SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Adding a bathroom in a basement...

claire_de_luna
13 years ago

...where there is none. How hard would this be? With the mortgage rate at record lows, we are thinking of refinancing again as our house needs a new roof. I keep thinking I'd also like to add a bathroom to our basement where the laundry room used to be. There is a set of stairs to the outside very close to the area, so getting materials to the basement would be fairly easy, as we wouldn't have to come through the house.

How much do you think I would have to budget to add a toilet, a sink, finished floors, ceiling and walls? (I am only toying with the idea, not having committed to it yet.) There's a drain, hot/cold water lines, and the sewer pipe is very close to where I'd like to add a toilet. I have a vintage sink with double drainboards, so that's covered. Also, is a shower really necessary? (I'm thinking I'd like to forgo that aspect in order to keep costs down, but don't want to be penny-wise and pound foolish.) My goal is something nice, vintage inspired and not terribly extravagant. (It is the basement after all.) I do think it would help my ultimate resale value down the road to have a bathroom there. Does anyone have a better clue than I do about ballpark costs to do something like this?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals