SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Evan, how have you been? Hoping you will post soon)

myermike_1micha
5 years ago

Hey Evan, were have you been? Miss the nice pics of your trees and the blue skies. I am hoping you are not in the drought zone of having to deal with fires. Are you ok?

How is the watering situation? Can you water and is it expensive?

How about a recent picture of that BEAUTIFUL variegated Citrus Tree you have?

Would love to see how it is faring in your extreme heat along with the other trees you have. I think you also planted a garpefruit?

You are missed buddy

Mike

Comments (38)

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Bumping up your post, Mike!

Evan, I would like to see you beautiful trees as well :)

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sunshine, thank you! Can't wait to see how his 'variegated' one is doing. That thing was so beautiful in his last pictures.

Evan, hopefully you are enjoying this summer thus far )

Mike

• Related Discussions

How would you handle this? Have we been swindled?

Q

Comments (44)
    Thank you to all who've helped guide me through this!!! Racin' I sure hope someone comes along that knows what causes that coloration on the rose stems. How many plants have you lost that displayed it? Hopefully it was only the one plant. Although even losing one plant is too many. (Especially if you cant identify what the cause is!) I will alwayz be grateful ! In the midst of a storm, there's always a silver lining, ;-) âÂÂ¥Lyna
    ...See More

Kframe....have you been posting all along?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi, Patti, Sorry I missed this. I've not been visiting here as much lately, swinging by every other, or couple of, days. Busier at work, the ads (and the seemingly continuous access problems) on this site, and the fact that I'm modding on a very active hobby site have all conspired to keep me away from here quite as much as I used to be. Hope you're well!
    ...See More

U.S. States Map - How many have you been to? MAP

Q

Comments (21)
    I forgot to mention, I plan to see the rest of them someday. Countries: Mexico (Nogales only), Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Turkey, Isreal, Spain, think that's it...all done when I was in the Air Force.
    ...See More

How long have you been married?

Q

Comments (83)
    Next month, 43 years! ♥ We lived on the same street, 12 blocks apart. We'd seen each other around and did the staring, but never said a word. I was in Taco Bell with my 8yo niece getting everyone lunch, he was in line.....very tan, wearing a button down muslin shirt partly open....nice! :0) He later recounted waiting in his van to see what car I was driving. He thought that was my daughter. I'd been moved out for two weeks & I saw him at a party. I said, "Don't I know you from somewhere? We both said, "Taco Bell." Never apart after that day. We moved in together after two months and got married two weeks later. Best friends ever since!
    ...See More
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Yeah Evan!! I hope you are well!

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Evan, here it is!! I found it. Now I would love to see some updates buddy)

Citrus pics 7/8/2018 · More Info

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    5 years ago

Forgot to say hi to sunshine and Laura, I’m doing well. Hope you guys are doing well too.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Evan, I think there is a post missing from you? It seems you might of posted something then came back to say to the girls too. Anyways, it great to see you are doing ok.

Mike)

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    5 years ago

Mike, you can’t see my post before saying hi to the ladies? It had photos in it for you.

myermike_1micha thanked evdesert 9B Indio, CA
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Hi Ladies. How are you all doing

Steve

myermike_1micha thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Greetings, gentlemen! :))

myermike_1micha thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Evan, now I can!!! Woww...It's funny. They were not there to me until I signed off and on a few times today thenj all of a sudden I see them. I don't get this Houzz site at all. It plays tricks on us. I am so grateful I can finally see them buddy. The heck if your pictures upset certain people. What's up with that? Hey, my presence here does to a few and I still stick around.lol I could care less. So many others here far out weigh the ones that have no appreciation for good people, ones like you or your beautiful trees. That is what this forums is for.

Now, as we can see, there was a thread here recently in which some were asking if the white part of their variegated trees could burn in the hot sun, and here is proof they can, more so for potted ones. The pictures speak a thousand words my friend. Thank you and I appreciate that. There are even some that think that this extreme heat can't hurt potted ones, can you believe that? I don't think so. I protect mine with any temps above 95 and they do well.

Love that dog. He's a cutie! What kind is it? I have been thinking about a French Bull dog or something like yours. I love it. Is he/she friendly, loveable?

You stay safe out there. Boy is that extreme heat! Don't know what you would do with potted ones out there? They would probably fry no matter what kind of soil you use or how often you water. Your water bill must be sky high you poor thing.

You have no idea how glad I am that you are ok and that you have come back. Please, don't forget those that look forward to your in ground trees and many other offerings you share, including plants not citrus.

You are a good human being and good member here. I appreciate you bud and any picture you have to offer, especially those dusk night shots with your trees in the forefront!

Sunshine, Laura, Steve, wonderful members and friends here. They would miss out too)

MIke

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

Mike - it's not just you. I didn't see Evan's pics either until now. I swear I wish Houzz would just leave GW alone!

myermike_1micha thanked jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

Hi guys, I think Houzz doesn't care about our time and needs as gardeners, who post information here, so many discrepancies and delays here, info appears sometimes very late. How do I know it? Here is how: on one of my threads I was posting info and received notification that said Laura have posted something 2 minutes ago, I thought that we both were posting at the same time and I asked her a question, when I looked at the same thread 3 days later, our posts were 2 days apart according to the date and time that appears under each post. Houzz has infested the garden pages with advertisements, that I don't need and don't care about.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Oh Evan, I am so sad to hear that some people don’t like your pictures and I am sure that they are minority. I am with Mike here and agree that we can not please everyone so they will just have to skip your post if they are not happy. What makes this forum so special is how generous people are with their pictures and the friendship build around our trees!!

I adore your pictures and they make my day. I can’t stop coming back to this thread to look at the pictures of your vpe tree and the beautiful fruits!!

myermike_1micha thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • jinnylea
    5 years ago

I also did not see Evan's pictures until now. I also enjoy and appreciate all of the pictures you post of your lovely trees, Evan. I believe the majority of us here do and also the many who are obscure and scroll through looking for inspiration from the pictures and knowledge from the posts. We far out-number the few negative nannies, so I encourage you to keep on posting. Love the variegated fruit, cute dog and the pomegranates. What variety is the pomegranate? I have a few varieties growing in pots, 2 with blooms but no fruit for this year.

myermike_1micha thanked jinnylea
  • Monyet
    5 years ago

Mike’s post is directed at me personally by calling me nitwit. You guys should go back and read the post Mike is referring to. I did not expect namecalling from him.

myermike_1micha thanked Monyet
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Evan, please keep posting! I can’t imagine anyone being upset by your beautiful trees! I’m glad to hear you, your family, and trees are well! Sunshine, I have no idea what question you asked. Was it on this thread? I’m sorry to have missed it! Mike, I’m glad you posted this asking about Evan...good thinking! I like like everyone here, so I hope you all keep posting. Bob, you are awesome too :)

myermike_1micha thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Laura, it was one of the posts I started and was asking how your trees were doing.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bob, hi, that was not my intention. In fact I had no idea any of it even included you. I just meant nitwits in a general term. Sorry bud. It really was not directed to you at all. In fact, I had no idea you were one of those that were upset by Evan's picture at all. I would think you were not like that anyways..)

I will go back and change it my friend. That's not my nature to call anyone a name here or in life)

• Monyet
    5 years ago

I have nothing against Evan's pictures. He does have beautiful tree's but that was not the point here, all i am referring to that some of us has to do a whole more to make our tree's look halfway decent, zone 7 on down,i am in zone 6b.

It would be better if Evan post his pictures for us to enjoy, instead to hy-jack on a post that don't have the luxury living in a zone that is perfect for citrus and a bunch other things.

They use to say, stick anything in the ground and it grows in California. If Evan just know what i have to grow through with citrus and some tropical's. Hope he understand, Bob. Let's move on.

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

Pests, disease, weather, water ph, growing grounds, bad soil conditions, enough sun, not enough sun, root issues, we all have struggles and issues no matter where you live. No matter what zone. No matter if you grow in ground or in containers. No such thing as "perfect."

Hugs, Bob! :)

myermike_1micha thanked jinnylea
  • evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    5 years ago

It’s all good Bob. I understand what it takes for someone out of zone to grow a citrus tree. That is why I always commend growers out of zone that can successfully grow trees that consistently bare more fruit than my trees do And also look better than my trees. I was merely mentioning that my trees were shunned because they’re in ground and the thread I posted in was July 2018 citrus pics. There was no mention of July 2018 container citrus pics or “in ground not invited” so I’m not sure how I hijacked a thread. I haven’t posted in a while because most of the issues posted about have been with container plants that I have little experience with other than the 3 citrus plants I have tried to grow and killed in containers, that’s why I’ve kept to myself. I’m not going to post about issues I can’t fix. I come to this forum to enjoy everyone’s trees not just in ground or containerized. I have neither name called or made a big deal about your post I simply backed away because my post obviously offended you when that was not my intention. From now on I will post my own threads and not steal others when they first post about their citrus and it happens to be in a container.

Evan

• Monyet
    5 years ago

Thanks Evan, in that post I am merely stating the difference between in ground and growing in a more favorable part of the country versus tree,s growing in my neck of the woods. There is no malesiuos intend on my part.

There are now more new members and this forum is really growing fast and I like to be more careful with what I write. Most of the time I,ll insert a picture pertaining to a article that might be of interest to some to make it easier to understand with I am doing.

myermike_1micha thanked Monyet
  • nulesm
    5 years ago

Evan keep posting those pics buddy , you and your trees are much loved here on the citrus forum. Evan I can tell you myself and many others look soooo forward to your pics in the dead of winter trust me . Evan I will help out with growing citrus in pots if you help me out growing citrus in ground in zone 4 lol like that's going to happen right .

Brian

myermike_1micha thanked nulesm
  • Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Evan, 124F must be so hard on your trees!!! I heard that water costs a lot in California! I guess that you must pay as much to water your trees now than Brian has to pay to heat his greenhouse in winter! I wish we could live somewhere with temperature around 85F all year round with a couple of showers (only during the night). Won’t it be perfect for us and our beloved trees? How is your Santa Teresa? I hope that it’s still in top shape in this temperature. You seemed so happy when you first get it but then again all of us citruholics have the same reactions when we come face to face with the varieties of our dreams!! My heart always skips a bit and I can’t click on the “add to cart” button or put it on my cart at the nursery fast enough! It’s funny to think that we all purchase the Santa Teresa on the same year Brian, Jan, you and me. What a coincidence!

Evan, how are your grapefruits now? I think that they must love the heat units you get now and the fruits must be delicious! I just bought a cocktail pummelo not long ago and can’t wait to taste the fruits. Everybody seems to like this variety!

5 years ago

Hi guys! I am glad all the misunderstanding is sorted out :) The monthly picture threads are open for everyone, be it in ground growing trees or container grown, there's also an option for posting one non-citrus picture on the monthly thread, someone called it " obligatory non-citrus picture ". We all get excited when our trees grow well and look beautiful, so why not share the joy :)

• Monyet
    5 years ago

Amy, I am kind of embarrassed showing my homemade tree,s versus the made to order tree,s, that is why I skip that part, just bits and pieces. I might be the happiest amateur in this group. I just keep on trucking low speed.

Nurseries,frequently mention here is a good thing to have not for me, have a different take on fruit growing. Why bother with making your own tree,s, too much hassles. For $ 50.00 or more you can get this thing delivered to your front door, nah not for me.

People buy plants and tree,s every spring, nothing wrong with that,no problem here as long they maintain and make them into better looking ones. I am all for that. Hope there is room for what I am doing. That make us all happy.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Sunshine, I’ll try and post in the August thread...is there one yet? But basically, my trees are great. I still need to do a little work with a few that need to be repotted, but they are all growing wonderfully. I am soooo dreading having to bring them in this winter...I get sad just thinking about it :(

5 years ago

Laura, while I have your attention, want to ask you about white flies. I remember you had a hard battle with them indoors last winter. Did you get rid of them for good and how long it took? My tomato plants have a lot of white flies this year outside and I am afraid the pests will harm my other trees.

Bob, you don't have to feel embarrassed about you grafted trees, it is hard to get them started in our zones and conditions. Bring California and Florida growers up here and give them a task of grafting and growing those grafts, they will surely feel lost or fail. I take it one step at a time with my grafts.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Oh Bob! Never be embarrassed by your grafting! Never! I learn so much from you, sunshine and Steve. If not for all your posts and encouraging words, I will never have try to graft! You help newbies like me to go a step further in this hobby and we can’t thank you enough! The problem in Canada is to be able to get the budwoods to start with. We don’t have a program like the ccpp so it’s kind of difficult for us to have the budwood of the varieties we want. Thanks to this forum, I meet a lot of Canadian friends that are generous enough to give me some budwoods so I can graft more in the future. My neighbours can provide me with lots of begonias and if I push my luck a budwood of hibiscus but nothing more. I am the only one with a sweet cherry trees so we can forget about persimmons, citrus, figs and jujubes!

And I love to look at your pictures Bob! Thanks to you I bought a couple of air pruning pots like your rootmakers. I can’t wait to try them because your trees are growing so fast!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Evan I really enjoy seeing your trees. I particularly like the block wall around you property.

Steve

• User
    5 years ago

Evan: I am glad we haven’t got too much of that heat! It’s been 105 a couple times but thankfully my trees have been fine. Its always fun to see your citrus trees.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

sunshine - if Laura doesn't get back to you right away, I had whiteflies too last year - mainly outside. And since you mention it, this is apparently the time of year they start to come out. (I started getting them in late August and through September). In my case, I have a raised bed planter (VegTrug) where I have herbs and they got on the stuff in there first (despite the insect screen that I keep on it). Then since I had placed a few citrus in front of that, they migrated right to the citrus. What I did was to first spray those trees down with water, then when that dried, sprayed them with HO. Then I got those yellow sticky traps, tied them to stakes, and stuck a stake in each pot - and that included my own pepper plants that they had also migrated to.

Here is a pic where you can see the sticky trap card which can be used as 1-sided or 2-sided (the pic also has a bonus monarch butterfly in it that I had released that day last September...lol) -

Those sticky traps are a must because you need to get the adults in order to start breaking the cycle. I had stuck some inside my VegTrug too.

These are the traps that I got (I know you are in Canada but they should have similar on Amazon there) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IMTVAI6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 years ago

Thanks Jenny! I will get those traps. Last year I had wasps' nest with about 10-12 wasps in the corner of my balcony, there were many bumble bees around my trees as well. I took down the wasp nest over the winter and moved it to the trees 100 meters away, because my kids were scared to go on the balcony. This year I see spiders on my trees, but I think they are not keeping up.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

sunshine - been there done that with critters on the balcony. At my previous place I had a wasp nest in a corner but at the time, I think it was in the fall and the temps started to drop... and with temps below 60 F (15C), their metabolism slows and I was able to knock down the nest-in-progress and they went elsewhere. I have had carpenter bees (that would pollinate my blueberries) drill perfectly circular holes in a wooden broom handle on my balcony. lol The worst were some nasty bald-faced hornets that started hanging around my hummingbird feeder. Some were almost 1/2 the size of the hummers, who really had a dickens of a time with them (both creatures are territorial). I am thinking the hornet nest was up on the roof of my building somewhere. I was able to create a DIY trap to finally get those that came to the feeder (there were 6 of them that I caught that were hanging around).

As a note - those yellow sticky traps are also great for fungus gnats!

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Sunshine, the yellow stickers are on sale at Botanix. I bought them 15% off at mine and like Jenny said they are great for fungus gnats!

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Evan I hope you are ok with coming here! It's been a while again and hopefully it's just because you have been busy. I was hoping for a beautiful sunset picture. I love the ones you post of the almost night sky there. Also, was wondering about your water bill? Is it bad or manageable? All you ever hear of is the lack of rain there and with so much heat on your side, it's any wonder anything can grow like that.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Evan, why don't you private message me? Thanks Sorry you have not been feeling like being here. Hopefully I will hear from you soon my friend.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH