SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lathe_of_heaven

Issues with quality and finishes (update 1)

Ashley Rodriguez
5 years ago

Original post: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5413093/issues-with-quality-and-finishes-photos-added

Pictures in comments.

I think our next step it to request copies of all checks and invoices paid within 3 business days (this Friday) so I can see more specifics that what is in the contractor’s spreadsheet.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Spend Update

Wall Finishes:

Budget 11,232

Spent 15,846.54

Remaining -4,614.54

Anticipated 0

OVER 4,614.54

We added rooms to be painted to the original budget so I understand some of the overage, but they did some sub-par work.

Issues include: “halos” on walls around door and window trim, didn’t sand inside drawers before spraying poly, cabinet openings and drawer/door edges not sanded or painted, touch ups done with nap roller instead of foam so “crocodile skin” on cabinets/doors, some doors only primed

———

Millwork and Trim:

Budget 21,732

Spent 38,519.91

Remaining -16,787.91

Anticipated 750

OVER 17,537.91

We removed the built-ins from under the stairway that were included in the budget to save time. Additionally, I was not notified of the labor or materials increases before being sent the draw request. So not only is the cabinetry poor workmanship, it’s also significantly over budget with design removals and without notifying me of the cost changes. If it was underbid he should have told me “the price would actually be $$ for custom inset wood cabinets” so I could choose to increase the budget or alter the design. Also, there are additional costs for them attempting to fix issues I raised.

Issues include: Kitchen cabinets have larger than 1/8” gap between inset drawer and frame, inconsistent gap on sides of doors/drawers, protrusion past the frame face, nails visible where the carpenter missed the wood, nail and staple holes not filled, hardware screws splintered not filled, nail/screw head pop outs, pull out pantry almost in operable; Bathroom stained wood bathroom cabinets have splintered area filled with putty; Mudroom washer and dryer boxes have gaps between the wall

Quality Issues · More Info

———-

Stone/Tile/Cultured Marble:

Budget 8,518.5

Spent 11,377.13

Remaining 2,858.63

Anticipated 0

OVER 2,858.63

Some materials were higher than the budget allocated, however the finishes are sub par and there are additional costs for them attempting to fix issues I raised

Again, if was underbid he should have told me “the price would actually be $$ for this material or pattern because of difficulty” so I could choose to increase the budget or alter the design.

Issues include: Kitchen backsplash grout holes, inconsistent grout widths, tiles not cut with wet saw so there’s chipped edges, tiling around hood vent; Bathroom shower grout edges unfinished, very wide grout lines between wall and tile, no grouting in some areas, shower niche shelves not installed; Mudroom floor has 12 x 24 marble tiles offset by 1/3, lippage several areas far over 1/16,” Space between end of tile and baseboard or visible, tile cut to wrong size and filled with grout, inconsistent grout between the tile and door threshold

Quality Issues · More Info

————-

After sending pictures with descriptions he, his partner, and a worker came over to look at everything Friday. We received the following email Monday (only my name is redacted)

Thanks for meeting with us last week. I got a chance to go over the punchlist items and meet with our subs about our cost to get you what you want. I also got a chance to speak to my business partner about how best to proceed. We came up with two alternatives. The first is remove the drawer fronts that can not be adjusted, bondo the lines, reinstall the doors, respray the kitchen and do other touch ups for you guys. The other is to increase our out of pocket and to allow for you to move forward with another contractor.

To get started with the first option we would need to get paid for the work already completed. We would perform the trim repairs, sheetrock touch-ups, calk and painting at our expense. This would be about 2 weeks with the respray of the kitchen.

The second option would be a lien release and payment type solution.

Both options are detailed on the attached excel file. I thought we were on track to get you the house with the finishes you wanted. It was heartbreaking to see that we are not where you want to be. Let me know what you and NAME want to do and we will get it done.

Original final draw: $18,700

Option 1 (they “fix”) final draw: $19,500

“remove the drawer fronts that can not be adjusted, bondo the lines, reinstall the doors, respray the kitchen and do other touch ups”

We would be paying $20k over budget for them to bandaid some of the issues but not all.

I don’t want them to use the existing drawer fronts because they and the openings are not square so there will still be uneven/large gapping. I want them properly fixed (plane fronts to correct and consistent size, plus redo face openings accordingly) or rebuilt.

Nor do I want them to “Bondo the lines” to put a bandaid over shoddy work. These are not existing ones they tried to spruce up, these are custom, all wood cabinets that should have been built correctly.

Option 2 (walk away) final draw: $10,300

“increase our out of pocket and to allow for you to move forward with another contractor”

We would be paying $10k over budget for poor quality and then have to pay for another contractor to come in and fix it.

I got one bid back and it’s $14,900 for millwork/trim fixing, $2,700 to fix tile (I provide materials), and $12,500 to paint and revarnish carpentry work. That’s $30,100.

Contract

“Owner acknowledges and agrees, however, that it may be inappropriate and/or unreasonably expensive and time-consuming to replace, re-fabricate or repaint a component that exhibits a minor defective condition. In such instances, the Builder, in its sole judgment, may (i) employ an alternate remedy to correct the deficiency in conformance with reasonable building practices, or (ii) conclude that the condition is within acceptable tolerances and take no corrective action.”

Resolution of disputes

“State of Texas Administrative Resolution. Construction defect claims related to standards of performance under any applicable warranty will be addressed through the administrative procedures established by the Texas Residential Construction Commission Act. The Parties agree to cooperate and to fully participate in the dispute resolution process that is prescribed by that Act prior to initiating any arbitration.”

(FYI, the Texas Residential Construction Commission Act was abolished in 2009 so it’s reverted back to the Residential Construction Liability Act.)

“Mediation-Binding Arbitration/Waiver of Jury Trial. The Owner and Builder agree that all controversies, claims (and any related settlements), or matters in question arising out of or relating to (i) this Contract, (ii) any breach or termination of this Contract, (iii) the construction of the Home and/or its repairs, (iv) any acts or omissions by the Builder (and its officers, directors or agents), and/or (v) any actual or purported representations or warranties, express or implied, relating to the Property and/or the Home (herein referred to collectively as a “Dispute”) shall be submitted to binding arbitration. The Parties will attempt to resolve any Dispute through informal discussions, and the Dispute may be submitted to non-binding mediation under the Construction Industry Mediation Rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”). In the event that one or both Parties do not desire to mediate, or the Dispute is not resolved by direct discussions and/or mediation, the Dispute shall be submitted to the AAA for binding arbitration in accordance with the Construction Industry Arbitration Rules of the AAA...

In rendering the Award, the arbitrator shall limited by and fully comply with Texas law, and shall state the bases for the Award, including any computations of damages or offsets, if applicable. The Parties agree to abide by and fully perform in accordance with the Award rendered by the arbitrator.”

Comments (24)