SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_986590066955777255349

Monstera, fiddle fig leaf, and general plant care

Lovetogrow_9b
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My initial draw to this forum was to learn how to care for a newly purchased fiddle fig leaf and monstera plant. I would say I have a green thumb in general and am a natural nurturer, but reading through these threads have made me realize there’s so much I’m doing wrong and/or need to change to get the most beauty and growth from my plants! From mixing/creating my own airy soil, to watering differently, fertilizing, and repotting (I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a tad bit overwhelmed). So, after reading through A LOT of threads containing Al’s (tapas) excellent knowledge dropping...I have a few questions.

For the two new plants above, which soil would be recommended? The 5:1:1 or gritty? Bearing in mind that it’s not cheap to purchase all of the materials and self mix, I’d prefer to choose one soil that I can use for the other indoor plants I have as well as the succulents and huge Jade growing outside (which I’ve been seeing most people choose gritty mix for). From what I read, the 5:1:1 seems to hold moisture a bit longer than the gritty so that = less waterings, correct? ...which would be optimal for me. Just trying to make the best soil choice before I start spending a load of cash.

Would you recommend repotting the FFL and Monstera recently purchased (which I’ve learned includes pruning roots and repotting in new soil mix) soon or wait until just before growing season ( around Father’s Day)? If waiting to repot is the best option, do I just leave them in their current plastic container they were delivered in - there’s reg soil in there, or can I pot up now...then repot just before spring? The monstera is healthy and growing like crazy already since delivery. The FFL appears to be healthy but has suffered some shock in the delivery process since I’ve already had three leaves drop but the leaves are starting to perk up a bit now (it’s been one week since I received both plants and I haven’t done anything to them but allow them to acclimate to their new environment).

What about my older plants? All my plants are in the miracle gro soil (yes I know *gasp*). And I know some must be repotted as they are terribly root bound. Should these also follow that same repotting schedule as long as they are healthy and strong and can handle the transition?

I have a 10” decorative pot (pictured below) that I’d like to use for my FFL so when I repot (of course using the good soil mix recipe provided by Al), I’d like to repot plant in a slightly smaller plastic pot (maybe 8-9”) with a drain hole that would fit inside the decorative pot. From my understanding if I do this, I would need to somehow elevate the plastic pot above a water dish (thereby not allowing any drained water to recycle back into the pot and/or allow the pot to sit in the drained water). Am I on the right path? Any ideas on how to keep the inside plastic pot elevated for water draining? Also, would it be safe to repot these two new plants that are currently in a 6” plastic container (or any plants for that matter) into a considerable upsized plastic pot as what I described above? Or would I need to take baby steps in terms of increasing pot sizes? As I said, the plants are still young and are only about 10” tall. I think what I may be understanding from other threads is it really doesn’t matter how much larger the pot is that I repot the plants into as long as I’m using the correct soil. Is this correct understanding?

Side note: my FFL has what appears to be 3 stems so I’m presuming these are 3 diff FFL plants? If so, should I separate the plants at repotting or will the plant fare better if I leave the 3 grow together?

I may have some 5:1:1 and gritty soil mix recipe questions later but I think I’ll start here for now. Sorry this is soooo long but after filling my brain up with so much info, I’m both excited and a bit nervous to get started on the right path to growing more healthy plants and keeping my existing ones happy!

Comments (6)