SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arirl

Ugly Stairs between family room and living room

Ari K
5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I’m having hard time figuring out a way around this ugly staircase.

It connects the family room to the living room. The door to the right is the master bedroom.

The stair case was all carpeted one we bought the house; we don’t like carpet so we were thinking of putting down some wood on the staircase and keep the design, but I’m not sure if that’s going to help.

Next idea was to only have stairs in front of openings, but then the small section in between the stairs would be awkward.

I’m now thinking of using 4 hand hewn beams down on the subfloor next to each other to create the L shape riser (two beams in front of living room and two in front of master bedroom). And then using tow more beams on top to give it the proper height. (Last photo is my poor attempt at drawing the plan for it)

We removed the shelves in between the family room and living room to get an idea of how it would look without them, any shelf down low isn’t the brightest idea with our two hyperactive dogs.

Some detail that might be important: the floor in the family room is 2-1/4” red oak solid wood flooring. The walls gonna be SW pure white or maybe something with a bit of amber tone to it. I’ve been trying to go with the “farmhouse” look.

Any suggestions or comments would be highly appreciated.

Comments (16)