SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

given up for this year - but next year!!!

User
5 years ago

Not only has it been a droughty disaster, health failings have made this year less than stellar but hey, a gardener is nothing if not optimistic. Comes from living in some far more glorious future as opposed to grim reality...and nothing promises more potential for penniless gardeners than seed catalogues.

If nothing else, this year has taught me that watering by hand is a long, painful and ultimately futile failure...so back to basics of dry gardening. Have been taking cuttings of lavenders and hypericums, salvias and boxwoods...but have ordered verbascum (several), dianthus and sedum seeds...including a few new to me. Penstemon barbatus Twizzle Purple, sporobolis heterolepsis (to go with the muhlys and stipas), dianthus pinifolius (never heard of this but not dissimilar to carthusianorum and cruentus, both if which I already grow), perennial candytuft and, attempting for the first time, agastache auriaticus and silene carolinius. The verbascums and sedums I ordered at the beginning of July are already up...so I am simply ignoring the carnage around me, bumbling about in the greenhouse and tiny yard (although I did a late sowing of zinnia in a sort of colour lacking despair.

I am also determined to pull off the great rose cull - cutting back and transplanting the gigantic rambling monsters which have made large parts of the allotment, no-go areas...although this is far more contingent than the simple and immediate pleasures of sowing seeds.

So much better - transplanting myself into the unknown future where all is promise and potential...and not this sere, cropless disaster of crispy plants and galloping mildew.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting