SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2manydiversions

What’s for Dinner #363

2ManyDiversions
5 years ago

Photos for uploading · More Info

I hope it’s ok for me to start a WFD thread – I’m not sure what the rules are or if anyone can start one, especially someone as new as myself to this forum. My apologies if I shouldn’t have. This was a nicer meal than usual for us : )

Friday evening was Surf and Turf, sous vide. Yes, I tried to emulate dcarch's beautiful plating and rather failed! Too much going on and rather sloppily done! Anyway... New York Strip (shared with DH) on a bed of ginger carrot puree. Thyme and garlic infused balsamic reduction. A bit of smoked bourbon salt there at the top (got into the pureed carrots). Lobster tail with clarified butter (not shown). Toasted edamame and tarragon florets. Matchstick fries.

Comments (103)

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Cathy, our meals look almost the same. I made dirty rice out of smoked turkey legs.

• ann_t
    5 years ago

Jasdip, I'm glad that your husband is doing better and hopefully he will be home soon.

Wintercat, that beef is going to make some wonderful sandwiches.

Cathy you crack me up. I would be happy with just your homemade bread and butter.

Cookebook, your dirty rice looks delicious.

Made one of my favourites. And enough leftover to take with me for lunch today. (And I normally don't like leftovers).

Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken still in the wok.

Served over rice. This is one of my favourites. I make a really thin tempura style batter for the thinly sliced and marinated chicken breast.

Last night's dessert. Decided to make a blueberry pie yesterday afternoon.

2ManyDiversions thanked ann_t
  • Related Discussions

What;s for dinner Tuesday?

Q

Comments (9)
    Pam, you should've come over. We still have enough left for another meal, but I froze it. Glenda posted a recipe this morning on the "I'll share my recipe" thread for Red Lobster shrimp quiche that sounded really good, so maybe next week we'll feel like shrimp again. Wish we'd had some of your corn. Bigack, I wanted spaghetti for tomorrow's dinner but Harry has opted for pork chops. I need some pasta!! Sue, did you find any great deals at the grocery today? I envy you--fresh radishes from the garden. Nothing better than that! Susanjf, nobody ever complains about good old hamburgers! I've about decided I don't really like baked beans that much. Jasdip, glad you took a little break--unless you made your own soup fresh today and baked the bread for the sandwiches ;-) Are you still having spring-like weather? Nod702, now why don't I ever think of fried rice on clean-out nights?? Great idea!!
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #364

Q

Comments (100)
    2many, I actually am pretty good at mudding drywall. I'm slow and meticulous, but it looks good when I'm done! As for that chili dog, well, at least once every summer I go to the local A&W. They still have the carhops that come out to the car and put a tray on your window. I get a chili cheese dog and a frosty mug full of root beer. Then I'm done for a year, but that one chili dog is sure good. As for Zaxby's, we don't have them up here so I'm not familiar, but Elery had their chicken when he went to Tennessee for Aunt Etta's funeral, and he said it was actually pretty good. He had chicken every day he was there, though, and was pretty tired of it by the time he got home. It's one of those foods that you can pretty much figure isn't too unhealthy, a grilled chicken breast, LOL, so he got it every time he had to eat out. Then his sister made chicken and dumplings, and his sister in law fried chicken and there was chicken salad and, well, he came home and wanted chili! Artemis, the best advice I have is to just do it. Don't watch, be sure you get in there and do it yourself. You can watch YouTube and watch someone else and read every instruction in the world, but you really just have to do it. The first one is slow, the second one is better. By the time you're on three or four, it'll take you a couple of minutes and you'll be done. I'm assuming you are plucking by hand, I have that handy-dandy chicken plucker that Elery bought me for my birthday and it is an amazing time saver, but with seven birds, probably not worth the price. Plucking by hand takes me about 10 minutes per bird, and cleaning another 2 minutes. Scalding is a minute or so, so about 4 birds an hour. The plucker will pluck 2 chickens in less than a minute, so that's very helpful. We did 28 birds in 2 hours, packed on ice and "resting" overnight. It took longer than that to break them down and package them. I always let them sit on ice for 24 hours or so, it seems to make the birds less stringy and more tender. And don't forget to save the backs/necks for stock. Feet too, if you can get past the thought and trim the nails! Like you, I'm offended by the life animals have in the commercial food chain, and so I have to raise my own in a humane and sustainable manner. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. Annie
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    5 years ago

Going to be another hot day here on the Island.
    So I got dinner started early.

Just took a little nine pound turkey out of the oven. Destined for hot turkey sandwiches tonight.

I love the Oster French Door oven. Whatever won't fit in the Cuisinart Steam Oven, fits in the Oster.

• foodonastump
    5 years ago

Flipping through my Robuchon book I saw a lobster ginger soup and immediately thought of the opening post on this thread. Lobster was on sale, so why not? Actually the recipe “isn’t quite a soup” but I made it one. I’d make it again, with adjustments.

On my Robuchon thread dcarch linked to the allmychefs web site which reminded me of another meal from there I’ve had on my list to try:

Quite delicious, but I’m trying to forget how much heavy cream I just ingested. The recipe calls for a quarter cup, but I halved the recipe yet needed nearly 1.5 cups. Here’s the recipe and a picture of what it’s supposed to look like:

https://www.allmychefs.com/recipes/braised-lamb-shank-with-macaroni-au-gratin_996_2

• Jasdip
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Foas, your shank looks beautiful! For me, that pasta is too ornate and fussy, and I give you credit for doing it!

Ann_T, I saw the Oster French door oven at Costco once, not long after we bought the Pucky oven which died after just one year. I hadn't seen it since, and we bought the Cuisinart which we love, love. Your turkey is perfect, as always and your Chinese chicken looks better than any restaurant. I must try that, I love the thin, crispy crust.

LOL Cathy, play as you go. Nothing like improvisation to make or break a meal. Your bread and butter and cantaloupe are perfect though!

2ManyDiversions thanked Jasdip
  • ann_t
    5 years ago

FOAS, Lamb shanks are on my list of my top favourite meals. Love Lamb shanks and yours looks delicious. Just like the photo in your link. Like Jasdip though, not sure I would have made that pasta.

Your lobster soup sounds interesting too.

Jasdip, I know that you love your Cuisinart Oven and that it is large too. The Oster was a replacement for the Waring Pro that died. Like the Cuisinart Steam Oven, the Oster came highly recommended by members of Egullet. I love that it will hold large roasting pans and even my 6 litre Dutch Oven with lid. It also has a function that I didn't think I would use but have now used it many times. I never liked defrosting in a microwave, but love the defrost function on the Oster.

Last night's dinner. Hot turkey sandwiches with hand-cut fries, double fried.

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cathy, I know we’re related, somehow… perhaps not be blood, but by something! Hane’s Cool Comfort – seriously, how comfy are they! “Goal is to not run to Home Depot 80 times in one day” Now how did you know?! DH does not know how to make a list and check it twice! Repeated trips… in the same day. Sigh. When you said your Dad had 3 desserts a while back it brought back wonderful memories – my Dad also had a sweet tooth of massive proportions which I’ve inherited! I do so enjoy your posts Cathy : ) I like saffron (not in everything, of course!). Some can’t taste it, but it adds a bit of floral flavor which sounds awful but it’s not full on floral – it’s harder to describe than tarragon. By adding a smidge of tarragon to offset, it just seems to do something for me : ) It’s traditional in paella and other dishes. Give it a try! Well, don’t laugh, but that huge bowl of cut up cantaloupe, along with the well-buttered bread – I’d eat that for dinner and be happy! OTOH, if that’s cayenne sprinkled all over the top of your chicken tikki, I’ll have to pass… I happen to use my nasal passages regularly! I think we all do the same, add here, subtract there. Sometimes it’s a hit, sometimes…. well, it’s spicy Chicken Tikki Masala!

Cookebook, that dirty rice with smoked (you said smoked, oh my!) turkey, and all those scallions on top, I could eat that in a moment! Looks great!

Ann_t, the moment I saw your chicken I thought ‘light crispy batter’! My gosh that’s just picture-perfect and looks so delicious – the glaze is lovely : ) And you also made blueberry pie? One of my favorites – I’d comment about the crust, which is perfect also, but it’s all those blueberries that makes my mouth water. Oh! Your turkey skin is amazingly crispy, and so deliciously rustic in that serving dish – the finished result looks so good but honestly those fries look the best to me! I love double fried fries (my fav method is blanch, fry, freeze, thaw, fry again, and I’ve no time for that lately!).

FOAS, I’m skipping that soup for a sec… what do you mean “what it’s supposed to look like” ??? That is what it looks like – you have mad cooking skills! Hats off to you! Seriously delicious (I’m not even gonna say ‘looking’ as I know it was delicious). That pasta is a thing of beauty, and the lamb shank… oh my goodness! Ok, back to that ginger lobster soup of yours. Honestly, I rarely look at GW and talk aloud, unless I’m laughing at Cathy’s great comments… but I looked at your soup (on a full stomach no less) and said in a very loud voice “Dang that looks so good!”. Except I didn’t say ‘dang’. I’m having a hard time not staring at it, mouth watering. Whatever you did to turn it into a soup… it looks rich and flavorful and I would give a lot to taste it!

It was a dark and stormy night… no, really! The sky went dark, then came the thunder, lighting, the wind came out of nowhere blowing the rain sideways, then sheets of it surging down… our dirt yard is now a mud hole! Several, actually. And that’s not the water ‘thingy’ I had in mind! LOL! So, a rather dimly lit creamy Italian chicken with basmati, corn. Nothing to write home about. Wish I could get my mind off FOAS’s lobster soup, and Ann_t’s scallops.

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

cookebook -- I so wish I had your dinner!!!!! LOL! I hope you'll post here more!

Ann_t -- you're killing me. I'm trying to get my butt in gear to just make a galette, and you're whipping out what looks like lattice blueberry pie???????? I'll take a HUGE slice of that. And while the turkey looks exceptional - I WANT THE FRIES!!!!!! Is that bad?? Blueberry pie and fries????:)

FOAS -- I hope dcarch links some more to that thread:) I'm so intrigued by that pasta. I need to go back and reread when I have more time, but I'd gobble that in a heartbeat.

jasdip -- even though it was clunker (and it was), it's gone HA!:)

2Many -- We know dads are special, aren't they? I love that you have such fond memories and of your dad loving desserts!!!!! And while my dad's motor skills have declined, he just plugs away, slow and steady; particularly, the desserts:) And how do I know about Home Depot?LOL! DH and I put in OTR microwave that needed electric run, drywall cut, etc. We kept saying let's work till this is finished (eating the elephant type of thing) but I WILL NOT make numerous runs. HATE IT. Crappy thing lasted a year and magnetron died. We've had this ugly huge sharp one going on about 8 years and it's laughing at me -- still running strong LOL! Was looking for tarragon at a nursery and whole foods today -- no soap. Continuing my search. Also was going to get saffron at Whole foods and SHOCKING - I forgot it. Sheesh! BTW, no lie -- was reading the first few sentences of your dinner portion and thought "Gah! I hope the "water thingy" is okay"! LOL. I'd way take the creamy italian chicken over the nostril burning chix tikk:)

Had higher hope for today, but I've run out of steam. Tomorrow, if I can get my act together is corn,zucchini fritters, hopefully a galette and maybe some more buns (but those schwebels are looking pretty tempting) and taking stuff in for the fam.

Everyone's all over the place. Grilled hamburgers (going in freezer), made sloppy joes, Instant Potted a meatloaf (yes, that is about a gallon of ketchup on it -- because we aim to please) Shocking -- it looks like the two ends pieces are gone LOL!

and because 2Many keeps tempting us with risotto, I IP'd some corn risotto (serious eats). Redemption from the tikki ETA -- dcarch photo reminded me, this risotto is screaming for bacon LOL!
    CathyinSWPA

Most of all, I hope that everyone is continuing to mend, that caretakers are feeling appreciated and that good health is right around the corner!!!

2ManyDiversions thanked cathyinpa
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

jasdip!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA! I needed that! I'll give you credit (just like I did the grilled pineapple ala mamapinky0 too) but I'm copying this and putting it my SIL's birthday card, bacon fan that he is! Not kidding! Where'd you find that?????

So, I only screwed up two out of four today:) Made a galette -- I could hear my grandmother saying "aren't you going to eat those peaches?" Obv, I had a lot of blueberries too. Read the recipe 65 grams of flour, added sour cream and egg and had moist cookie dough. Good grief, Oh, 165 grams of flour? Yes. Crust is like a calzone -- not going to sugar coat it (but I did:)

DS wanted me to take a pic of his plate. He, my brother and Dad went to Italian bakery (Moios) to eat cannoli (had a blast), brought home apple strudel and then he made a plate. He made a big show of trying to cut through the crust LOL!
    Zucchini Corn Fritters -- forgot the cheddar cheese -- oh, for goodness sakes. Called my mom to alert, ie add some, emergency avoided.

Made some ribollita correctly (which you've all seen) and made some more buns sans sesame for sloppy joes (which I refuse to take a picture of:) HA! I did make them sleevendog size this time.

When I called my mom to alert her about the fritter emergency she said they had just had risotto, meatloaf ("it needed a little salt":) and cantaloupe. They were getting ready for some "blueberry stuff" LOL!

I hope everyone had a great day and all is as it's supposed to be (or better!) Arms need a bit of a work out, so I'm going to go slice some of that "blueberry stuff":)

CathyinSWPA

2ManyDiversions thanked cathyinpa
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

My market does have a play in meal planning. 5.99lb lobster this week.

Lobster rolls, fresh brioche buns and a dozen slider buns for next weekend.

(they freeze so well)

2ManyDiversions thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

I'm just now seeing some pics for the first time. Weird, but I've been busy with work...

2MD, your new kitchen is going to be amazing.

DH made me print this out and write down the recipe. I'll use it for shrimp salad as well.

We are printing out hard copies now and no longer using any on-line recipe saving. Easier to just pull out the folder from the pantry.

2 lobsters 1 and 1/4lb each. Makes 4 good size lobster rolls. We made 2 jumbo and two mini ones we had for breakfast.

This is a light thin 'dressing' so not to compete with the lobster. I know many prefer butter only but we don't like how oily melted butter can be.

Minced shallot, green onion and celery, -mostly the leaves. About two Tbsp each. Juice of half a lemon and its zest. (what a pithy lemon). One Tbsp mayo of choice. One tsp sherry vinegar. Pinch of sea salt. Stir/shake made about an hour ahead and refrigerate.

Lobsters 8 min each then into an ice water bath to cool. Picked warm, tossed in dressing and served.

• User
    5 years ago

Sleevendog, I went "old school" about a year or so ago and started printing hard copies also. After I lost a bunch of stuff I had saved (not just recipes). Sites disappear, remuddle, links are deleted (like photo shop), and computers crash.

As an added advantage, I can make notes on a paper copy. I use plastic sleeves to keep the paper clean in the kitchen. I have three notebooks. One small one is for Holiday recipes, since I tend to make the same thing each time and I can add new to it. One is a big one for keepers. The last medium size is for the ones I want to try.

2ManyDiversions thanked User
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

Hard-copy recipes, YES!!! I'm a pen, paper and binder addict!!! As a kid, I always wanted to be a teacher. I loved organizing my binders etc. THEN I realized kids are involved!!! ACK!!! I do not have a maternal bone in my body......I don't even LIKE kids. I shout that out from the roof-tops. Sigh, I should have been a librarian, maybe.

I made a new recipe today, and boy is it a keeper!!! It's one of Nigella Lawson's.

My pics never do food justice, and the steam was working on the lens. Chicken pieces, peppers, leeks, black olives, garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes, olive oil......what's not to like???? Hah, that naked leg is because I just turned it over. Really, it did have some nice crisp skin on it. She calls it Italian chicken, but it's definitely Mediterranean as well, which is what I was going for. S

She used a whole chicken, and then cut it up for serving. Why go through all that bother? But at least she knows how to take pictures! Hahhaa.

Nigella's Italian chicken

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Drooling over the lobster rolls, sleevendog! Made a very spicy Thai curry on Saturday with chicken thighs and lots of veggies.

2ManyDiversions thanked cookebook
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cathy, (don’t shoot the messenger!) but I read several places that all microwaves are made by Sharp (not sure if that’s true, but they do make most drawer microwaves, including Wolf, etc. – they are re-badged). I predict your Sharp will live forever! I hear you on those darned things! We’re using DH’s old Emerson he had in his plane hanger (I had to clean ‘unspeakables’ from it!) and we call it the ‘manly microwave’ because you have to push the buttons so hard it moves the dang thing back a foot! I detest it! It’s going ‘away’ when we get the remodel done! Aw heck, you just reminded me, I was going to try the IP meatloaf (DH loves meatloaf) but forgot to get the ingredients… Yours always looks very tasty, but thank goodness you ‘got rid’ of those awful end pieces, I mean, disaster averted, right?! If those hadn’t somehow disappeared we’d all be suffering ; ) LOL! You’d think I’d be tired of risotto, wouldn’t you? But that corn risotto looks soooo good! So, did it get the bacon treatment?

Well, your blueberry galette is very pretty and sugary looking, even if the dough was a little… like a calzone! Oh-my-gosh-those-corn-fritters! They look amazingly delicious! Perfect crisp, lovely corn kernels peeking through…And 'coz I know you'll ask, I wore DH's 'Wings over Big South Fork' T Saturday, and got it good and dirty... sadly, no neighbors saw me in all my sweaty glory.

Jasdip, that bacon label is hilarious!!! Although I have to admit, not exactly sure why the education system would be responsible for teaching anyone how to cook bacon! Well, I for one think your Italian chicken looks delicious, and as you said, what’s not to love? Leeks and olives? Be still my heart! I really appreciate your report that it’s a keeper, and the link to the recipe (I’ve emailed it to myself already!)

Sleevendog… (big sigh) Really? $5.99 a lb. for a whole lobster? I’m moving. Ours are regularly $5.30 a lb. for just tails, frozen. Whole Main, live lobster is $15 a pound. Look at all that gorgeous claw meat! (another big sigh). And of course those lovely brioche rolls : ) I’m glad you shared you lobster roll recipe – while I will always love lobster and clarified butter, I must’ve stared at your earlier WFD lobster roll for hours trying to figure out the proper ratio of ingredients when looking it up online. Happy to say I used far less mayo, far more lemon (wanting the lobster to shine through after studying your photo), and pretty much the same recipe, but I did use mostly the celery rather than the leaves. There’s always a next time (after we move next door to you, of course). I agree, I keep all my recipes typed on index cards with plastic sleeves (I can be rather splashy when cooking!). I’ve more recipe boxes than I can count, though.

Ooooh cookebook, while I can’t take the heat, your Thai curry looks divine! I’ll imagine that’s just paprika on top! LOL!

I’d picked up some ‘on sale for next to nothin’ Select ribeye’s (not good cuts), about 1” thick to sous vide, so that’s what we had Saturday and they were perfectly lovely after the sous vide treatment. I was tired, so didn’t wait for the skillet to reach maximum heat, but it wasn’t a fail. Topped with thyme/cracked pepper compound butter, some horseradish and crème fraiche per DH’s request, and a steamed broccoli side. I followed Sleevendog’s example and sous vide several ‘on sale’ ribeyes and New York Strips all at once to I could prepare them quickly next time : )

Yep, no carbs with this meal...

Drooling over Ann_T’s scallops (and I confess, I’d been salivating for scallops quite some time prior!), then seeing dcarch’s incredible deconstructed BLT and T and T and T’s.. I almost jumped for joy when I ran across a recipe for BLT Scallops (no kidding, BLT Scallops!). DH is a seafood hater (but clearly that’s changing!) and I thought how could he possibly hate that, bacon lover that he is?! This looks fussier than it actually was, and I did change up some ingredients… please keep in mind, the plates were put together quickly, one on a steep slant for lack of room, the other on a storage bin sitting shoulder high : )

Basically, sea scallops pan seared, then cut in half. Sandwiched between: Baby kale cooked in avocado oil until gently crisp; Thin sliced tomato; Maple/coffee/mustard glazed bacon; Herb mayo with smoked paprika. Balsamic reduction and a lemon-basil pesto scattered about the plate. A light sprinkle of sriracha salt. And I promise the bottom half of the scallop is underneath that – just an odd camera angle.

I also made a few with low-acid yellow tomatoes, avocado, sautéed shallots, and a light sprinkle of smoked bacon salt – the others were actually better though. After plating I thought I’d never taste the delicate scallops with all that going on, but the scallops were so much larger in proportion to everything else their flavor came through. Though this meant as DH’s first (and gentle) introduction to scallops, it was truly amazing – all the flavors shown through and each bite was pretty fantastic.

Fearing DH would not like the scallops, I did make us both a ton of matchstick fries!

DH gave me one of his scallops (minus his precious bacon, tomato, crispy kale, and mayo) in trade for half my fries – happy trade for both of us.

• ann_t
    5 years ago

Sleevendog, what deal on the lobsters. I've never seen them here at that price. Great looking buns.

Jasdip, I love the flavour combinations in the Italian chicken. I often cook kalamata olives in with chicken or pasta sauces.

2ManyDiversions. Looks like you are enjoying your new toy still. I just can't get by the texture of Sous vide.

Your scallops are a work of art. Moe would be all over those. I would let you have all my scallops just for your potatoes.

Baked bagels this morning. Gave Moe the option of regular size or cocktail size. He choose cocktail. So that is what I baked.

Dinner was Smoked Salmon with cream cheese

And some decadent chicken liver pate from Cure Artisan Meat and Cheese, a local speciality gourmet shop.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

2MD, Amazing scallops plating !

Your artistic talent seem to have an instinctive link with nature. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw your design was that you have captured the interesting unique bivalve method of locomotion. Scallops can swim, but because they are blind, so they swim in erratic paths as depicted in your design.

dcarch

2ManyDiversions thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann, your bagels – have I ever mentioned my fondness for bagels? – look great! I do love lox and bagels and would happily dive into that lovely plate any time of the day. Can’t find them around here and haven’t enjoyed them in maybe 10 years now, and I’m hesitant about our salmon quality to attempt it myself. What a fine meal that surely was : ) And I’d happily trade you fries for scallops! Ha ha!

Re: the texture of sous vide (and I’m not trying to convert you!), plllog started an interesting thread some time ago regarding the texture issue, and it was explained that if the texture was off, the time was off. My single ribeye bite above looks quite mangled, but only because I packed the good steak knives (but left out the mandolin??!!) and we only have some terribly dull serrated ‘things’ to use! I’ve experienced the ‘mush’ texture twice and am more often than not now successful in avoiding it. Truly, when correctly done, anything sous vide will have the same texture as other cooking methods. Yes, I’m enjoying sous vide tremendously – I might not sous vide a Prime cut, but the lesser cuts can be made to have the taste and same tenderness/texture of a Prime cut when properly done (which I find remarkable!).

Dcarch, you make me feel so good and thank you for your very kind words (and encouragement!). I actually googled videos of sea scallops swimming! I’m hoping that by practicing a bit here and there, when I’ve a proper countertop I will improve in time. I don’t see myself ever reaching your abilities, but truthfully, I think of your plating when I’m attempting mine – mostly that everything you plate has not only an aesthetic purpose, but the flavors and textures work beautifully together (that’s difficult, IMO) – I’ve seen plating online with odd food combinations beautifully plated… but just seemed jarring in their connection and flavor combinations. I still feel that scallop plate looks like a 5 year-olds attempt at a Jackson Pollock!

Last night we had Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)… no naan with it, and I suppose I was tired of basmati as I made plain white rice instead. DH’s first time, and as usual he looked at it with suspect… asking “did you hide seafood in this?”. But he went back for seconds : )

• ann_t
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions. Now that is a nice rich looking butter chicken. I haven't made a curry recently. Maybe after it cools down again. Going to be hot here for the next few days.

I roasted a small pork sirloin roast for dinner. Served with mashed potatoes and wonderful pork gravy. And Moe's favourite canned corn. Didn't take a picture of dinner, but I remembered for dessert.

Baked chocolate brownie cookies and made ice cream sandwiches.

Our tomatoes are starting to ripen. Matt picked a few tonight.

• neely
    5 years ago

I missed so many posts, so many delicious looking dinners.

The winds of scallops made it down under here as well but no way as amazing looking as 2 many’s plating.

Scallops with spiral zucchini and hand rolled fusilli ( not hand rolled by me ) We like the roe left on scallops but I realise it doesn’t appeal to everyone.

I made a large pot of Pork Adobo (Phillipines belly pork simmered in soy sauce) which we had a couple nights with different vegetables.

If I am mistaken please let me know but it seems we haven’t heard from Annie for quite a while. Hope and trust everything is OK with her and her family.

2ManyDiversions thanked neely
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

Neely I've seen recipes for Chicken Adobo and it calls for copious amounts of soy sauce. I've been tempted, but also scared. You're the first person I 'know' who's made it. How was it?? Not too salty?

Ann_t I've got liberal use of the landlord's garden while they're away on holidays. Oh my, tomatoes galore.....big ones and cherries. I've made lots of bruschetta and eating them, but I can't keep up. What a shame.

• neely
    5 years ago

Hi Jasdip, I knew a woman from the Phillipines who used to make this Pork Adobo and she watered down the soy sauce.

So basically it was only about a cup of soy to 2 cups of water, a few sliced garlic cloves, onion, fresh ginger and approx 1 tablespoon sugar. Pour this over as much belly pork pieces so as still covered by the liquid. Simmer till very tender and the fat is melting soft. Phillipines comfort food. If you want it stronger tasting just reduce the water or increase soy. .

I guess the same would work for chicken but I haven’t tried it.

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann_t, perhaps I should be grateful for the lack of photo of your roasted pork sirloin… without an oven and my DO I just won’t attempt it! But still… I can envision yours and as your meals always look amazing, I know it was! It’s one of DH’s fav’s. Your chocolate brownie cookies look amazingly decadent… soft but a crunch topping just like a brownie… and of course ice cream! Aren’t you thrilled to have all those vine-ripe tomatoes?! Lovely! Thank you for sharing!

Neely, I disagree strongly : ) Your plating’s are always beautiful! And the scallops with fusilli (I tried that once, never got them to roll anything like those! How fortunate you can get those!) is beautiful and mouth watering! I love scallop roe but can’t get that here – I’m so incredibly envious! LOL! The pork adobe looks wonderful as well – I’m thinking pork will be on some menus soon!

No, Annie’s not posted on the WFD thread, but she did post on Lar’s offering him support. I think she’s busy since Ashley’s surgery – and I know we are all hoping to hear from her soon. Our thoughts are with you Annie : )

Didn’t cook last night – too tired and stinky again. Clearly, we have lost our minds beyond all reason… 3rd time to completely destroy our back yard in 1 year (not that it mattered, it was mostly dirt still!). DH had fun with the skid steer, now he’s playing with a track hoe. Says he wants one. Not happening. Laying pipe for a very small pond just behind the patio. Justifying the ‘share’ because hopefully, with luck and time, I’ll have a little pond to look at while grilling. Food. So there’s my justification for posting this pic!

• chas045
    5 years ago

2Many: I have no business being on WFD except very informational, but remember, there is a pond forum here. There aren't that many of us any more, but we may be able to help you out. After all, you've got nothing else to do!

2ManyDiversions thanked chas045
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks chas! Now that you mention it, I found both a Koi Pond forum and a Ponds & Aquatic Plants forum. We've built one previous pond prior, about 20+ years ago and it was amateurish! This one is different in that it will have more going on to make caring for it easier. I'll post when I've got questions - I'm sure I will. This was so nice of you!!!!

• pkramer60
    5 years ago

2Many...If I can help, let me know. I have had a pond for 40 years with 3 builds. I have both goldfish and koi.......

2ManyDiversions thanked pkramer60
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

pkramer60 and chaz045, thank you for your offer to help! As a matter of fact... [Do I need further aeration?[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/do-i-need-further-aeration-dsvw-vd~5441522?n=20) (posted in both Koi Ponds and Ponds and Aquatic Plants).

• pkramer60
    5 years ago

As an old time Japanese koi breeder once told me, the more air the better. here is another resource for you. Kiophen.com

2ManyDiversions thanked pkramer60
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ah, finally... did you mean koiphen.com ? Thanks for the link pkramer : )

• ann_t
    5 years ago

Neely, another scallop dish that Moe would love.

I'd be happy with your Pork Adobo.

Tonight's dinner.

Thai Red Curry Chicken.

5 years ago

Prepped a few different curries late Spring for the freezer...just the sauces for quick meals. New recipes to compare. Just been too hot lately. This heat wave must break soon.! Chicken and pork Adobo is in our winter rotation. First recipe years ago was made exactly by the recipe. Way too salty so we have adjusted.

Busy weekend coming up. Hatch chilis arrived this morning. Harvesting tomatoes...lots of garden produce.

10lb box. Paid early for the sale price. We will be stuffing, smoke/roasting all weekend. lots of veg. Maybe shrimp/scallop skewers.

• ann_t
    5 years ago

I wasn't hungry last night so it was a good night to make Moe and Matt a salad. They both love salads and I would be happy if I never ate a salad.

Mediterranean Tomato salad. I used at least 8 different varieties of tomatoes from our garden. Red, brown, black, yellow, orange, cherry, plum, etc.... with red onion, Kalamata olives, feta cheese, oregano, salt, pepper, toasted pistachios, with a lemon, olive oil and garlic vinaigrette .

• petalique
    5 years ago

Should folks are killing me. If only seeing and reading would satisfy my hunger.... I want to reach out and serve myself of your great cooking and captivating plating. Even some of your "modest" dinners have me drooling; no need to apologize.

Below is a combination effort. I made the "slow-rise-no-mess" artisan dough, and DH did the rest. We were out of our usual toppings, so instead used a tomato and some grilled garden zucchini, then a few herbs and red pepper flakes.

2ManyDiversions thanked petalique
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

Ann, you sure know how to make a salad! That looks incredible!!

Petalique would you post your artisan bread recipe? That's an amazing looking pizza crust.

2Many, any reason for a man to get behind a big piece of equipment, and they're happy!! Good luck with the pond-building.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Indian stuffed pepper:

Stuffed pepper, vegetarian style, with potato and Indian spices. There is a layer of egg on top, but this turned out to be unnecessary.

In the future, I'll make this without the egg, and make a mixture of potato and cauliflower, with the same Indian seasonings. Even though: this was GREAT.

2ManyDiversions thanked artemis_ma
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

There are loads of tomatoes in the garden, so I made pasta and sauteed/softened some cherry tomatoes with asparagus and goat cheese.

• neely
    5 years ago

AnnT Your Red Thai chicken looks so good and that salad is something I’d love.

Jealous of everyone’s tomatoes.

Jasdip your pasta looks so fresh and inviting.

Artemis love your stuffed pepper, potato and cauliflower with spices sounds like something I would really like.

Petalique such a yummy looking pizza.

I’ve been wanting a steak sandwich for ages and finally had one today for lunch.

With horshradish and ketchup.

I made a soup/stew with some ground beef. We needed some vegetables and this hit the spot.

The following was breakfast. Just a poached egg on toast but also with a dollop of home made Fromage Frais or Quark as sometimes known.

There were a few alternative ways of making the Fromage Frais on the net. I chose the most simple. Which was heating milk to blood temperature adding lemon juice and salt, then straining the curds through cheesecloth. DH liked it as well.

• petalique
    5 years ago

I'm getting very very hungry. All of you amaze me. You cook like this daily? Weekly?!

Jasdip -- of course, I'll tell you how I make that dough, but first I want to say a couple of things. I love good bread (but have to limit my intake). I've played around with making artisan style bread and have made more messes than successes. Once, I completely forgot a jar of sourdough starter in the fridge until it poured out the front door. I took a photo of the lava flow and haven't attempted it since.

I made a simple ciabatta after a recipe on a website ? Daily loaf? Then saw someone's idea of slow rise and stretching over a few days.

I see the fantastic breads baked by forum participants and vow that one of these days, I too will follow ann-t's instructions and taste heaven. I am too rushed these days, so have come up with a workable decent tasting pizza dough that doesn't have me bench scraping breadboards (although I enjoy doing that -sincerely; just feel to pressed for time).

I used the recipe for pizza dough on the bag of Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour -- and I modify it a bit. I make it wetter. I will post a photo of the recipe. I think I use ~ a bit less than 1 cup of water, instead of the ~ 3/4 Cup stated in the recipe. I mix all of the ingredients in a Kitchenaid stand mixer with a dough hook until it comes together. Then about 40 secs longer.

Then I transfer (plop) the wet dough into either a lightly oiled glass bowl, or lightly oiled baggy. I leave it out on the counter, covered (if baggy, I just tap the loose ends of the bag a bit -- I don't seal it). It rises rather slowly. After about a couple of hours, I remove the plastic wrap from the top and stretch and fold over the dough -- in one direction, then the other, allowing air to be trapped inside the dough a bit. (I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.) I leave it on the counter and try to remember to stretch-fold it every 2 to 4 hours. If I use a baggy, I get truly lazy, and attempt this short stretch-fold exercise through the plastic bag -- thinking it might save a few hand washes and counter clean up.

At night, I put the dough into the refrigerator, giving it a stretch-fold before saying goodnight. I might do this routine for two or three days. I'd leave it in the refrigerator all that time, but I'd likely forget it was there and forget to stretch or fold the dough down. (If it over rises and exhausts the ?yeast?, I have to stop the presses and rehabilitate it.)

I make two batches in succession. We freeze one and use one after about 3 days. Lately, I have been halving the batches, so for each dough recipe, I get two thin crust pizzas.

I don't flatten before I bake. I coat a 16" heavy gauge aluminum pizza pan w EVOO and a dusting of fine corn meal (harina?). Set the electric oven with fan at ~550 deg F. I put a very thin barrier coat of EVOO on the top of stretch dough in pan. Then add whatever topping, but avoid wet toppings (pre cook mushrooms, thinly sliced Italian tomatoes, avoid thick layer of topping in center. Bake bottom rack for about 7 mins. And use a fish spatula (after pizza pan removed) to lift up crust (exhaust over-stove fan on high) and allow trapped steam to escape. (No one likes a soggy crust.)

That's about it. If freezes well. If you like calzone, just fold over. Works on outside grill as well -- with a few modifications.

One of the bakers here will perhaps explain why I think it works better (easier to handle, fold and gives better holey crumb) when I add a bit more water to the dough. Someday I hope to understand and experiment with percent hydrations. These days I'm always in a hurry, hungry and pragmatic.

HTH and sorry it was long.

Edit for clarity

2ManyDiversions thanked petalique
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions Petalique!!!

I made a well-done roast in my cast iron chicken fryer. Carrots and onions around it. Boiled new potatoes and asparagus.

• nancyofnc
    5 years ago

Tea Sandwiches for my knitting group's Yarn Swap Party. I had to put labels on them with the fillings I used because there is always someone who says, "What's this?". They are all vegetables - no meat or fish.The cutest ones are hard to see - they're hallowed out mini cucumber thick slices filled with homemade boursin and topped with a colored Goldfish cracker. The best flavor surprise was my homemade orange marmalade on ricotta.

2ManyDiversions thanked nancyofnc
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So many great looking meals!

Ann_t, how on earth you can’t love your salads I don’t know! They always look delicious. How wonderful to have so many lovely tomatoes. I get you aren’t a salad eater, but… my goodness!

Petalique, I was hoping someone would post a pizza – I’m so hungry for pizza. Your tomato and zucchini looks incredibly tasty – don’t you love how great those ‘whatever we’ve got’ pizzas always come out?! Always a pleasant surprise!

Artemis_ma, you never fail to surprise me; I’d never have thought to stuff a pepper with potatoes, let alone Indian spices – sounds and looks so good. I need to be more adventurous : )

Jasdip, your pasta and tomato meal looks the best to me and has my mouth watering : ) Something about that combination just tastes so good. I’ve not made that this summer… yet! I like that you used asparagus. Your pot roast is making me pretty hungry too – we love a good well-done, melt in your mouth roast. Only thing I don’t like is how the onions always melt down to nothing and I find myself searching for more in the DO!

Neely, I don’t even know where to start – that steak sandwich looks delish, your soup/stew is wonderful (you always have such nice chunky veg!). I know what you mean about sometimes just needing vegetables! But you do know what caught my attention! Your fromage frais with the poached egg on toast! Looks marvelous!

Nancyofnc, I do that too! (put labels on food for parties). Your tea sandwiches turned out so pretty – and I can almost taste the marmalade/ricotta! Those tomato ‘bugs’ are adorable and I bet they were a hit too!

ETA: Sleevendog, for some reason your posts never show up for a while for me! Wanted to say that tomato pic... oh my gosh. That's all I can say! Speechless! Also, thanks for the help with sous vide - that black and blue steak salad below took me zero time to put together because the steak was already done except for searing - following your example : )

Thursday I wanted to grill, so gorgonzola burgers 3-bean bake, and grilled corn. That’s not a lettuce tree growing out of the burger, just an odd camera angle!

2nd Photos for Uploading · More Info

Friday was busy, so poofed ribs – Ann_T’s recipe – so good! Made more Tunnel Bar-b-que sauce but didn’t thin it as much with Stubb’s and found it was more to our liking with that kick. Made DH some country baby kale (you know, cooked to death with bacon, vinegar, chicken stock).

Saturday I needed veg, so black and blue salad hit the spot for both of us. Yes, that’s my plate. Yes, I eat that much : )

Sunday we had Mesquite Salmon with herbed mayo/mustard seed sauce, roasted cherry tomatoes (from my neighbor’s garden) with shallots and basil, and rice.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Nancy, those ladybugs are so cute, I'm going to try to remember that for one of our family dinners! The orange marmalade/ricotta mixture sounds delicious, but I'd go straight for the asparagus...

Oh dear, I'm so far behind, I'll never catch up. Ashley went home yesterday, and I had tomatoes waiting to can. I did a double batch of enchilada sauce, one of stewed tomatoes, the last of the green beans. Tomorrow I'm making ajvar with the peppers and eggplant, it's supposed to rain finally.

I haven't made one single thing for dinner that is worth posting or mentioning and several nights I skipped it altogether, just feeding the girls and Ashley. The girls like the typical "kid food", so they had mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, lots of fruit. The two of them ate an entire watermelon in two days! Oh, and one morning I made Nutella French Toast Roll Ups, that was a hit, Madison ate FIVE of them and then proclaimed me the best cook of all the Grandmas. Of course, Nutella was involved, so I won't pat myself on the back too much, she loves Nutella.

I'm playing catch-up in the garden and with the canning, but I'm finally back home. Ashley is recovering slowly, but I could see a big difference in the week she spent with me. I'm tired, though, I forgot what living with a 4 year old and a 6 year old was like. Maci had her 5th birthday while she was here and I made BBQ beef sandwiches and a unicorn cake. Ashley made the face on the cake and she learned that fondant was heavy and an "eye" made of several layers was going to slide down the side of the buttercream frosting. I propped it up with a toothpick, LOL, and she figured out why those unicorns all have two eyes closed. (grin) The girls got their hair "spray dyed" rainbow too, complete with their own unicorn horns. It took me three days to wash the color out of their hair but they loved it.

And so, I'm back.

Annie

2ManyDiversions thanked annie1992
  • neely
    5 years ago

Great to see you back again Annie and so good to hear that your daughter is getting well again. You are the best Grandmother.

2 many, all you dinners look amazing, delicious as well as good looking on the plate. I well understand your description of country kale LoL.

Nancyofnc great looking tea sandwiches and yummy combinations... I had to enlarge to see the fish and Yes there they are.

Looks yummy Jasdip. We plate up alike don’t you think?

petalique, thanks for your thoughts on making the dough, most welcome to a newbie baker like me.

The following is salt and pepper squid with salad. I bought them already breaded (blush)

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Annie, it's so good to see you!!! Best wishes and good thoughts for Ashley.

I love the girls' unicorn hair! You ARE the best grandma, hands down.

• ann_t
    5 years ago

Jasdip, comfort food at its best.

Nancy, cute tea sandwiches, especially the ladybugs.

2ManyDiversions, I see you are still eating well while the renovations are going on. I'm so impressed.

Annie, you have been missed. Good to hear that Ashley is recovering well enough to go home. The two girls are adorable.

Neely, that meal is nothing to blush about. Moe would be happy with salt and pepper squid, especially if it came served with a salad.

I made Moe rigatoni for breakfast one morning with Italian Sausage and meatballs. I took the same thing to work with me for lunch.

Sunday night's dinner was grilled baby back ribs with roasted potatoes in the CSO.

And a caprese salad. Garden fresh tomatoes.

I baked bagels again yesterday. Last weeks batch didn't last long and Moe requested them again.

We had them again with smoked salmon and this time I made my favourite Chicken Liver Pate with a black pepper aspic.

The pate is Jacques Pepin's recipe. So rich and decadent with 1 1/2 cups of butter.

• ann_t
    5 years ago

Yesterday's pick.

Roasting in the oven.

• User
    5 years ago

I had made a Volcano cake for my youngest grandson one year and it was a hit. I saw the Checkerboard Cake on Yahoo and thought well that doesn't look hard.

https://mycupcakeaddiction.com/en/recipes/rainbow-surprise-inside-checker-board-cake

Needless to say, mine didn't turn out like that. I raked all of it into a large pan, icing and all, and made just a 3 layer, 3 color cake for his birthday. I was going to throw it away, but hubby said keep it. Smart man. We had all three that time for a week or so and finished off the birthday cake.

I got the scraped and dumped cake out of the frig and told them what happened. I called it the "Unicorn Barf Cake". They loved it and talk about it to this day. That was five or six years ago.

2ManyDiversions thanked User
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie, so good to see you back (I’d say “and rested” but clearly not!). Happy to hear Ashley’s home and on the mend. Love that you made French toast rollups, dyed the locks of those cuties with rainbows, and ‘helped’ with the cake!

Neely, glad someone gets the ‘country’ veggies thing! I’ve never eaten squid, but that looks good and I’d love to try it someday – and yes, I’ve bought pre-breaded food before, so no blushing allowed! : )

Ann_t, I’ve a confession. Every time you post a recipe that looks delicious I look for it on your website : ) Found your rigatoni (bless you), and I want to try it – that looks so good! I already know how good your baby-backs were : ) Ah, bagels and smoked salmon with chicken liver pate? Again with the salmon and homemade bagels? I’m trying hard not to drool. As for those tomatoes roasting… sigh.

No cooking these past few days... will poof something tonight as my body is shouting 'no!' to all the takeout. Even takeout salads.

• User
    5 years ago

Ann, your caprese salad looks so good! What kind of tomatoes?

And what did you do with the roasted tomatoes? I've never roasted with the stem on.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor