SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Best cookware for induction - Part II

eleena
13 years ago

The original thread started in June of 2004 (see link) though the last post was in June of 2009 (isn't it amazing?)

After reading and re-reading it several times as well as checking reviews on other web-sites (Amazon etc.) for brands/lines (Sitram, Kitchen-Aid Gourmet Distinctions, etc.) recommended by the original thread posters, I came up with two words: All-Clad and Demeyere (well, three if you count All-Clad as two :-)

I was not ready to pay the price of Demeyere but wanted brushed exterior, so I decided to go for the (relatively new) All-Clad d5 stainless line, thinking that 5-ply should be better than 3-ply (original All-Clad stainless) and not much 'worse' than 7-ply (Demeyere).

I purchased a few All-Clad d5 stainless pieces (both brushed and polished because they did not have some styles in brushed) and I don't know what to think.

They look great and make me want to cook more (very important right now!) Cleaning them is a 'breeze'.

I compared my All-Clad skillets to Lodge cast iron on gas, an induction plate, and a Wolf induction cooktop (in the showroom where I was going to get it) - in part, based on the recommendations from the Appliances forum.

All-Clad outperformed cast iron every time - hands down - and cooked very evenly on gas.

HOWEVER, they did not cook evenly on either induction!!!

And it was not anything I was doing wrong. I did NOT use high heat and strictly followed the instructions in every way. In the showroom, the appliance manager (who herself has induction at home) was watching what I was doing.

Also, the handles on the skillets are VERY uncomfortable - far from anything ergonomic. I meed both hands to hold the larger skillet when there is food in it.

I did not expect this with All-Clad reputation and price. Before returning the skillets or giving up on induction, I wanted to ask a few questions first.

All-Clad owners: have you had any problems with YOUR cookware? Any thoughts?

Demeyere owners: are you completely happy with the performance of your brand on induction? Have you had a chance to compare it on gas? How does it compare?

A lot of new brands and/or lines have become available in the last few years. Is there any other "best" induction cookware to consider?

As All-Clad was not exactly cheap and I really need just one pan/skillet at the moment, I don't want the price (low or high) to be the primary defining factor. Just want a good quality and nice looking cookware that does well on induction and will last a long time.

Thank you for reading this long post.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!