SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August 2018, Week 2, I Love A Rainy Night

Since so much of Oklahoma has serious chances of rainfall in the forecast for several days and nights this week, we're going to think positive, go with the flow and believe that more rain will fall. Hence, our week's theme song is Eddie Rabbit's "I Love A Rainy Night". It is a nice upbeat tune for what I hope will be a nice weather week that leaves all of us and our gardens/landscapes in a good mood.

I Love A Rainy Night

The break in the hot temperatures and the rain is a pleasant change compared to our usual August weather. You know, we got exactly the same sort of early break in the weather last August too, although it didn't last and we returned to hotter and drier weather after a while. Still, catching any sort of a garden break in August is nice.

Since this rain today is coming at us from Texas, I was watching the weather in Texas yesterday and saw that many drought-plagued areas of central Texas and western North Texas, including the D-FW metro area, have had 2 or 3 days of really nice, though scattered rainfall, so there's been quite a bit of drought relief there, and I hope it keeps flowing northward so we can get the same relief here in OK. Southwestern OK, in particular, has been really hard hit by drought and needs a lot of rain to set the plants there on the road to recovery.

Garden chores for August continue much the same as before, mostly maintaining summer plantings, preparing to sow cover crops as your own weather conditions allow, and, if you're into weed-free lawns, soon it will be time to use a pre-emergent herbicide on your lawns to prevent winter weeds. I don't know if anyone here does that, but thought I'd throw out the reminder about the timing in case somebody does.

We need to continue feeding the hummingbirds, and be watchful for hungry caterpillars on plants in our gardens. Mostly I welcome the caterpillars, and am happy to report there's Tiger Swallowtail cats devouring my parsley plants these last few days. I wouldn't welcome fall army worms though, so if I find them, I'll be killing those guys. It is their season right now, and they're not welcome here. The eastern tent caterpillars have been horrible this year, but they're about done here now. Remember that when the monarchs begin their migration, they still need to have plenty of flowers in bloom so they can nectar to fuel their travels. It is likely that recent rainfall has caused the wildflowers to perk up and grow well in areas where significant rain already has fallen lately. Usually those of you further north in OK will be seeing monarchs migrating beginning in late September and down here near the Red River we southern Okies usually see them migrating in early October. If the weather were to stay cooler than usual, they might migrate slightly earlier.

Garden pests in mid-August are usually the same ones we've seen all summer, but their numbers usually begin to drop at this time of the year. The pests common at this time of the year are the same old same old ones we've been seeing most of the summer---grasshoppers, crickets, katydids, leaf-footed bugs, squash bugs, squash vine borers (the moths are flying now, laying eggs, etc. for the second big round), stink bugs, tomato and tobacco hornworms (I haven't seen any the last couple of weeks, but my datura leaves are being devoured so I believe they are here), cucumber beetles, Japanese beetles, spider mites (I believe their population has peaked in my garden and now is falling), and (in some parts of the state) blister beetles. Remember that pest control of these is more important now and for the rest of the autumn because any pests you let survive will overwinter and give you trouble next Spring. For the most part, wild birds and turtles are in my garden every day and are doing a lot of pest control for us. I've never had as many wild birds in the garden as we're seeing this year, and I really think they largely are feeding on caterpillars and grasshoppers. If you have aphids, the lady bugs and green lacewings ought to be helping clean them up. I don't have any aphids, though, so I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing them now or not.

It remains time to plant fall garden plants as appropriate in various regions of OK. The OSU Fall Garden guide has all the recommended dates, and remember that in the autumn, the dates are the opposite of Spring dates, with the earlier date in a range of dates being for more northern regions and the later dates being for more southern regions since cold weather usually infiltrates the state from north to south in the autumn. Autumn also is a great time to plant trees and shrubs as it allows their roots to enjoy several months of milder, cooler weather to settle in before next summer's heat arrives.

Here's the fall garden guide:

Fall Garden Guide from OSU

With rain in the forecast, be watchful for the plant diseases that commonly pop up in rainy and humid conditions. This includes several kinds of bacterial and fungal diseases that afflict plantings of all kinds.

If you get flooding rainfall, watch for venomous snakes. They will be up and moving around more than usual in this sort of cooler weather anyway, and if their usual favorite spots get flooded, you may be more likely to run into them in your gardens and landscapes. I cannot weed much, if any, at this time of the year because the timber rattlers tend to be very active, though we haven't seen one in a couple of weeks now. (Still, we cannot let our guard down.)

It rained a nice little amount of rain at our house overnight, with the rain arriving around 2 a.m. We have about 0.65" of rain in our gauge----still not the sort of rainfall that would be considered a drought-busting deluge or anything, but I'm grateful for every drop we get. I'm hoping for more, but at least we got this much, and all the rain didn't bypass us this time. This was the kind of rainfall we needed after last week's dry lightning strikes started multiple fires in the counties here along the Red River---a quiet, gentle rain with no thunder and no lightning---just slow, steady rain. Everything is wet and drippy this morning and the air is humid in a good sort of rain. For us, the best chance of rain remains today, tonight and tomorrow, and then we'll pretty quickly go back to hotter temperatures with just slim chances of rain for most days remaining in the week.

The turtles in my garden have begun eating icebox watermelons. It is hard for me to get mad at them, so I think today I'll slice one up and leave it in a garden pathway. It has been so hot and so dry and the turtles do work hard eating pests, but I know they're as tired of the hot, dry conditions as we are. Most of the unharvested icebox melons are growing up on a trellis and are safe from them, but I have some slightly larger sized Gold in Gold watermelons growing on the ground. I didn't trellis them because they're supposed to produce somewhat larger melons than the standard icebox melon. Well, in a hotter drier year, they probably would but in this drought but the vines and melons are stunted so I probably could have trellised them and gotten away with it because they aren't much larger, if any larger at all, than the round icebox melon varieties. I'm hoping the turtles leave these alone. They are such beautiful watermelons once you get used to the idea of the yellow rind being normal and not being a sign that something is wrong. We haven't harvested a mature one yet, so I cannot comment on their flavor. These plants got hit twice by herbicide drift while still fairly small, so I'm just thrilled that they survived and overcame the damage enough to produce melons at all.

Here's what the Gold in Gold watermelons look like:

Gold in Gold Watermelon

That's all from here. I wish you all a beautiful rainy Sunday, Monday and beyond.

What's new with all of you?

Dawn

Comments (52)