SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittany_kruse17

Help with fireplace design!

I’m stuck on if we should go to the ceiling (8ft) with this stacked stone tile or doing shiplap or board and batten on top of the mantle??? Mantle will be stained Walnut.

Our floor is Laurel Canyon from Costco, baseboards, window trim and kitchen cabinets which are directly to the right of the fireplace, same wall, are white dove. Island is gray shiplap.

opinions please?

thanks!

Comments (32)

• last year

The stacked stone is too busy for the very busy floor. Truly not a good combination.

As M Miller suggested, remove the stone, and choose something simpler.

Brittany Kruse thanked darbuka
  • Related Discussions

Help with fireplace design please!

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm not going to be much help except for one point. A custom cabinetmaker did my mantel and built ins in my living room after I showed him a picture. I wanted cabinets With doors on the bottom and bookshelves above those. He suggested that we make the cabinets full depth and the bookshelves shallower, so that they actually look like "bookshelves". This is a terrible picture, but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.
    ...See More

Need help with fireplace design that has an interesting layout

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks all. I wish I knew if there was a technical reason for it to be up so high. I'm in a 15 year old townhome, not the original owner, but the fireplace has been in that position since the house was built. There's technically another unit on the other side of the wall. I was hoping to come up with something that worked for the fireplace as is before I tear it down and see what's behind it, but I agree that I'd rather have it in the lower position.
    ...See More

need help with fireplace design

Q

Comments (6)
    I always like the look of the stacked logs, but maintenance is prime with me. If you don't treat them for termites and other insects, you can get an infestation. Who wants those products hanging out in your living area? The wood may also deteriorate somewhat and be messy. Of course. there are decals or murals that can give you the same look, but pretty fake. Do you collect anything interesting?
    ...See More

Please help (fireplace re-design)!

Q

Comments (11)
    No offense intended but the design almost looks cartoonish. It might help if the upper piece of surround didn't overhang the side pieces. The unstained/unpainted wood trim doesn't quite go with the stone surround either. Am going to suggest you consider a stain or paint for the trim. White is my first inclination but it would really take some experimenting to select the right color stain or paint. The mantel has a slight rustic quality in the photo, at least. Perhaps you should go for a sleeker look - maybe stone. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • last year
    last modified: last year

usually you end up w an area rug and seating around this so I wouldnt change the textural stone/ you chose it so trust in that......here are completed room looks ... stone all the way....then shown w board......any way you want. but I grew up w living and family room each w fireplace and nearly full walls of brick and paneling and other things.... [built ins and rugs ..etc] so what can I say .....good luck

Modern Rustic Living Room · More Info

Jamestown Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Tetherow Golf Home · More Info

New York Transformation · More Info

Brittany Kruse thanked herbflavor
  • last year

Yes, but notice the rugs do not cover the entire floor. A substantial amount of the wood flooring is exposed. The busy flooring the OP chose, simply clashes with the stacked stone. Also, in all of the pics @herbflavor posted, the stone is in the same color palette as the floors, with with more subtle variation.

• last year

i dont think it clashes. she's asking about the top area anyway. heres some full height brick/stone....kinda hard to decide/ personal preference /I think I'd go all the way up w the stone....

Smith Residence / Liberty · More Info

Character Hickory Plank Flooring, Living Room with Fireplace · More Info

Brittany Kruse thanked herbflavor
  • last year

@M Miller i was attempting to match the gray in the oak flooring and the browns in the tile will match the mantle and our island/bar area. We have some other shelving that is an oak/walnut mix which, from my research, seem to compliment each other, so we were trying to play with colors in that way. I understand what you’re saying about the patterns. It is quite busy. We had lava rock here before.

• last year

Either go to the ceiling with the stacked stone as if it were structural, or make it a plain drywall as a nice clean background for favorite belongings, art, a mirror, a wreath.... Or even a tv if you don't follow rules :-)

I think either would look fine.  I think adding on board and batten or shiplap would be too much.

Brittany Kruse thanked kl23
  • last year

All the way up. Don't add another material or a horizontal line dividing the wall into halves.

Brittany Kruse thanked palimpsest
  • last year

i like the clean looking white walls w stone and floor , as here.....when you get to it I might go lighter on walls [close to floor molding color]....and not sure about gray island / but kitchen is not for this discussion.

Smith Residence / Liberty · More Info

here's a similar stone all the way up. note the dark gray tile in the fireplace alcove/ have you thought of nearly black for the mantle yet to be.......or white ? could see doing very dark gray /nearly black for island / along w similar mantle......maybe.

Engineered White Oak Plank · More Info

• last year

This is what it would look like all the way up

Brittany Kruse thanked palimpsest
  • last year

😱😱^^^^^

• last year

There are many designers with bad taste out there, and many not willing to contradict a clients awful vision.

This is not my taste at all. This is probably 180 degrees from what my taste is.

On the other hand, I don't control the interior design universe, and unless I am in an actual designer-client relationship, I don't have vested interest in the personal design choices someone else has already made. This horse is out of the barn. The floor is installed, the stone is half installed. How many people are going to take out a newly installed floor at the advice of strangers on the internet? There is no harm in helping someone with How they should use it, once it's already in process.

• last year

@palimpsest, actually, with that statement, I was referring to herbflavor’s pics, which were posted before you posted the mock-up of the stacked stone extended up the wall. I’ve been on these boards since even before it was the GardenWeb. I’m familiar with your taste, and that you’re just trying to be helpful…as you’ve been over many, many years.

• last year

living room/family room is not exactly like a kitchen. People like different things/ people like plaids with botanicals..people like stripes w polka dots. People like multiple layered textures. I think complex textural surfaces adjacent to one another can be a lot more interesting/warm and inviting than what is being implied by all the NEGATIVITY. We have a stone fireplace with knotty pine siding in a home and Ive never tired of it.

• last year

Herbflavor's first set of pics look nice because the floor is not busy. The floors are secondary allowing the fireplace to be the star. You can't do that because your floors are already very busy.

• last year

@User that’s where the hearth was originally we didnt make it. I guess I wasnt aware that it was partially raised?

• last year

I thought the "partially raised hearth" was just the stack of stone sitting there waiting to be placed on the fireplace. If you are adding a raised hearth then that I wouldn't do.

Can you post a picture taken further back to show more of the floor and the width of the wall?

Thanks.

Brittany Kruse thanked blfenton
  • last year

Actually, while I am sure many hearths are built like this, they are supposed to be fireproof and a a layer of stone on that oriented strand board would not be fireproof.

• last year

thank you all for your comments/suggestions.

Here is another picture at another angle. Our kitchen is directly to the right. In front of this is our dining room. To the left is a lot of natural light.

The hearth was always like that we only put a new piece of plywood on top.

We don’t love the fireplace insert but that wasn’t in the budget. We dont plan on using it.

• last year

More black in the floor than I thought. I can see why you chose the rock that you did. I would probably go right to the ceiling with it. Have you used black anywhere else? Lighting, hardware?

• last year

@Brittany Kruse With that second picture you posted, I like the effect the brick is having. Although I think both heights are fine, I now have a preference of going all the way up to the ceiling as though it were a real structural piece. I think the floor and brick could look really good with the right sleek sophisticated furniture. I look forward to further posts.

• last year

Well…the floor and fireplace are staying the way they are. I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on the floor by everyone that comes to my house and we do plenty of entertaining.

I mostly just need to decide whether the top above the mantle will be re-textured and painted the same color as the rest of the room or to run the tile all the way up. I will decorate the mantle so if we do the rock all the way up it will be covered at least partially by something. Board and batten or shiplap is out. Agreed that that was a terrible idea. My dining room, kitchen, family room and more ”extra“ space are all, basically, one huge room. Tying them all together proves to be a challenge!

• last year

@blfenton the hardware on our cabinets in the kitchen are black and the light over the island. We will eventually have a light over our dining room table (just can lighting right now) but we haven’t picked one out yet.

• last year

Oh, and our island and buffet area cabinets are painted Kendall Charcoal.

• last year

@Brittany Kruse I don't think your floor and stone facing are awful at all! I have learned though, that many people are less comfortable with pattern than I am. I have learned that pattern needs some effort to combine and also some plain surfaces to help it fit in. To show you I am comfortable with a different look, I will post a picture of my new main floor bathroom. It is still in progress though. See all the pattern in the floor and walls? Some people are uncomfortable with that much pattern and have said so. 

I still vote to take the stone to the ceiling. I think that looks sort of natural, because many fireplaces do. And choosing the right mantle will be important. But if you want to go only to the height of the mantle, that's fine too. I wouldn't make the mantle too busy and certainly wouldn't try to hide the stone with objects. There's nothing wrong with it. Decorating the room around it and that fascinating floor will be fun!

• last year

Thanks @kl23

I love your bathroom!

Here is what the fireplace looks like now with the mantle. We chose the dark walnut color that matches our island and buffet with butcher block. We also have some wood shelving nearby that is a mix of walnut/oak. Everything ties in.

We decided not to go all the way up with the rock. We are going to retexture the wall and paint it. I would like to be able to use the mantle to decorate for seasons/holidays.

• last year

@Brittany Kruse I love it! And the mantle is perfect! You did it all by yourself. Great choices! Sometimes other people's opinions help us realize what we really want. ☺️ Thanks for the bathroom support. The journey was challenging and it's not done yet.

• last year

Thanks! I realize its not everyone’s cup of tea. But that doesn’t mean its terrible. Everyone has their own style choices and what they think looks good.

I guess I have a chronic pattern mixing problem 🤣 here is my living room rug. Curtains will be changing though.

• last year

Your curtains are what I would like in my house.  I hope you can use them in another room. I love trellises because I love my garden. I think the reason my two tile patterns work in my bathroom is the similarity of color. And then the walls are a solid and different color. I like to build in textural contrast too. One of my bathroom tiles is honed, while the other is very smooth and shiny. I look at your floors and fireplace surround with their ruggedness and imagined (forgive me) sleek modern white leather loveseat and two contemporary caramel velvet barrel chairs, plus dark bronze and glass occasional tables and a white silk shag rug. I kinda was close with the caramel velvet chairs, right? Hahahahaha. Crazy what the mind does...

• last year

Love the caramel chairs idea. I have had some in mind. I have an extra sitting area nearby that i need 1 or 2 chairs for. Can’t do anything white at this time 😆

Love how you thought to mix the textured and smooth tiles. I also think any kind of horizontal striped patterns are pretty easy to tie in to other patterns. Thats why I have the floral rug with my somewhat stripe-y floor. A simple Google search for mixing patterns shows that as long as the whole room has the same theme, it generally works. 🤷‍♀️

• last year

Not finished

yet but we’re getting closer

• last year

Looks great. Love your table too!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars256 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz