SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_shou

Help with Fireplace

G S
5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a renovation and have a pretty ugly fireplace (imo) I need to redesign. I have a few questions regarding it. There's currently a gas insert installed that works perfectly. My options for the fireplace are:

1. Paint the brick white to match the rest of the room. The mantel is actually built into the brick unfortunately, and I would like to have it lower to mount a TV on top. I not quite sure if I can remove the mantel, and still have it look decent enough to paint. It's literally mortared into the brick right now.

2. Cut the mantle off, tile over the brick, and create a new mantel I'm concerned about this because there are slits above the insert that look like ventilation. Does anyone knows if this was maybe for the previous wood burning fireplace or does it actually vent the gas fireplace? Would it be safe to tile over?

I'm fine keeping the insert and painting the gold trim and the interior firebox "brick" possibly black but I'm unsure if I can tile over the slits above.

Any insight or ideas would be appreciated! This area will be pretty contemporary/modern looking hopefully so I would really like this fireplace to match.

Thanks!

Below is a picture and you can see how high the mantel is and the vertical slits just above the actual gas fireplace.

Comments (4)