SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

I'm afraid to buy store-bought greens anymore

5 years ago

I don't eat a lot of salads, but I'm definitely wary of store bought greens. There is yet another recall of products making people sick, this time with cyclospora, which is a particularly nasty parasite that is hard to get rid of.

I'm telling you, we are so lucky to be able to grow our own greens and avoid all the nasty diseases that come from packaged stuff nowadays. I think some people are just careless with packaged greens, though. Even when I did eat them, I always soaked them in vinegar water for a minute or two before spinning them to eat, then rinsed them again.

Restaurants in particular don't seem to be safely cleaning their greens before use, which is why I never eat salads in restaurants, in fact, I hardly ever eat in restaurants, having worked in them. When I do, I eat something cooked, or that doesn't harbor bacteria. I stopped eating eggs in restaurants even before I stopped eating salads.

It's so sad that we live in a world where you can't even enjoy a nice meal out without being afraid of being infected with something, isn't it?

Comments (13)