hand size and wrist strength. That's why I advise you to pick up the pans in a store before buying.

BTW, I have one Demeyere Atlantis pan/pot. It's a saucier, but I use it mostly for reheating leftovers and soups - in other words, several times a week :). The handle is a dream; some designer was really thinking when s/he designed the Demeyere handles.

Regarding jwvideo's comments about a Dutch oven, I use my LC for spaghetti sauce, stews, roasting chicken, meatballs, coq au vin, and any number of things. There's nothing better; Julia Child thought so too. You'll have to pry my LC DOs from my cold dead hands.

carladr thanked friedajune
  • 5 years ago

@friedajune, it's so interesting you say that about the All-Clad handles. I have a piece of All-Clad and I HATE the handles, too. To be honest, I never really paid attention to my cookware before I bought the All-Clad piece a few years ago. The handles are so uncomfortable to grip for me. That's why one of my key criteria is handle comfort and why I am definitely planning to try them in person in a store.

• 5 years ago
    Agree about the Atlantis handles. They are extremely comfortable and never get hot. I like my LC DOs, but usually reach for my Staub instead. The little bumps on the inside lid make for juicier roasts, I think. I also like the darker interiors of the Staub. I find that LC interiors discolor over time. Cast iron, both coated and uncoated, work great on induction, although I take care to use a paper towel under my uncoated cast iron to prevent scratches on the induction top.

I had both All Clad and Kirkland SS cookware when we got our induction top. They both worked fine, but consistently had an annoying buzz on my cooktop. This was especially true when we used the covers, the screech was terrible! My understanding is that it’s due to the sandwich of different metals that resonate at different rates. The Demeyere pots and pans make no real discernible noise on the top except for a slight hum.
  • 5 years ago

Interesting, Carolyn K. The All Clad I have has never made noises on the induction cooktop. Wonder if the type of cooktop makes the difference. My cooktop is a Bosch.

• 5 years ago
    WalnutCreek, could be the combo, induction top and AC type. I have a Wolf induction, and the problem was with AC copper core. The buzz was pretty loud. I don’t have the sound issue with cast iron, coated cast iron, or Demeyere. Just a soft hum.
  • 5 years ago

Following. Will have an induction range. Do have mostly Cuisinart and good to know it works well. Need a few other pieces to replace non-induction.

• 5 years ago

Carladr -- I agree strongly with actually lifting and handling the pans before buying, as you plan to do. FWIW, All-Clad handles are meant to be gripped with the palm under the handle and fingers and thumb curled over into the u-shaped trough on top. But, just because I am fine with the prescribed grip does not mean you will or should like it. As freidajune says, different designs work for some and not others. Best to handle the handles and check the heft for yourself before buying.

When at Williams-Sonoma and SLT, you also might want to check out Demeyere's "Industry/Industry5" line. Lighter and with fewer layers than the company's Proline/Atlantis pans, its pretty much a direct competitor to All Clad's stainless lines. Albeit with handles that seem to get fewer complaints.

IIRC, SLT sells them as "Demeyere Industry 5" where WS labels them just plain "Demeyere Industry." If you look at older user reviews, be aware that in the past the plain "Demeyre Industry" pans were not induction capable as they are now.

If you like the "Industry" pans, and are looking for a bargain, the same pans were also marketed --- with slightly differently shaped handles --- under the company's recently discontinued Zwilling Sensation line. I don't know if SLT or WS will have them clearance priced but I think zwillingonline.com may have them still.

WalnutCreek -- Like you, I've never had noise problems with my All-Clad pans, but others have. From the threads here over the last decade, there seem to be so many potential variables that it seems hard to tie noise to any current brand or type of induction cooktop. Except for inexpensive portable induction cookers, that is. Some of them seem preternaturally noisy with all kinds of cookware.

carladr thanked jwvideo
  • 5 years ago

Noise comes from the layers of clad pans heating differently, or so I've read. More powerful cooktops, which implies more power (magnetic field) per setting, seem to cause less whine but that's from reports, not experiments. Perhaps it's a louder hood drowning out the whine, for instance. Whine on the same cooktop/same cook, also is often reported to only being at certain settings, i.e., power levels. Some kind of vibration/harmonic? Furthermore, it seems to be worst with water, and least with something dense in the pan. So it's likely that the exact power level and effect of a cool mass in the pan, have a big influence on whether there's an appreciable whine, probably more than the brand, I'm guessing.

Teenagers are particularly bothered by whine. People over age 30 generally have a diminishing ability to hear it at all as they age.

carladr thanked plllog
  • 5 years ago

I chose my Cuisinart Multi Clad Pro.

carladr thanked boba1
  • 5 years ago

i use all-clad, le creuset, and lodge cast iron. love all of them and none make noise,. i have miele 36" induction cooktop.

all-clad has an outlet store, www.cookwarenmore.com for "seconds". all mine came from there and they work just fine.

lecreuset has outlet stores, bought all from there no issues.

if u look around you can always get deals.

carladr thanked sprtphntc7a
  • 5 years ago

I only have a portable induction burner (which I bought to see if I like it, and I don't), but I use a Fagor pressure cooker on it, and I do like it for that. I got a special on mine, and it has a large pot that accommodates a steamer basket plus a smaller pot (which I use more often) and they both use the same lid. I do not use any other pans or pots on the induction burner, even though I have quite a few that are compatible.

• 5 years ago

For those that have Demeyere, have you put it in the dishwasher? If so, does it still look good?

• 5 years ago

Yes, I put my Demeyere in the DW and it comes out lovely. No spots. Bright finish. But I use Method Smarty Dish tabs which are pretty mild. I don't know if more gonzo detergents affect it any.

carladr thanked plllog
  • 5 years ago

<Following>

We don't have induction yet, but I'm slowly preparing by replacing my Calphalon anodized aluminum cookware with stainless steel. I bought a couple Calphalon Signature stainless steel pans, but after additional research, I bought a Demeyere proline skillet. I LOVE the Demeyere skillet! Comfortable handle, even heat distribution and super easy to clean. So far, I've never had my (gas) stove over med-high with the Demeyere, and mostly use medium or lower. What cooking residue that doesn't just wipe off is easily removed with barkeepers friend, leaving the pan looking brand new - unlike the Calphalon SS which can be pretty difficult to clean. I've never put it into the dishwasher. Definitely seems to be cookware that you hand down to your children.

The plan is to buy 2 new pieces of Demeyere cookware a year until I've created a nice set,. Quicker if we can start building our new home sooner than we expect. Currently leaning towards GE 5-burner induction cooktop, but things may change.

<Edited to add> I also have a set of three All-Clad non-stick skillets that say they are induction ready.

carladr thanked Michael
  • 5 years ago

I've collected the All-Clad D5 and Copper Core through their on-line sale that happens about once a quarter for a few days. It is 2nds or discontinued product but I have yet to receive one piece that didn't look brand new. For my non-stick I have the CTX Scan Pans. I started with a set of Tramontina. And yes, there is a difference in performance and that is why there are different price points. I know what pots always sat in the cupboard and what ones got used, so no more sets for me.

"Induction Cooktop Humming Sound. Humming sound while cooking or boiling is normal. Slight sounds, like hums or buzzes may be produced by different types of cookware. Heavier pans, such as enameled cast iron produce less noise than a lighter weight multi-ply stainless steel pan."

carladr thanked tedbixby
  • 5 years ago
    I have never felt the need to put my Demeyere in the dishwasher. The silvinox coating makes cleanup easy, and the lack of rivets means no hidden gunk. It literally takes a few moments to wash by hand.
    carladr thanked Carolyn K
  • 5 years ago

Yes, and those of us with lazy family members are also interested. :)

• 5 years ago

We are looking at Hestan after using them at a friend's vacation home. Does anyone know how these compare to Demeyere ?

• 5 years ago

I would have loved to have learned about this line of cookware as well. Looks like you would be an early adopter here ;-) Maybe Chowhound has reviews?

• 5 years ago

" Carolyn, it's not that it's hard to clean by hand, it's that it uses more water to do so than to put it in the dishwasher, and those of us in drought prone areas are careful about that. "

The world is drought prone (and using less energy and water is important) -- we should all be careful about that.

carladr thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • 5 years ago

The initial reports on the Hestan are rare and mixed, as they are relatively thin and the coating is easily scratched

Note on Demeyere, the newer models now feature a sealed edge, which should perform very well in the dishwasher (most all clad cookware has an exposed aluminum edge).

carladr thanked Gooster
  • 5 years ago

Ok, Don't laugh, but I have a set of (older) Kirkland (Costco) stainless with heavy bottoms that sandwich a layer of copper for good heat distribution. The lips pour beautifully, the handles are comfortable, and the rivets don't bother me. They take a beating and keep on cooking. The lids seal tightly. They are as quiet as anything else I own on the induction. The only disadvantage is they come in sets, but the price is so good I bought them anyway. The sets I see in the store look very comparable. And if you try them and don't like them then take them back. I use most of the pieces anyway.

carladr thanked sarafinadh
  • 5 years ago

Not laughing! They work, have good features and you like them. That makes them worthy of mention.

They're also certainly more accessible than Demeyere. I learned to love Demeyere back when induction itself was a luxury. I'm sure your post will help a lot of people. Don't be shy! We're not laughing at you. Or at least, we won't laugh at you until we've known you for years. :)

• 5 years ago

I have Tramontina and they are really great (and a good price). I have never washed them in the dishwasher, which is I understand the reason that cookware buzzes (It literally gets bent out of shape from the heat of the DW). Don't know if it's true but so far so good.

• 5 years ago

FWIW, cookware as heavy as the tramontina shouldn't warp in the DW, jerzeegirl.

carladr thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 5 years ago

Uh oh. Was hoping to use the dishwasher for my pots and pans after our kitchen is finished in an effort to get them clean... not saying DH doesn't get them clean by handwashing. Ok, that IS what I'm saying ; )

So, putting them in the DW will cause them to buzz??? Somebody, tell me it ain't so!

• 5 years ago

I put all my cookware in the dishwasher, and it never buzzes. It also doesn't get bent out of shape. I think if your cookware is getting bent out of shape from the heat of the dishwasher, you either need new cookware, or a new dishwasher.

carladr thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • 5 years ago

I think the bent out of shape is on a molecular level. Nothing the eye can see. I learned this on the Appliance Forum and it kind of stuck with me.

ETA: With all the stuff we put in our DW, the pots wouldn't fit anyway. I have gotten used to washing them by hand and it's no bother.

• 5 years ago

I've never had any issues with my stainless pots and pans warping in the dishwasher. I don't do induction, but I do have a glasstop range. No warping. My sis does have induction and has always used a dishwasher for hers as well - no issues at all.

carladr thanked Chessie
  • 5 years ago

Thanks for your input Toronto Vet, sure hoping I can do that without issue.

• 5 years ago

It ain’t so. I use induction, plus dw and no problems with buzzing. No Warping at any level.

carladr thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 5 years ago

The incidents of warping are usually due to a sudden temperature change or other temp differential (like an undersized burner). My mother did that to a Tramontina pan, but on glass-top. Perhaps someone actually may have happened warped a pan during a pre-rinse

• 5 years ago
    I love my Calphalon, Anolon and now induction safe Nanobond by Hestan. The temperatures are even and fast. They clean up well.
  • 5 years ago

Buzzing coming from using the dishwasher makes no sense. Neither does warping. Very thin pans warp with heat. Some are designed to do that, and some cheap ones just do. Your cooking will be hotter than the DW. As Gooster said, warping can also come from thermal issues, but a DW shouldn't create that kind of tension. It would break the dishes too.

• 5 years ago

I bought x3 Demeyere pans this year for my induction range and love them. The non-stick pan is great for frying eggs, they slide right out. My husband makes pancakes in the non-stick, too, and loves how easy they come out of the pan. The frying pan with the Silvinox finish is great, too. I use it often.

• 5 years ago

Carolyn K... Thanks for the reminder about checking the outlets. We picked up 2 Demeyere and 2 Le Creuset at great prices!

• 5 years ago
    hmm. i gave my calpholon to my daughter. i bought an inexpensive set of ikea 365 to use temporarily yil i figured things out... 4 years later, still using IKEA.
    I like it.
    i wash it by hand, as i always have eashed cookware, and knives, by hand. knives, for longevity. cookware takes up too much room in the dishwasher... and, I'm used to it.