SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_owen11

Advice on kitchen cabinet and wall paint colors? Sanding a must?

Kristen Owen
5 years ago

Hi there! I'm new here, but excited to have a place to go for ideas!

I adore my house of 2 years, but the kitchen has not received any love yet since we moved in here. It is within my budget to add crown moulding to the cabinets, paint the cabinets, switch out hardware, get new light fixtures, and paint the walls. I am stuck with the floors, countertop, and tile backsplash.

The wood floors are brown (slightly darker brown than they are photographing.) The countertops appear light gray from afar. The ceiling is white and the current wall color is a light sand. Eventually all appliances will be the dark stainless steel, like the microwave and dishwasher. The tile is bright white.

Question 1: My heart is telling me to go for DARK cabinets. I think that with the light countertops, white tile, light walls and ceiling, and vaulted ceilings, this would not make my kitchen look too dark. What are your thoughts? Also, I am torn between a very dark gray, very dark brown, and dark navy blue. Any ideas based on the things I cannot change? (I will say, I tend to LOVE earth-tones, dark browns, and the "coffee shop" feel. But, I use that color scheme in a lot of places in my house. I thought blue would be a nice change for a pop of color. But I was thinking dark gray might be the most neutral and beneficial for resale?)

Question 2: With dark cabinets, would you agree with painting over the sand walls with a brighter white?

Question 3: For the hardware, I envision going nickel/silver/pewter toned. For the drawers I want cup pulls. I think this light color would contrast well with the dark paint. However, for light fixtures, I love doing bronze. Is it ok to mix the two metals? Or should I do everything in bronze? Would bronze hardware on dark cabinets provide enough contrast?

Question 4: If I am planning to prime the heck out of these cabinets, is it really necessary to sand? (*please say no, please say no* *fingers crossed*)

So appreciate of any advice from this awesome community!

Kristen

(Countertop)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County