SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katerina15

1930 American Foursquare kitchen (blank slate!)-layout help please!!

katerina15
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help planning a layout for my small 1930 American Foursquare. Everything has been gutted- the former kitchen was a 1950s add on that was not very functional (it was also in the middle of the house, which I didn't like). I've attached a pic here with measurements, but I didn't mark windows because they will all have to be moved/replaced anyway (the back of the house was formerly a bedroom) and the gas/water will all have to be moved too, so we are flexible with where to place sink, stove etc.

A bit about my situation: We are a family of 4, with 2 small children and hopefully one or two more before we're done. I do a lot of cooking/baking and want the kitchen to be a place great for hanging out, homework, dinner etc, but also lets me keep one eye on the kids while I'm cooking.

Wants/needs: I was thinking of an L shaped kitchen with an island, along the bottom of the pic here (across from where the bathroom/utility room will be), with the L providing a barrier onto the living room and stool seating on that side. I also hope there will be room for an eat in kitchen. I want a 30 inch sink with a window above it and a gas range- I'd prefer a 36 inch but if I don't have room, can go with a 30 inch. Definitely want a dishwasher and a standard fridge with one big door and freezer on the bottom. Need a pantry for baking/dry goods. As far as cabinet space, I don't have a ton of stuff. For uppers, I'd need a double cabinet for dishes and bowls, a cabinet for glasses and mugs, another cabinet for spices and coffee/tea stuff, and maybe a narrow cabinet for vitamins. For lower drawer style cabinets, I'd like a few next to the stove for bowls, big utensils, and tea towels, 2-3 for pots and pans and baking stuff, and some storage in island for my kitchenaid and the dog food.

(I don't want open shelving but would love a few shelves, preferably near a window for my cookbooks and plants.)

Weird problem area: You'll see on the picture, next to the french doors in the corner is basically where there needs to be headroom for external stairs going down to the basement. It can be boxed off at standard countertop height and there will still be plenty of room down there, but it makes a weird spot because the kitchen can't be 100% pushed into the corner. I was thinking to possibly make a false cabinet bottom or panel and then a regular cabinet above it?

(Also, the drawing is done to scale but the graph paper didn't show up when I scanned it.)

Anyways I'd be grateful for any ideas any of you might have... I am terrible at thinking spatially and really hope to get some advice from you experts :)

Comments (5)