SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littleprince2

Adding second bathroom: help with layout?

littleprince2
7 years ago

I have a 1300 sf home and want to add a second bathroom to the main floor (it is a single storey ranch with an 8' basement).

picture #1 shows the whole house (not exactly to scale). I want to add the bathroom to bedroom #1.

picture #2 shows a close up of bedroom #1 with the new bathroom. The measurements on picture #2 are accurate (picture #1's measurements are not, sorry).

Other houses in the neighbourhood are a bit smaller, and so the homeowners have decided to put the second bathroom in the basement.

My house is bigger than the others in the 'hood because the previous owners put an addition on the back to create a large(r) master bedroom. You can see the addition as the bump out at the top of the page in the picture #1.

What I'd like to do is use that bumpout space to put in a second bathroom instead of finishing the basement. That bump out has a crawl space through which to route plumbing.

I don't want to finish the basement because I worry about mould problems.

One thing to note is that the bathroom I'm proposing eats away at the bedroom space so I was thinking that I could bust out the closet at the bottom of the second picture to add an extra 29.5" and make the bedroom ~13'3" long x 10'8" wide, which is an acceptable size by neighbourhood standards.

The new bathroom would also swallow the window so I would need to add a window along the right-hand wall in picture #2.

Could you let me know of this layout is ok and if not, could you provide suggestions on how to improve it? Thnaks.

Comment