SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosazone5

What was your one favorite rose this year? Here's mine..

bella rosa
5 years ago

Crazy Love:

I'm growing it in a pot as you can see. The flowers are fragrant and huge! All of my roses that are growing in the ground didn't do so well this year. We had a cold Spring. Some didn't even bloom. Some had their leaves chewed up by who knows what. But this rose is a stunner. I would definitely recommend it.

What was your one favorite rose this year? No cheating. Only one allowed. :-)

Comments (45)

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    That is a gorgeous rose Bella! I love it and now I'm going to look that rose up! My mind changes constantly on favorite roses. For this moment, it's Golden Celebration for the sheer number of blooms she puts out. She smells amazing and is still blooming in our heat!
    bella rosa thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Bella, what an incredible rose, I see why that is your favorite.

Tiffandrew, wow incredible GC, what a color.

My favorite, wow. Hard to choose but probably Munstead wood. Tomorrow it may be a different choice

bella rosa thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Related Discussions

What is your one favorite David Austin Rose?

Q

Comments (49)
    Ok,now that the newbies have been here awhile (and I added some others) here is my list Sophy's Rose - no scent, but always seems to be blooming and that color! Tradescant - Perfect. Scent, color, bloom form. Golden Celebration - so far a golden child, love the butter yellow color. Perdita - a smaller version of Heritage with a creamy color. Fair Bianca - compact, beautiful bloom form. I haven't seen Pat Austin bloom yet (I'm on my 2nd bare root for this year, but I think this one will make it.) I haven't been as thrilled with CPM as I thought I would be. And a few others haven't bloomed enough to judge (Graham Thomas, Portmerion, Wm Shakespear 2000).
    ...See More

Time for 'What's your favorite this year', yet? (pics please)

Q

Comments (43)
    Paul--your 'Love Pat' is beautifuf!! I love the way it angles and is so open! Alexa--I'm so glad I finally got an 'Aristocrat' this year and your pic. confirms it to be a good choice!!! Thanks everyone for posting your pics.--I hope there are more favorites coming, and you're allowed to change your minds as others move to the top of your list, daily!!
    ...See More

What is your favorite white Rose? June 2017

Q

Comments (10)
    I have a weakness for white roses, including some roses that are actually pale pink, but read like white to my eyes. I'm one of 'Mme. Jules Bouche's fans. Among the warm climate roses not too many come to mind, actually, though like all the world I like 'Mme. Alfred Carriere' and 'Cl. Mrs. Herbert Stevens'. Oh, and 'Odorata' is a good one, with a particularly good scent. 'Dupontii' makes a 10' x 10' shrub, self-supporting and arching, with sweet-scented milk-white blooms, well-behaved, distinctive, and handsome all year long. It's supposed to be an offspring of R. moschata, and looks it. Of the once-blooming old roses, 'Mme. Zoetmans', 'Vierge de Clery', or whatever the name of the white sport of 'Centifolia' is, 'Shailer's White Moss'. Of modern roses I've always liked the DA 'Winchester Cathedral', and the DA 'Sharifa Asma' is good (color pink but white in effect), a sturdy rose and one of the most fragrant around. Oh, the Pemberton Hybrid Musk 'Pax' is a fine plant and has particularly fine buds. And 'Penelope' is near white and has every virtue.
    ...See More

What were your favorites this year?

Q

Comments (57)
    FrozeBudd- I love Bishop of Canterbury as well. It was near my kitchen window and I loved looking out at them everyday. I saved the tubers. Fingers crossed they‘ll survive and I can plant them in the spring. That’s a bummer Princess Kate was missing from your order. It is a beautiful and unique clematis. This was it’s second year. It’s first year I didn’t see any flowers because the deer ate all the buds :( Hopefully, you‘ll be able to pick one up this spring :)
    ...See More
  • R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

Mine is boscobel..

And easy does it .. might change my mind in a fortnight:)

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

And Julia child

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So hard to choose I’ll just pick one favorite out of several. Here is Lavender Crush

The color works with everything else, including Jude and Grand Dame here

This was the plant when I took it home from the nursery. Other than when hit by hard freeze, it has never stopped growing and blooming

I have always wanted a true deep royal purple rose, and Lavender Crush is the only one that ever produces such a color for me. It strong growing, always in bloom, and has spectacular fragrance, too. Hard to believe such an exotic color and amazing scent comes on such a big and easy plant. I tried Intrigue, Ebb Tide, Big Purple and Twiight Zone, and while they all had some nice blooms none were nearly as purple as Lavender Crush.

5 years ago

Hey Ben, is Lavender Crush a climber? It sure s a gorgeous color.

R pnwz, I adore my Easy does it

5 years ago

Kristine,

Yes, Lavender Crush is a climber, vigorous and strong growing.

5 years ago

One of the prettiest purples I have seen.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

Mine was Earthsong:

• bella rosa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone for posting beautiful pics. Keep them coming.

• lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

Ben T your Lavender Crush is gorgeous! Unfortunately mine is not going to make it in this area - hot and humid midAtlantic. It is defoliated to the tips with BS and anthracnose and I don't like to spray. So sad because it is the best lavender I have seen.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Love all the pics above. Wish I had room for a Boscobel--fine-looking rose!

Hard to have a favorite when the excessive heat and the Japanese Beetles destroy all my rose blooms, but it looks like the JBs have left now, and two days of rainy overcast weather has encouraged several roses to start blooming again. Since Munstead Wood has the most buds opening up (8 of them!), it is my favorite at the moment--though it usually wins in most circumstances. Can't get enough of those gorgeous blooms.

Haven't taken a photo all summer, so we will have to settle for last years MW:

~

Kate

5 years ago

Kate, What a yummy picture of Munstead . I dont care what color phase he is going through, each one is beautiful.

5 years ago

Lkayet

Sorry to hear your Lavender Crush is not doing well. I also live in a very hot and humid climate, but I do spray fungicides like clockwork, so hard for me to tell which ones could go no spray (my guess is pretty much nothing could be no spray in my climate except 2KO).

• Dave5bWY
    5 years ago

This winter and spring were rough, many dying back to the ground, not experiencing a spring flush or much of one on many, and loosing a few potted roses. However, only one did not experience any winter damage and has been growing and blooming well and that is Eglantyne.

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Wow, Dave!! - that's a huge bush!!! You grow it very well!

Kate - that is an incredible picture...maybe the best picture ever taken of a rose. Holey moley!!!

Jim - your EarthSong is brilliant...all summer long!

BenT - that is a wonderful purple!!! You are so right...I'll never find that color...unless I buy Lavender Crush. LOL

R - your Julia Child is a stunning bloomer!!! Wow!

Kristine - So many MW blooms!!!

Tiffandrew - Those are some huge, vivid blooms!! :)

Bellarosa - Your Crazy Love is one I've never heard of before! I want one!!! :)

Mine is a choice between 2 roses. Which one to pick...hmmm....

I guess I'll pick Chandos Beauty. I love the fragrance!!! And it gets a ton of blooms!!

Carol

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

So many beautiful roses here! Your Lavender Crush might be my favorite of all those pictured here, Ben. I can’t believe people were finding it at Walmart. My Walmart is a total loser in the rose department. I asked once why they let so many of their plants die, and they said they are only allowed to give a certain amount of water, and no more. I guess even Walmart has to follow the water restriction rules.

I too, love Boscobel, but I haven’t had it long enough to declare it my favorite, yet. Yours is wonderful, R pnwz!

Crazy Love looks great, but Sweet Mademoiselle May have scared me away from orange roses forever! Lol. I’ll just enjoy yours.

Munstead always looks good to me. Yours are both lovely, Kristine and Kate!

Tiffandrew, your Golden Celebration is worth celebrating! It makes me want one, but I know it grows enormously huge! I love it!

Jim, your Earth Song has been blowing me away with its performance this season, gorgeous!

Dave, your Eglantyn is amazing! I’ve always wanted her, but I hear she wouldn’t be happy in my climate. Yours is just beautiful!

Carol, I knew you’d pick Chandos Beauty! She’d be my pick of your roses, too! She’s just so full, and unblemished! I love it! It does remind me of a few of my favorite cream colored roses.

I can hardly pick just one, but I don’t want to cheat by choosing more. It’s between Princess Charlene de Monaco and Mel’s Heritage. (That’s not really cheating, right? I’m going to pick one. I’m just thinking “aloud”, here.)

I chose.........

MEL’S HERITAGE!!! How could I not? This amazing rose gave me hundreds if not a thousand blooms late May-June. I wasn’t able to deadhead them, yet he’s covered with blooms again now. I LOVE this monster of a rose! Lisa

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

Bella Rose,

Much to my surprise, my favorite rose this year is one that already started to impress me last year as a spring planted gallon from Chamblee's. It is a climber, Climbing Pink Don Juan.

It's praises are considerable: rich medium/deep pink, 4" , 30 petaled, 3-4 per cluster, long lasting, non-nodding, non-crisping nor wilting, and very fragrant blooms. The most impressive point about Climbing Pink Don Juan, is its continual blooming trait, not long flushes with periods of no blooms, but constant flower production. This is remarkable for any rose, yet alone a climber, and a young, immature one to boot!

Climbing Pink Don Juan was tip hardy with no protection last year, it's first winter here. Cane length has been 5', much longer canes are expected. Flowers come in clusters on short, about 8" laterals.

The only fault I have found so far in CPDJ is that it is not black spot proof, but it is in the top 25% of BS resistant roses in my garden, just behind Quietness and ahead of Julia Child, in this regard.

Another point about Climbing Pink Don Juan is unfortunately, it is only available from Chamblee's, to the best of my knowledge. As many of you know Chamblee's has been up for sale. Mark Chamblee was hoping to retire. I do not know the nursery's current status, but when it goes, Climbing Pink Don Juan may become a near-relic, commercially.

Moses

• Diana (zone 8, AL)
    5 years ago

Mine are at this time:

ETRUSKA

Enchend Mariner

Love Song

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

lilyfinch ur Bathsheba is pretty..I have never heard of this one. Your picture of the bush is better than what I see online. Its almost making me want one but now I want only strong smelling roses. Is this the right one then?

• Margaret Georgia zone 8
    5 years ago

Mrs BR Cant... I've had others that are beautiful and fragrant and have a nice bush shape, but most of them are affected by thrips or are still small. The missus has been great this year. Photos from just a minute ago...

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

Another one of my favorites this year was Miracle on the Hudson (MOTH)

5 years ago

Ooohh eeee, what beauties.

That gorgeous Chandros Beauty, love that one Carol.

Bathsheba, wow! What a color. I wish it wasnt a climber. I look forward to see how that one does Lilyfinch.

Geeze, Mels Heritage , look at that baby go . Got to love a rose that gives you that many gorgeous blooms Lisa.

Ben, OMG, Lavender Crush, even the name of that rose is delicious .The color is stunning, for me, I wish it wasnt a climber. I have no room for a climber .

Dave., Pretty, pretty Eglantine, wow. What a beauty. It says a lot about that rose that it is thriving when not much else is .

Earthsong , what a healthy gorgeous rose . With all of your rain it is proving that it is a hardy beautiful rose Jim.

Boscobel, this one is on my list

The fact that you chose this as your favorite says a lot about this rose, it is beautiful R pnw.

Mrs RB Cant, another fabulous rose that is dearly loved. Yours is beautiful Margaret.

Crazy Love is crazy beautiful. Personally, I love orange roses .

I can't wait to see how this one does Bella.

Love song is su h a yummy color. It was hard to choose one wasn't it Diana?

Tiffandrew, Holy Moly, I adore your Golden Celebration, what a fabulous yellow. I heard that it is a big healthy rose .

Climbing pink Don Juan sounds so beautiful Your description of it sounds like it is a real beauty Moses

Munstead wood, Kate, we picked the same rose and there is a reason for that, color. That magnificent rich color. It sure isnt for the bush itself

Everyone's picks are so beautiful

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Such gorgeous pictures!

Kashmir has done well despite the unforgiving heat. With my limited sun, harsh winters, and high black spot pressure I am limited in what I can grow, so this intensely colored, many petaled, disease free, vigorous rose is a delight. It has not had as much of a fragrance as it did before planting, but I have high hopes that it can regain its fragrance somehow.

5 years ago

Wow! Pretty red.

I just heard back from Hortico znd they may have Chandros Beauty. She said to check back this fall

Wouldn't that be cool if they do

• Diana (zone 8, AL)
    5 years ago

Kristine, Chandros Beauty on my to get list! Yay!

5 years ago

Thank you, Kristine! Chandos Beauty is at the very top of my ‘want but can’t have’ list! I blame Carol for flooding GardenWeb with so many irresistible pictures of it!

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Lilyfinch - I love your Bathsheba!!! And I would love to have a rose that smells like honey! Sounds like a winner!

Diana - oh swoon!!!! Your Etruska is sublime!!!! I want that rose!!!! Really cool spider too! :)

jwusauk - Oh wow!!! Your Kashmir is exquisite!!!!! I looked it up...and it doesn't have fragrance...darn.

It's 34C today (hottest August 9th in our history) (tomorrow will be 37C/97F hottest day ever in Calgary)...and Chandos Beauty never stops blooming, and the flowers are still perfect! And the fragrance is incredible!!

Carol

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Carol, thank you! When I first got Kashmir, the blooms had a wonderful, sweet, cherry-like smell. I don't know whether the plant has just gotten the smell fried out of it by the 90 degree temps or what. But the blooms did once smell wonderful, and Ping Lim actually recommended Kashmir to me as a fragrant rose good for my location, so I swear I will get this rose to smell again!!

5 years ago

I told them at Hortico that there are a bunch of us looking for Chandros beauty

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    5 years ago
    Omg Lilyfinch, Bathsheba is so, so gorgeous! Is she a bit darker in the heat? All the promo pics are more of a bright orange...but I like this color much better!
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

jwusauk - Cherry fragrance!!!! Oh my sweet goodness...I want that rose...although I'll never find it.

Here's another picture of Chandos Beauty blooming in 35C/95F temps. And the fragrance!!!

• Dave5bWY
    5 years ago

That is sooooo pretty, Carol!!! That is rose perfection!

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Oh my goodness, Carol. That is beyond beautiful!! Now I want Chandos Beauty, too. Though she would probably be a black spotted mess here, I’m gathering from HMF. Sad.

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    5 years ago
    Carol, ow wow! That is stunning!
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Thanks, everyone! This bloom is handling the 95F temps we're having....no crisping. Plus it's been blooming non-stop (with lots of roses) for at least a month. And the fragrance is divine! We don't get black spot here...so I can't chime in on that.

Carol

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

I'm bad at following directions, so sorry - out of 130 roses, I HAVE to list two instead of just one.

This year, I am somewhat surprised to see that my favorites are oldies ... but goodies. With many special new additions, and fabulous DA's, and some rare and hard to get - my two fav's this year are those that can be found anywhere - Crimson Glory (#1), and Fragrant Cloud (#2)

My criteria is:

1. M U S T be fragrant, VERY fragrant

2. Must have dealt well with the crazy heat we have

3. Must have good, solid repeat

4. Must have healthy foliage

5. Must have beautiful bloom form

These two meet all those and more.

Crimson Glory - I realize I keep taking bush shots and need to get some individual bloom shots, as they are fabulous. The repeat is intense - it's always covered in blooms, of gorgeous, classic HT form. Fragrance is heavenly. Bush is very healthy. This is the only rose I have 3 of.

Fragrant Cloud - form is even better than CG, blooms are voluptuous, scent is strong (maybe a little odd for some - I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but it has definitely grown on me). The intense deep orange color, while maybe loud for some, is breathtaking to me. The only thing that lags a bit is repeat is slower than CG. And the only other issue is, what crazy person named a bright orange rose "cloud"? Shouldn't it be white?!

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    5 years ago

Lavender Crush looks amazing

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

I love your criteria! That's what I want, except for #1. I'm getting rid of most of my Austins...and will probably get rid of all of them over the years. Love that picture of FC!!! And I loooove bright, in your face, colors!!

5 years ago

Fragrant Cloud is stunning . I like the in your face orange

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Rachel , actually in the heat , this is the color! I imagine Bathsheba will have that darker color come fall. I’ll be sure to update . It’s an excellent rose !

I have chandos beauty also from hortico ! But mine is just growing. Gotta show it some motivational photos from carols garden ! Time to feed again also

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Lilyfinch - I'm sure yours will be amazing in no time. :)

Carol

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

My favorite new rose is Soul Sister - love love its color! Thanks Lilyfinch for recommending this rose earlier in the year. Now, I understand why you highly recommend it.

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

Karen R , your Crimson Glory is beautiful! My dad has two Cl Crimson Glory and it is a truly gorgeous rose. I’m glad you showed the whole rose bush too, it’s nice to see overall shape and size.