SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin6412

Adding Egress or "walk up" door to basement-OMG $$$$$$$$!

5 years ago

Hi all- really need your input. Single mom here and worry I am at risk of getting swindled or making a mistake that will harm my foundation! I have a home based hair business and need to add steps and an egress door so that people can come and go safely from my basement. I have had CRAZY bids here in Dublin OH (suburb of Columbus) where the cost of living is pretty reasonable. Bids range from 20k-40k. I was thinking of spending 10-15k. My questions for everyone:

1, I will eventually be finishing the rest of the basement-while i am having this major work done, what other things should I consider having done? double doors vs single for more light? Adding a larger window (windows are the very small kind and let in little light.

2. How worried should I be that his will do perm damage to a basement that currently has zero cracks and no water-house built in 99. I am using reputable firms that employ engineers to guide them on plans, but still. seems scary

3. Has anyone had this done? Can you give me an idea of what prices I should be expecting? 20k seems insane to me.

Thanks very much!

Erin

Comments (4)