SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_1000195634922619955

blank slate kitchen remodel

CAT R
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are renovating our downtown Cincinnati urban home, and am currently focusing on the kitchen. The house was built in the mid 1840's, and had a minimalist style renovation done in the early 2000's. We currently have an ikea sink base, set of drawers and one upper cabinet. It has a lovely red and black 12" vinyl floor, bold red accent wall, with other walls blah beige, with black strip at the top of the wall. It is truly a blank slate kitchen renovation.

The kitchen is decent sized, 12X14, ceiling height is 8'. The room has 3 windows, but because of the urban environment, not a lot of natural light. There are stairs that are open, with an exposed brick wall. The wall is visible in the kitchen, but does not feel like it is part of the kitchen when you are in.

It will have wide plank pine floors, and a 36" cobalt blue Blue Star range. I had initially planned on used a Blue Star hood, style bonanza, also cobalt blue. The Bonanza style hood is designed to use a cabinet above it, but realized the slope of the ceiling there is only 8" of space above the range. If I cannot figure out how to make the bonanza hood, work, I will likely go with a chimney style stainless hood instead. All other appliances will be stainless. The countertops will be Giotto quartzite, white with blue veining. For lighting, will have LED wafers, under cabinet with 2 pendants over the peninsula area.

I need to choose the cabinet color. I wanted to go with a custom yellow cabinet, but it is above the budget limit, so need to choose between white, off white or gray. I really want the cobalt blue range to pop. I think white cabinets maybe the safest choice, particularly when it comes time to choose paint and tile, but am looking for advice from the wise Houzz folks. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Comments (38)