SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

The Case for Rooms

Lars
5 years ago

Here's an interesting article that my brother found somewhere. It has an interesting history of recent architecture for homes, although I think a lot of information was left out. It did not mention the Bauhaus movement or Mies Van Der Rohe, who (I think) was responsible for a lot of open architecture in houses.

I did live in a bunglow (built 1954) in Venice, Ca. that was only 900 sq.ft. with two bedrooms and one bathroom, and it did indeed have the living room and dining room combined in an "L" configuration, and then the kitchen was attached to the dining room (with double pocket doors) and had a back door, which led to the back yard and driveway. The garage was in the back of the house and was accessed from a different street from the front of the house. This gave us a big back yard, although part of it was driveway. I liked being about to completely close off the kitchen in order to isolate smells (if something burned), and I could easily vent smells out the kitchen window or door.

Today I have a house that is almost twice as large at 1535 sq.ft. with three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The dining room is in the addition that was added to the house, as it was originally 850 sq.ft. built in 1950 with a huge back yard (originally), but the garage was beside the house and had its own doors - not connected to the kitchen or even close. The kitchen got expanded in the renovation, but one wall became a peninsula, and then there was added space behind the peninsula that unfortunately included laundry but also more upper cabinets and a pantry. It is a fairly efficient kitchen for cooking, but the one in Venice was galley style and even more efficient, although the galley was so narrow that I could not open the oven door and refrigerator door at the same time, and I could not use a pizza peel to insert a pizza in the oven.

Personally, I prefer kitchens to be separate rooms, but I do like the fact that I can watch TV in my current kitchen by looking through one of the dooways to the hall - neither of which have doors. Also, you cannot see my kitchen when you enter the front door, and that is important to me. Also, you can barely see it from the living room, but it is visible from the dining room, but only through a door opening.

Although I would prefer never to buy a house that has a kitchen that is part of a living room, I might have to make some compromises when we shop for a house in Palm Springs, as that style of architecture has always been popular there. For a second home, I think it is okay, but I definitely do not like it for my primary residence. We might entertain more in PS as well - we seldom have guests in Los Angeles any more, although we used to have large parties once a year. No one else we know gives parties like this, and so we ourselves stopped, although we may still have another one. Even when we entertain here, it is all done pretty much outdoors, and I do not allow guests in my kitchen, or at least not more than one at a time. If I do need help, I will ask for it, but I do not want anyone congregating in the kitchen, especially since we cook outdoors when we have parties.

Comments (5)