SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lambsear1

Cliq Studios Cabinets-Quality issue

lambsear1
11 years ago

Hello,

Anyone have issues with the quality of the finish on Cliq studio cabinets in white?

Comments (72)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

I was seriously considering Cliq. Until the linen sample came with paint runs. I did call and they said that if a cabinet front went out with drips they would replace it. . . Didn't end up ordering from them.

jen

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Jen, what did you end up ordering?

• Related Discussions

Reports on Cliq Studios, Kit Cabinet Kings, Modern RTA, Cabinets.com?

Q

Comments (12)
    I have Diamond cabinets, the ones with soft close as standard, and they've held up perfectly in a heavily trafficked galley kitchen for the past year (a painted finish that has survived multiple games of soccer in the kitchen!) We got them through a kitchen shop, not Lowes, but when I've been to Lowes, they have the same style, just with a different name. I looked at a range of other lower-cost options: a sample cabinet from Barker in walnut as well as several sample doors seemed beautiful and solid. I also got sample doors from Cliq which were very splotchy in their stains; also the one painted finish I ordered as a sample scratched with almost no effort. There have been positive and very negative reviews about Cliq on GW; I think Barker has only received kudos. For someone like me - with no time, space or skills to actually assemble cabinets - Diamond was a great alternative.
    ...See More

CliqStudio Cabinet Experiences?

Q

Comments (7)
    Here are pics from our recently completed kitchen using Cliq cabinets. Overall, I would say we are very happy with the finished outcome. The Cliq design team worked with us on several "semi-custom" applications - the bench, the island and stacked oven/microwave cabinet (they also worked with us on creating a custom laundry room area with a stacked washer/dryer, prep/folding area - etc). We did stacked uppers and the crown as well as the trim moldings between the cabinets are nice finishing touches - that lend a more "customized" finish. As far as the quality goes, were there a couple of issues -- yes; but, nothing what I would consider major. The cabinets seem like solid construction (our contractor felt the quality of both the wood and the hardware were on par with what he uses with his "cabinet guy". Finish quality, we have a pretty good size kitchen with a bunch of cabinets. A handful of the cabinets, maybe 6/7 had some minor cosmetic blemishes and Cliq has a couple ways to handle these problems. Some of these are handled through replacement, or direct compensation back to fix/repair, they have a stellar customer service team. The biggest struggle with us was on the assembly of the cabinets, we used a very experienced general contractor and they had some fits with the construction. This isn't necessarily Cliq's issue, it was just a different assembly then what they were used to - so, be aware (all these areas are covered pretty well in the Cliq assembly packet for the most part). For us, we saw the gamut of cabinet costs and Cliq was on the lower end - our total costs for a kitchen that is roughly 25' x 17' was about $18K. Like I said earlier, so far, we're really happy with what we have. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Have you use CliqStudios kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (7)
    Check out the Better Business Bureau site. Many complaints about Cliq. You want inexpensive cabinets of quality? IKEA is your best choice. An abundance of people on this forum have used them, and been very pleased. We put IKEA cabs in our laundry room. My son put them in his apartment. They’re economical, rock solid, and come with all the bells and whistles...soft close drawers and doors, and a variety of configurations.
    ...See More

CliqStudios (cabinets) - OUT OF BUSINESS?!

Q

Comments (65)
    @JuneKnow, are you really live_wire_oak, who no longer has an active account on here? I see that you consistently post with ProSource Memphis and Celadon on the same threads and you sound suspiciously similar. Unless you have recently purchased, installed or have been directly involved with CLIQ I see no value in denigrating a company that is employing American workers who are trying to take care of their families and put food on the table. Have you not noticed that we are in the middle of a pandemic and millions of people are out of work? What is your motivation in trying to negatively impact this business? You did the same thing to Wellborn on another thread. Let real users share their experiences. I do believe that forum members are smart enough to do their own research and make up their own minds. @millworkman, I read this thread last night and saw Cliq's response and now see that it is deleted. I did not consider it SPAM, but their right to defend their company against anonymous persons sitting behind a keyboard and bashing their company.
    ...See More
  • susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Roger613, thank you so much for letting all of us know how terrible these cabinets are to install. I bought samples of other cabinets that are made much better than the samples I got from Clique. I love the pictures but I am going to pass. Your post reinforces this. We all appreciate you for sharing.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Lynn~
    So sorry! Just noticed this. We are building new and found cabinets in ReStore that we adjusted the plans for. Cliq studios quote was between 12-15,000 depending on pantry spaces and different options. We spent 800 on solid wood cabinets. We have to finish out the backside of the island and build one shelf area on end of island (my dad built all of his oak cabinets/trim-so I have some help) and we are going to paint all of the cabinets to get the painted cabinet look I was wanting for a farmhouse kitchen. My sink is an old crane 42" wide double basin, cast, freestanding sink so it was easy to work it around. At this point I could spend 9,000 on painting them and still come out ahead. Hope to post pics ... One day!
    Jen

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Jen, thank you so much for letting me know. I definitely will not be looking at Cliq Studio Cabinets anymore. I live near three of these stores. I know it is a hit or miss if they have what you need in stock. I may stop in. Your kitchen sounds like it will be beautiful and have the look that you like and you created it with love. I can't wait to see pictures.

• ganoobrt
    10 years ago

I am writing a review of my recent experience with Cliq Studios. I just wanted to warn people to do their homework before buying kitchen cabinets online. If I had to do it all over again, I would have ordered them from Lowe's or Home Depot. I think the prices are comparable and I would have paid to have them installed. I know they would stand behind their products and any issues would be dealt with locally instead of having to be shipped.
    We installed the cabinets ourselves & have had issue after issue. We are not new to home improvements, have been doing them for 23 years but this has been a thorn in our side. First off..don't be fooled by their website. It is very nice and their reviews are very good on their website but I somehow doubt that they post any negative reviews they may have received. I ordered the white Dayton cabinets. Here are some things to consider. The finish on these cabinets are something between flat and eggshell. I have tested on sample piece after I purchased them and started having issues ( I wish I had tested them before I purchased) I have noticed that mustard will definitely soak into the cabinets & permanently stain as well as oily things. They are not so easy to clean. Do not use magic erasers as they will scratch the surface. If you do decide to use Cliq Studios, communicate via email on major decisions you make. I didn't think anything of phone conversations and decisions that were made over the phone. When you make decisions on the phone with your designer, then there is no documentation. If you try to tell them that you said you wanted something, they will just tell you that you signed off on the order and should have reviewed your order sheet more carefully. Not very good stall instructions on fillers and crown molding. We ended up having to modify and create our own molding because what they sent looked horrible. I lost out on $400. They charge a 25% restocking fee and you have to pay for shipping. Just be aware and order locally if you can. I hope they hold up well....we shall see.

• fatmax
    10 years ago

Purchased white kitchen cabinets from CliqStudios 2 months ago for a rental unit mainly because their pricing was the lowest. The old adage goes, "you get what you paid for." This definitely applies here. I will be very surprised if this product lasts any more than 3-5 years. It did have a nice painted finished appearance. And the structural box of the cabinet appeared to be of suitable quality. However, the components inside the cabinet (drawers, hinges, rails, srews, etc) appear sub-par. The craftsmanship needed to properly install all of these components to make for a quailty cabinet was also lacking. Several door fronts and drawer rails were crooked. If you purchase through CliqStudios be prepared to make some tweaks once your shipment arrives. Speaking of which, the shipment process was an absolute nightmare. These folks outsource all of their shipping to third party freight companies. These third parties in turn hand off the product to other third parties. I learned first hand how inefficient this process can be. Arranging a delivery then not receiving the product on agreed date. Parts of the shipment being lost for weeks and no one knowing where the missing pallets are. For this reason alone, to save myself the hassle, I did not want to return any damaged product for exchanges. I just fixed them myself. I will add CliquStudios design rep was helpful and friendly. And when I encountered numerous shipping issues with third party freight companies (of whom even CliquStudios couldn't keep track of) their customer service department was friendly enough but just not very helpful. Overall, I would not purchase from CliquStudios again and could not recommend their product or services to friends or family in fear they may also experience what I have. Hopefully for this company's sake my experience was an isolated one because I like the concept of ordering cabinets to your specifications online. The pricing was also what originally drew me in but I'll give this stronger consideration next time around. Good luck folks! It's always a gamble trying something new. Sometimes it works to your advantage and sometimes you live and learn.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing! I will not be using Cliq Studios Cabinets due to this thread.

• Maine Susan
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I too was wondering about Cliq Studio's cabinets... their 1st/quick quote was MUCH cheaper, but this thread is very intimidating. I will say I also looked at Better Business Bureau ratings and they are A+. I don't really think they can give me what I want as I have some odd dimensions, so will take a pass too. For my circumstances, I would rather pay more and get just what I want.

• thatgirl2478
    8 years ago

I have them in my house now. We have the cherry russet in the kitchen, the painted linen in the family room (accosted daily by the kids 5 and 18 months) and the birch sable in the master bathroom. We haven't had any problems with the cabinets. They installed easily, work beautifully, and have held up perfectly over the last 5 years of use.

Mdf is not suitable for cabinets, if you want them to last. We had kraftmade's premier line, the roll out tray failed in the first 3 years because the hardware pulled a chunk out of the mdf sides. Cliq cabinet boxes are all plywood, which you pay for as an upgrade on other cabinets. We haven't noticed any staining on the linen cabinets, and they've been through a lot.

• C D
    7 years ago

I had the painted samples and put olive oil, ketchup and jelly on them and left it for a week. Then I scrubbed it hard with a brillo pad. It looked perfect afterward, even though I was trying very hard to scratch the finish, it barely marred it. They are plywood construction with the soft close feature. And certainly better than the "golden" oak the builder chose.

• craftswithsherri
    7 years ago

christinedimasso - What finish/color did you test? Thanks!

• jdesign_gw
    7 years ago

There are different grades of composite board (MDF etc.) as well as plywood. I see so many comments here mostly from people who have never worked with either. I use both daily but mostly use the highest grade of moisture resistant MDF on the market because I know for a painted product there's nothing better. When you are getting a cabinet line that is "cheaper" than most, odds are they are using what is referred to as "import plywood". I'll let you guess what country it's imported from. So to just assume that plywood is better is incorrect. Even with the expensive plywood I use if you don't back off the power setting on your screw gun you will go right through it. Not so with the super high grades of composite board.

• Silvana Cullen
    7 years ago

Working with Clickstudio but really concern about quality.

any feedback about a company called

Cabinet.com?

• Emily Speight
    7 years ago

Slivana - what are you concerned about? I had them in my previous home and never had a problem with them.

I have never heard of cabinets.com (cabinet.com is a newspaper), but a quick look at the web page tells me that the construction is comparable to Cliqstudios but they are more expensive (they DO offer more styles & finishes than Cliqstudios).

• christofidisd
    7 years ago

Glad I came across this thread. I am searching for info on Cliqstudios as I am in the midst of working to remodel my kitchen and now I'm scared to move forward with them. The design I received is okay. I want to make some modifications but now think I should consider other companies. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I currently have Kraftmaid but do not want to go in that direction again. I was hoping for all wood construction this time around.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7 years ago

KraftMaid has an All Wood Option. It's nice. Contact a KraftMaid dealer....not a box store. From what I've read, Cliqstudios finishes are not very good. You'd be taking a step down going to Cliq. If you want a budget cabinet with a great finish, consider Medallion Cabinetry's "Silverline Series" with a ply option.

• Jane S
    7 years ago

We had Cliq cabinets installed about four years ago and they are still just as great as the day we had them installed by our contractor. I've linked to my batch of photos of the kitchen soon after the job was completed. They look much the same today. We've used Mr. Clean Erasers on them multiple times over the years (we do have kids, after all), with no issues on the paint. The color is still a vibrant white. The doors still look brand new, the drawers function perfectly, and people still marvel at how nice the kitchen is when they come over to visit. http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/5812923/thumbs/our-new-kitchen

• queenhelmet
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have samples of White and Urban Stone. I left a red-wine-soaked paper towel on them for over an hour and all I had to do to get it off, was to wipe with a damp clean paper towel. Didn't even need soap. They repelled the stain completely.

• PRO
    Century 21 Classic Gold Realty
    7 years ago

I have a final design from cliq studios and was ready to pull the trigger until reading through this thread. So glad I found these reviews... i'm trying to get my kitchen done long distance ( with a couple trips at crucial points in the process))for my second home which in and of itself is hard enough never mind having shipping, customer service and quality problems! No thanks!

• C D
    7 years ago

@craftswithsherri...I tested urban stone and linen....I am ultimately going with a different brand because of trouble I had with the Cliqstudios designer assigned to my remodel....she never reached out to me before sending a quote that was literally double my budget, and the design had several bookcases I neither liked nor wanted...it was so 1990's and dated. I finally got the simple look I wanted from her, but she refused to remove the ceiling molding and the trim that goes on the bottom of the cabinet when I asked her to, it put me over budget and I specifically said if I had money for that I would rather put it toward another pantry unit. I did try to get a different designer by clicking on the links to get your free design, but since I was already assigned it wouldn't let me finish. yes, I could have called and made a fuss but I was unhappy with the service by then and decided to wait. She must have left the company, I never did hear from her again.

• E Mills
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just finished a total gut and rebuild of my kitchen and the cliq studios cabinetry look nice but is cheap, sub par and not resistant to real life. The openings are not exactly what the spec sheets claim, you can't repair any of the cabinets because you can't match the paint and finish(they don't even sell the paint colors to you!!), and you have no control over design because they dictate the sizes available. Please think carefully before you proceed with semi-custom items...spend the extra money and go custom, be happy! I deeply regret ordering cliq and will remain disappointed through the life of the kitchen. I get to see an expensive and botched reminder every day.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

What you describe is NOT semi- custom! Semi- custom is very close to custom and has all the features you describe as missing with what is clearly a stock cabinet company.

• E Mills
    6 years ago

The things I wish I had known...I wish I could start over.

• susang1975
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Cliq cabinets are made in Indiana, not China. Many of the finish complaints on this thread were written in 2012. I left red wine, pencil, olive oil and spaghetti sauce on the white Cliq sample for a full 24 hours in 2017. The food items wiped away completely with water - no stain or distortion of the finish - and an eraser finished off the pencil. I have worked with 3 quality custom cabinet makers in the past, and the Cliq construction specs meet or exceed that which is already installed in my home. I looked at the Kraft Maid and other brands at Lowe's and Home Depot and those cabinets look like junk to me. That said, ordering cabinets off the internet is scary, and if I didn't have the experience I have I would be wary. But I am thrilled to be getting hardwood inset cabinets for the price.

• Pensacola PI
    6 years ago

Friend of ours is a builder. He uses Clique in all the home rehab/renovation work he does. He also just built a new 2600 sq ft house for himself. We stopped over yesterday to look at the cabinets, island etc which is ALL CLIQUE. The wife and I were really impressed at the overall build quality. Had we believed everything we'd read on the INTERNET, I'd have crossed them off the list long ago. Very good build quality and good hardware. Can you do better? Sure at triple the price you may well can. But for the money, pretty hard to beat them.

• dmserxner
    6 years ago

In 2016 I had my kitchen completely remodeled using Cliq cabinets. The fit and finish of the Cliq cabinets are top quality and they are a good value.

HOWEVER the thought that every homeowner must never forget is that, at best, Cliq is not very good when it comes to "custom" touches. "Custom" meaning just about anything that is not in their catalog. (For instance, if you want a real wide or farmhouse sink Cliq will not be able to help you. Ditto for a double oven with a microwave above.)

Problems also can arise when you want to change something after your order has moved to either production or delivery. The new piece or component goes all the way to the back of the queue, possibly screwing up your installation.

They are probably at their best with a plain vanilla order.

• sjohnson2152
    6 years ago

Currently working with them to design our kitchen remodel and they are (as of 9/2017) able to accommodate a farmhouse sink in their cabinets.

• Pensacola PI
    6 years ago

We did check with them but they could not help with the more custom sizes vs Conestoga, they were right there and no problems at all. We're still looking and have a couple of close bids and great options even with the more custom sizes.

• dbakernc
    6 years ago

I have the cherry stained cabinets in a kid's bathroom and they are totally awesome!!! Looks just as good as when installed, but good to know about the white for future reference.

• C D
    6 years ago

Emily Speight I got my cabinets from cabinets.com...sorry for the late reply. We just installed them. I love them. All plywood, soft close doors/drawers, and a lovely satin finish. They have added new finishes to their line, maple charcoal, maple slate, maple espresso, and navy...I got the navy shaker (I believe they are Hale Navy from Benjamin Moore). My only issue was one of the tall pantries had the doors taped, and I had difficulty getting the tape marks off. They are sending me new doors, no questions asked, no hassle, free of any charge. They have been nothing but a pleasure to deal with , the designer gave me EXACTLY what I wanted, no more, no less, my husband is doing the full on remodel himself, it's slow work as he already has a full time job ;) but they did not even question why it took us so long to ask about the tape marks.

To backtrack a bit, I looked at them originally but their colors just looked muddy in my poorly lit kitchen. When they added the new colors I fell in love with them...I almost went with the maple charcoal or slate, it's VERY NICE...but I really wanted painted cabinets and the navy blue just makes me happy. So I'm very happy with the whole experience and my beautiful to-the-ceiling cabinets and pantries.

• michellec2018
    5 years ago

We purchased several cabinets from Cliqu studios in the painted dayton style. We had our cabinets professionally installed about 2 years ago. We have had several issues. When we first received our cabinets there were several damaged in the shipping, Cliqu replaced them without any issue but it did delay the install. 2 years later all of the roll out cabinets have gouged the base frame. We were told that they require routine adjusting but that information was not included at the time of installation only after our complaint. The paint on several of our cabinets is chipping. The chipping is not from routine use and is an obvious defect. When we contacted customer support they admitted that there was paint issues for some of the colors and have offered to replace the defective fronts. As for the gouging and chipping of of the base cabinets, our only options is to find color match paint, repair and paint the cabinets ourselves. We used stained cabinets from Cliqu for another project and so far appear to withstand everyday use much better than the painted cabinets. The painted cabinets look like they have had 10 years use on them. I also understand since our original purchase that they have updated their hardware. I was encouraged because of the pricing but the quality is just not there, after spending 12-15,000.00 I regret not spending a bit more for a higher quality product that will last more than a couple of years.

• David Engles
    5 years ago

I received a cabinet door sample DAYTON WHITE. It soon turned CREAM colored, not white. The sample clearly says, "Color will change with exposure to atmosphere" on a sticker. I need white cabinets that stay white, so I skipped them. If anyone knows where to get WHITE CABINETS that STAY WHITE, please advise. Thanks.

• Jane S
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Our cabinets are Dayton White and we did have an issue where one door looked like it was cream-colored just after it was installed. We sent and email off to Cliq and reported we had been sent a miscolored door. They sent out a replacement door and once installed - it was the exact same cream color. We removed the door and placed it up against another cabinet door and it was definitely Dayton White, not cream. We determined that the way our ceiling lights shone down in that area, it caused just enough shadowing that that ONE DOOR looked cream instead of pure white. Six years later, our cabinets are all still lily white, but that one door (which is largely hidden to visitors given it's location) just looks a bit off-white due to the lights. In this picture, it's the right door under the sink. You can clearly see it is white, but in person that right door has a creamier tint to it: https://www.houzz.com/photos/our-new-kitchen-phvw-vp~2181004

• Michelle Schmidt
    5 years ago

We are in the process of installing our Cliqstudios order. My designer was assigned to us after the first designer failed to contact me for more than 2 weeks. At that point we had to make decisions quickly so we could get the 40% off sale. I feel that he truly tried to help us. However we also are having many problems now. The renderings they sent us were very deceiving (poor software?). In the rendering, the end cabinet on the refrigerator looks like it extends to the edge of the fridge - and the side panels as well - appear deeper than the base cabinet. In Cliqstudios own install videos they clearly show a deeper panel that extends nearly the full depth of the fridge. However, in our order they sent 24" end panels. It looks horrible with half the fridge carcass sticking out. Second, I explained that we wanted hutches over two of the cabinets that would have 270 degree hinges to open completely out to the side. The designer sent me links to hinges that "would work." Now that we have the cabinets, I discover that apparently there are no 270 degree hinges on the market to work with face frame cabinets like the style we purchased. I have emailed both the designer and his manager (about six weeks ago) and have yet to hear from either of them. And third, I caught that the cabinets in the rendering were too deep on the dining room side and we had a verbal discussion about it. He changed the upper to the correct size, 12" but did not change the base to 18". However only the upper depth showed in the renderings they sent me. As a result we received four base cabinets (with drawers) that are 24" - much too deep for the room. My designer says he does not recall having the discussion with me and since it isn't in writing - "its on" us. The discussion about the 270 degree hinges IS however in writing and the problem with the end panels for the fridge is so clearly deceptive in the rendering and so appalling from a design standpoint it should not be "on us". I will update to let you know if we are able to get this resolved without resorting to asking our credit card company to go to bat for us. It has been very frustrating. We love the look and the general quality of the cabinets. I think it will be beautiful once it's done, but it seems that they have too few designers to service the customers adequately. And the software produced renderings that were insufficiently documented to allow us to catch the errors made at their end prior to ordering.. Very disappointing.

• tcgnyc
    5 years ago

Following.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

When buying cabinets online,

I would not trust just a sample piece.

I highly suggest buying 1 of the whole cabinets in the design to inspect the quality of construction, the door quality, paint job overall, the process of ordering & shipping quality, etc. That way you can order the rest in confidence. If the cabinet is subpar, then you just saved a lot of $ on getting stuck with a bunch of cabinets that you don't like. Repeat until you find your favorite online. Same with hardware. Buy 1 check weight & quality & do a scratch test, look at it on cabinets before installing.

Patience pays when remodeling ;)

• kfcdc
    5 years ago

I'll chime in here and note that the "designers" are really order takers. I had an extremely frustrating and extended process with this company and flat out rude customer service people. In the end, they took the position that everything was my fault after selling us many pieces we did not need and would never have used. Any "savings" was not worth the time it took to fix finish quality issues with several cabinets as well as those crushed in delivery and lack of customer service.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

Erika, Maybe I'm reading that wrong....unfinished bottoms are the norm with most all cabinetry (especially entry level up to semi-custom...and even most custom) unless you order the cabinets with finished interiors. Or if they offer such an option as "finished bottom modification"...which only higher end lines offer that. So my question is: WHAT didn't they expect at Cliq Studios price point??? I thought Cliq was a lower end product, so of course you would not get finished bottoms. Did I misinterpret that?

• PRO
    Charleston Custom Builders, LLC
    4 years ago

I've installed Cliq cabinets on two projects now and have been satisfied with the quality of the product considering the allotted budget, but had two very different installation experiences. On the first project I took all of the measurements and put the order together myself.. that install went smoothly because I had control over the design process. The second project was for an interior designer who worked with one of Cliq's designers and insisted on handling the process. Her measurements were slightly off, which led to us having to order more trim material and thus causing delays. Nothing ships quickly from Cliq. Also, the interior designer client tried to add about as many custom "touches" as she could and it led to a lot of onsite adjustments. For instance, the microwave was designed to be place in an opening in the island... the base cabinet that the designer instructed her to order was a 3-drawer cabinet that required us to modify the cabinet and custom build the inset. I was not too keen on putting a saw to new cabinets. Also, the design called for an over the fridge wine rack with the front of the wine rack 24" from the wall... the problem was that the wine racks are only 12" deep and heavy. They look great on the rendering, but it took some serious framing to secure the wine racks in a space that did not have much room to work with.

If you are skilled enough to put the cabinet package together yourself and can complete the order without relying on one of their "designers", then I would recommend Cliq. If you are relying on the "expertise" of one of their designers, be prepared to get creative with the install. Like a previous poster said, their designers are basically salesman who can give you a pretty rendering of what you want.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Chinese manufactured products that are assembled in the US are not made in America. Unless you are some marketer looking to deceive. Almost all cabinets sold on the internet are Chinese junk. Any that you keep seeing ads for will be. Good quality American made products will be found at your local cabinet showroom. Not online.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Not everything made in China is junk.

There is good & bad products that are manufactured in China. There are good cabinets made in China and there is bad, too.

Companies who have things made in China can pay a manufacture to build high quality products. Unfortunately, the companies always push ways to lower costs. Fortunately some companies insist on higher quality and pay more for the manufacturing.

It is unfair & misleading to say all cabinets from China are junk, it simply is not true.

There are good & bad in every country.

Generalizations are often bias.

Not everyone can afford locally harvested wood and custom cabinets.

China does manufacture some high quality RTA cabinets with thick plywood construction boxes, soft close, with solid wood or MDF doors available. There are also cabinets that surpass CARB2 standards. CARB 2 Compliant cabinets, which are manufactured with premium quality plywood that meets the California formaldehyde emission standards for indoor air quality.

Consumers should do full research on the quality of the cabinets and see them in person before investing into a cabinet purchase.

• PRO
    Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths
    4 years ago

"Made in China... assembled in America" isn't the tagline many cabinet "manufacturers" or retailers boast. Please do your homework... US "made" cabinetry using domestic US or North American plywood does (affordably) exist. We (dealers and/or cabinetmakers) just don't have thousands of showrooms scattered across the US, nor do we have splashy interactive websites. We opt to invest in quality product vs marketing to the uninformed masses ... selling more.

• Michelle Schmidt
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We had a LOT of problems with CliqStudios. Once we started installing we found numerous quality issues with cabinets - nailed together completely out of square, chipped, very thin - almost transparent - paint coverage in areas, they did not pre-drill holes for screws and MORE than half of the wood drawer supports were split (we had to take them apart, glue them and reassemble), as well as serious problems with depth of cabinets in the design put together by the designer. Cliqstudios replaced all the most serious quality issues at no charge to us and we did some repairs ourselves, but when we discovered problems in the design they refused to do more saying they had done enough to make us happy. ): Seriously? I told our designer that having cabinet doors that would open completely out to fold back against the side of two of our upper cabinets was "an essential part" of our kitchen design. SO much that we would have to purchase the cabinets elsewhere if Cliqstudios cabinet doors could not do that. He sent me a link to hinges and assured me they would. However, he was wrong. 270 degree hinges won't work with faceframe cabinets. He said "My bad" but the company flatly refused to do anything about it. We had to have two custom cabinets made at an additional cost of $1,000. He also ordered all four of the base drawer cabinets on one side of our pass through too deep for our room (six inches deeper than I requested). Would have cost us an additional $3,000 to fix, but we decided to do extra demolition to make them work. He also ordered the side panels for our fridge too short. They needed to be fridge depth. Again, we had a very explicit conversation about in which he advised me we would have to have a frame built to bring the upper cabinet forward if we wanted to do that. We said we did. When they came too short, he actually lied and told me that the deeper panels weren't available when we ordered them and that we could "now" buy the deeper ones. I found a Cliqstudios video online from two years before that showed the deeper panels being a being a better design option. STILL Cliqstudios refused to replace them even though we offered to use one of the shorter ones where it wouldn't show and just have one replaced. We had to re-purchase the deeper panel for $340 more. They acted like they had done us a HUGE favor to ship it for free. Overall, unhappy with Cliqstudios. However, we could not afford the same kitchen with any other company. If you decide to purchase with them, understand that they will not back up ANYTHING verbal. Make sure every single thing you discuss is very CLEARLY in writing. They may not back that up either, but it should help. Don't trust the designer to get the measurements right. Go over every single line item by item. They don't make it easy. The line item description on our inventory only showed the width not the depth of the cabinets/fridge panel (in 2018, maybe they fixed that now.) The secret was in their code for the item. Learn what their codes mean and double and triple check not only the width but the depth of each item. Make sure you order every single thing you need the FIRST time. They will hit you with a $300 shipping fee for just ONE more piece of molding if shipped after. Our designer shorted us in that area too. We had more molding made by the same person who did our custom cabinets. Found out that was WAY cheaper than buying it from Cliqstudios. In retrospect would have ordered all the trim elsewhere. I was so upset we considered a lawsuit and thought about asking our credit card to get involved with helping us get some of our money back, but we were doing the install ourselves and it was just too much to deal with at the time. I still plan to file a complaint with the better business bureau. They supposedly have a warranty but I no longer have confidence that it would be worth anything if we need to use it. Hoping the cabinets hold up! They look good installed....Hope this helps!

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Cliq isn’t even a truly cheap option, so I don’t know what people think they are buying here. There are lots of cheaper options that have a bit better quality control.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Michelle Schmidt, Sorry to hear about the issues with your kitchen and CliqStudios. Hoping that homeowners who do find and read these comments and reviews will explore all options. I also believe the 'title' of the individuals who sell their cabinetry should be 'salesperson' ... not 'designer'. Especially given the design and planning shortcomings you and others have experienced.

• Emily Speight
    4 years ago

Michelle Schmidt - what was the purpose of reposting a nearly identical complaint to the one you posted just over a year ago (August 2018)?

I've got no skin in this game, but I do like to point out inaccuracy when it's made.

1) there is too such a thing as a 270 degree hinge for a face frame cabinet. Google is your friend.

2) idk how you thought you'd get 18" deep cabinets from CliqStudios - there's literally nothing in their catalog that comes in an 18" depth. Only 12" or 24" for uppers and only 24" or 21" for lowers. These are industry standards. Yes, with other companies you can get different depths, but not cliq.

3) have you heard of a counter depth fridge? I'm willing to bet, that any refrigerator surround you saw in a promotional guide was only 24" and didn't show the fridge carcass because they used a counter depth fridge (they should only be about 24" deep, but even mine still sticks out a bit). IDK what you saw that was deeper, though I do see that they offer a 30" panel now.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Emily

Hinge ... I am fairly certain that Cliq uses a Blum "Compact" (or reasonable facsimile) hinge which attaches to the edge of the faceframe. While there are 270-deg hinges, I don't recall seeing one in Compact for 1-1/4 overlay. It can be done with another type of hinge, but not a quick swap for a homeowner. Curious what her application and need was ... a photo would be appreciated. :)

Like you, I have "no skin in the game". I believe that when your salesperson or designer says you're getting an "x" deep cabinet that ... you're getting an "x" deep cabinet. If the signed order said something other than what Michelle thought she was getting, then yes ... unfortunately it's on her. If the salesperson said something existed that actually didn't ... shame on him/her.

"Refrigerator depth" ... Some people just don't know what "counter depth" refrigerators are ... and it's the job of the salesperson/designer to educate the homeowner. 24" Deep tall end panels 'for' refrigerator end panels shouldn't really exist given they're often not deep enough even for counter depth. Tall refrigerator end panels should ideally be not less than 25.5". But it's a matter of material utilization/yield ... getting two panels from one sheet of material. My entry level line offers 24" and 32" deep panels. Always worth spending a few more $$$ for the 32" depth.

As far as posting an identical complaint. Ehh ... I am thinking she's still salty about her experience and that she wants her feedback to remain relevant.

• Michelle Schmidt
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Sorry my posts weren't clear. The second post was an update of how they eventually handled it - information I didn't have at the time of the first post. I guess I should have just edited the prior one. And thank you Emily, I am still a bit salty about the experience. It was a costly learning curve. Just hope to help others avoid the pain by not making the same mistakes. As for the hinges, sadly, I called EVERY company I could find on the internet, sent them photos, and they all told me there was no hardware that could do what we wanted with our type cabinet. As for the fridge, I was required to send measurements of all our appliances to Cliqstudios during the initial getting started application. They absolutely knew that ours was not a counter depth fridge AND that I wanted the panel to completely cover it. The video I found showed a deep fridge just like ours NOT a counterdepth one. As for the drawers, the 18" depth was going to be custom. There is a charge for cutting them down to the smaller size. That's why the cost would have been close to $3,000 instead of the $2,000 for their stock sizes. This was per my conversations with the designer. If they don't do that, it's news to me. He said they could.