SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hcbm

Fear of Hot Water. Why?

hcbm
5 years ago

Growing up my mother wasn't afraid of hot water. I remember hot steam if you turned on the hot faucet. I was responsible for washing up my baby brothers and had to be careful with the faucet. When purchasing blue jeans she bought a size bigger for shrinkage.

It seems that people today believe hot water will ruin every piece of clothing they own. Yes, there are a lot of cheap clothes on the market, unlike when I was a child. Back in the "old" days we owned less, washed clean and smelled better. I have ruined a few pieces of clothes, but not from hot water, but a too hot dyer. I know that my machine (which does not regulate the tap water temperature) only gets to about 100 at most 105 degrees. That is not hot water. This happens because I live on the 4th floor of a multi unit building and by the time the water reaches me and goes into a room temperature machine it cools considerably. Most people really don't have hot water, either due to machine design or just a lack of a machine heater.

So why the fear? It seems so over blown. Is it from being told over and over you are wasting energy or clothes manufactures insisting on cold washes to protect themselves from customer backlash? I am not rich and do not advocate destroying clothes by improper washing, but recently I had to spend time with several old work mates and could smell staleness from several. It was clothing that wan't really clean. They looked fine but smelled strongly of fake detergent scent and old dirty clothes.

Why look great but smell funky?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living