SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcoyle1

need advice on curtain placement, please help!

jennifer
5 years ago
Hello all, I’ve been mulling over this for a while now and I’m hoping you can help me! I need assistance with the placement and width of curtains for sliding glass door on the bottom floor of my townhouse.

The door is 96” wide and there is 40” of wall space on each side. The ceilings are 96” high and the curtains will be hung at 91” to kiss or float the floor.

As you can see in the picture there is a wall AC unit to the left. It is an eyesore but needs to stay as the townhouse only has an evap cooler and I’m not upgrading at this time. This little unit provides great relief downstairs when needed.

Im thinking about extending the curtains all the way to the left wall to cover up the unit; i can simply move the curtains over to the right for the few weeks each year i turn it on. (Where just i will see it; i don’t entertain when its that hot) The rest of the time, the curtains will hang over it in this 40” of space allowing as much light as possible and window view from my sliding glass door.

Thoughts?

But then that brings up the other side...do i also extend the curtains out to the edge of the wall so the other half hangs in this 40” of space? I need to be able to use the door...

Will it look ok if, when open, the entire wall is covered - hanging curtains, sliding glass door, hanging curtains? Or what about when its closed, will it look too heavy to have literally wall to wall curtains? (White cotton with black and white greek key trim)Will this amount of curtains fit in 40” each side? Is this a ridiculous idea and forget trying to cover up the AC unit?

Please help!!! And please excuse the mess....boxes of kitchen cabinets everywhere....cabinets get installed on Wednesday!!! :)

Thank you!

Comments (12)