SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Cards: that you receive!

glenda_al
5 years ago

Do you save birthday/Christmas, etc cards?

AND do you frame some?

I do save some cards, but eventually get rid of them, though it may be some time before I do.

I do frame cards.

Have one son sent me from the Grand Canyon, beautiful, and framed it many many years ago when he was in Scouts.

Have several others framed, that are exceptionally pretty and have significant meaning to me.

Comments (30)

• Bettye
    5 years ago

I do save them, but don't frame any. I keep mine in a box in a cedar chest. I do go through and discard some after I've kept them for a while.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

No, after a week or so, I toss them. I've never been sentimental about things like that, although I do have a wedding book that contains the cards we received when we got married and I think I still have a scrap book I started when I was a teenager that contains graduation cards as well as mementos like ticket stubs from concerts and other events, napkins from special restaurants where a special date took place, matchbooks, etc.

• Related Discussions

Thursday's Random Questions.......

Q

Comments (6)
    How many holiday cards do you usually send out? Around 70 - 100. How many holiday cards do you receive? I've never counted them. Quite a few. Do you park your car in a garage overnight? I don't have a garage. Do you own a digital camera? Yes. Do you check the receipt every time you make a purchase Usually, and when I can, at the supermarket, I check out my own groceries. I watch the screen and I like to bag my own things, so when I get home, I know where everything is. Have a great Thursday!! Thanks, you, too, Marilyn.
    ...See More

First C Card received

Q

Comments (10)
    I keep seeing this title and thinking it has something to do with a "C" grade. Not sure why, as I only have one child left in school and I have no idea what her grades are. I'm glad you didn't receive a "C" grade for the first time, Minnie. :)
    ...See More

Do you receive post cards?

Q

Comments (12)
    I signed up over 2 years ago. You can send up to 5 cards to random people around the world. When they register your card after they recieve it, you can send more. The more you send and have registered, the more you can send. Okay, that makes no sense, but I'm up to being able to send 14 at a time now. You can't pick who you send to, nor who you receive from. It's completely random. I've recieved cards from countries I never knew existed, like the one island that only got the internet a year ago, that's in the South Pacific. I hate sending to 'newbies' because a lot of people sign up, mail a few cards then never register the cards that weren't sent to them. Until my card is registered, I can't send another card. They 'expire' in 60 days. It's a fun way to meet new people and learn about other countries. Here is a link that might be useful: POSTCROSSING
    ...See More

After you received the cards I will tell you---

Q

Comments (4)
    I love mine! The personal touches were like you had been around my house!
    ...See More
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

Yes, I save a lot of cards, all the really pretty or meaningful ones. Plain ones, those that don't especially appeal to me, I discard periodically. I've never framed any, but I do have a few displayed on my piano that have been there for a number of years now. One in particular my grandson sent to me while he was in the Marines. It's a beautiful card with a beautiful verse, but the message he added to it brought tears to my eyes. And still does when I read it.

And speaking of saving cards, I have a small box full of cards that my mother had saved from her childhood, (early 1900's), and another larger box full that she saved over the years as my siblings and I were growing up. Guess I come by my sentimentality naturally!

Rusty

• eld6161
    5 years ago

I have only saved a few. And, these have been in recent years. They are so on target and funny that I just can't bear to throw them away.

As for the others, I sometimes display them for a while then toss.

DH likes to save Christmas cards in a stack, but then eventually tosses. He has been exchanging Christmas cards with a group of co-workers for years. They are all now retired and I think because of his keeping up with the cards, he was included in get-togethers of these men, about three times a year.

Dawn, I used to do that too. Not sure if my box is still stored somewhere .

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I didn't think I wanted to keep them, but then, when I went back through my stack, I found some from people who were now gone. I like to keep those. I like seeing their handwriting again.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

No. My memories are in digital photos and in my head. Easy to access and they take up no room.

• User
    5 years ago

No. I read them and they go immediately into the recycle bin.

• lindaohnowga
    5 years ago

I have kept every card from my husband and some from dear friends who are now deceased. Being in card swaps I get a lot of cards. Some I can repurpose, some are left blank on purpose so I can send them to someone else. The rest I end up throwing out after enjoying them for a while.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

rob, when my dad died, I found his travel journals. I had no idea he kept journals. Since my dad didn't talk about himself very much when he was alive, I have truly enjoyed seeing his handwriting again, reading his journals and getting a glimpse into his thoughts as he went about his days when he and my mom were traveling.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I save the ones from friends with family photos, not many now that the children are all adults. I'll save any that I think are really pretty. I don't send out cards (impolite, I know), but I get a few for my birthday and Christmas. Once a decade or so I'll send out "Happy New Year" cards. 2019 may be the year. :-O

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

can't you donate them to a senior center where they'd use the front part in craft projects? years ago people did that.

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

I have a few that I've saved from my Grandmothers & G-grandmothers. Also a few from DH's side-- his grandparents as well.

But I culled them greatly after my grandmother passed. She had a dresser FULL of cards she'd received-- from her kids, her parents and acquaintances. I kept a few of those that I scrapped with photos -- for the handwriting to go w/person, and pitched the rest.

I've been purging... slowly but surely.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Haven't framed that many, maybe 3 or 4 tops. They have special meanings and very pretty and frame pretty enough for the needed wall space.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

I have saved all the cards from the KT Xmas card swaps. When I do sign up for the swaps, I send many cards to kters that aren't signed up. I keep my friends close to my heart.

• phoggie
    5 years ago

Desertsteph.., I give them to the Neurologist Center...they use them to do crafts...,better than just trashing them. But, I do keep the cards that my children give me.

• Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

Generally, I throw cards away right after I've read them. I have saved a few special letters. I would scan them and save them, but I think about the many times I've lost digital files for one reason or another and decide to keep the originals.

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

I have never framed any cards, although some I've received are certainly worthy of framing.

I've kept all of the cards that Hubs has given me since we've been together (1981).

My parents met in 1945 and married in 1947. They both died in 1970. After they died, I came across a box in which they'd saved every card and every letter they'd ever sent to each other. I held onto them for many years, but finally got rid of them because those were their memories, not mine. Still tore me up to get rid of them, though.

• Georgysmom
    5 years ago

I save the ones my kids send, but am starting to part with them. One less thing the kids will be stuck with getting rid of when the time comes.

• tennessee_swift
    5 years ago

I’ve kept three, one of them from my grandma before she passed away. Otherwise, I’ve never kept any cards longer than a week.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

When my dad died, my mom moved in with me. She brought lots of cards that both my mom and dad received over the years. When she passed away I was going to throw the cards away but I went through them and we gave them a lot of funny cards over the years. I really enjoyed seeing them. I never got around to throwing them away.

I have kept Christmas cards mostly. Some birthday cards I still have. Some special ones I have framed. One I have that is so very special was made for me by an internet friend when my very good friend died. It means so much to me and I love that she cared enough to make that card for me. Here are the ones I have framed. I love seeing them every day. They each have a special meaning to me.

Two of these were hand made. I have lots and lots of photos on my computer. This year I started making birthday cards for my friends. I do them through Walgreen's. I get the biggest kick out of designing the cards especially for my friends. It's so much fun. I hope they love them as much as I do and want to keep them.

• Cherryfizz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have every birthday, greeting, holiday cards and letters I received since the day I was born. Even all the notes we passed in highschool. Sometimes I pull them out and look at them. I remember how all the stores sold the same Hallmarks cards at the time and you received a lot of the same card. Love seeing the signatures and sentiments from family and friends that have passed. I keep them all in a big box. My sister used to write on the back of my cards when I received them when I was a kid. I was always told to date my cards when sending them out which I still do today. I remember once my nieces asked why I was saving them and I laughed and said to show that I was loved. My nieces never knew the large family I used to be surrounded by since most of them had passed before they were born.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

I will keep cards I receive from friends for a few weeks before tossing. But DH and I have been recycling cards to each other for decades (married 40 years.) We have a few for each celebration, give them to each other and then save them for next time. It's so touching to read the old cards again, with the same sentiments that have remained unchanged for so long.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

I sometimes recycle but my DH doesn't notice. I have an anniversary card or two tucked away. I think for me it is more about if I forget to buy one, there is something in the wings.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

I came across one.....when I was packing to move. My neighbor was thanking me for finding his daughters Pomeranian. He first came to my front door accusing me of stealing his dog, stepping inside my house, looking all around. Then calmed down, when I said, "I didn't know you had a dog. What kind is it? I'll help you look for it." He was watching Lauren's dog, let it out in an unfenced yard, unsupervised .....it didn't come back. I kept the card knowing his gratitude would soon wear off and he'd go back to being a self serving, ego-head, mean man. :0)

The Christmas cards people make for me I've kept for years. Very special!

• bpath
    5 years ago

I've been sorting through files at my parents', now that Mom is in memory care. When I lived a few states away we used to send cards back and forth, and I've come across a lot of them, tucked here and there. It's uplifting to see how much fun we had corresponding that way.

I use many cards with the inspiration of my DMIL: she will wrap a gift with simple paper, either plain or a simple design, and attach the front of an old card to the top. It's so cute! And she will sometimes "embellish" the card design with her own words or a little decoration.

• bossyvossy
    5 years ago

Do not save; do not get many anymore

• katlan
    5 years ago

I do save some. Not many, but have a few that were touching.

• User
    5 years ago

I keep very few. I've been working on decluttering my house slowly. I used to save all my cards. But in recent months and learning to let go of things I'll probably never look at again. I do have a few I can't throw out. My aunt made a beautiful Christmas card years ago, and she died. I can't throw it out. Not yet.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    5 years ago

I save the cards I receive for a couple weeks then I toss them. But, now that my husband is gone and I don't get his loving cards anymore, I wish had saved them.